Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Residential Fridge Lock Fail

We were coming north from wintering in Florida a couple of days ago with a full fridge. I took a left turn a little sharper than I should have and the black plastic locking mechanism between the three doors on my Whilrlpool residential fridge came unglued from the main body of the fridge, That's right, the locking mechanism is glued on, no screws.
The resulting mess was difficult to describe.
The resulting discussion with DW was difficult to describe.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, did you re-glue it to the fridge or use screws? Any other help you could share?
I can't imagine my fridge is the only one with this epic fail.
- Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would suggest re-attaching it with some nice stainless steel screws, and give these to your wife......
Had a large potatoe salad come flying out of our fridge when I hit a bump on a corener at a very inopertune time. Always make sure the fridge is closed tight now!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
As a backup bunge cord tightly all 3 doors together.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know several RVers who that placed heavy duty hooks in hidden areas of both sides of their residential refrigerators and use bungee cords as a back up while traveling.

I have a Dometic RV fridge, but I also live with a capuchin monkey who learned how to open the fridge on day 2. Bungees on both doors are essential.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #5

If you screw it on, BE VERY CAREFUL! There can be refrigerant lines almost anywhere on the fridge cabinet. Probably not on the doors, but not sure. Might be water line in the door though, especially if you have water dispenser in the door.

Don't ask how I know this. :(
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I didn't make it clear but the hooks need to be screwed into the cabinetry on either side and not into the fridge itself. I personally wouldn't risk putting a hole into any panel on a fridge or freezer. You might be able to back out an existing screw and put an attachment loop under it and screw it back in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for all the great advice. I did most of that when I had a Samsung 197 in my last MH.
What I'm looking for is help from anybody that had the same type of residential fridge lock that came unglued. Maybe mine's the first???
This a Whirlpool 22 cube fridge in a '15 DSDP 4369.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Re-attaching Refrigerator Lock Assembly

They are attached with 3-M double-sided black tape. The first time I tried to re-attach it was a failure. Newmar told me to use an adhesion promoter prior to using the 3-M tape. I couldn't find the adhesion promoter at the local auto parts store so ended up ordering from Amazon. Second time around I cleaned everything really well with alcohol and used the promoter. So far everything is working like a charm. DW also uses spring bar curtain rods inside the refrigerator as a precaution.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #9

I haven't had a problem with the lock yet--- I also use spring bars inside to make sure things don't shift during travels.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monfish View Post
They are attached with 3-M double-sided black tape. The first time I tried to re-attach it was a failure. Newmar told me to use an adhesion promoter prior to using the 3-M tape. I couldn't find the adhesion promoter at the local auto parts store so ended up ordering from Amazon. Second time around I cleaned everything really well with alcohol and used the promoter. So far everything is working like a charm. DW also uses spring bar curtain rods inside the refrigerator as a precaution.

I had thought that I might use 2 part epoxy on it but am a little cautious since I'd never get it off if I had to.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Having had the doors opening at the most inappropriate time, my wife has put a small cutting board, wrapped with a kitchen towel between the two door handles. We tried a bungee cord but it was too elastic and the doors opened just enough to let small items call out. We don't use the plastic lock/latch since it is worn enough to not be effective.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours came with a short bit of nylon strapping with plastic connections, snap together and no issue (the reverse is also true, I'm sorry to note, no strap - problem [emoji45]).

It seems like a length of the two sided Velcro tape (sometimes sold to hold coiled cord together) would also meet the need if used between the refrigerator handles. That's my plan for when the plastic ends on my nylon strap fail.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #13

I had mine come off also. I forgot the lock was on and I pulled hard to open the doors. I cleaned it with alcohol and used 3M double sided tape to stick it back on. It has stayed on for the last year. I use the spring rods to keep everything in the fridge from moving towards the doors just in case.
4everide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #14

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
How about these Gear Ties you can get them at Amazon, Home Depot or Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEHOC?psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	156824  
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge