Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 07:46 PM   #1

Residential fridge question

All my previous RVs had propane fridges, our new Dutch Star on order comes with a residential fridge. During late spring - early fall when we would go camping I had to stop by the storage lot the night before we left for a camp trip and turn on the fridge, on propane it would take at least 8 hours to go from 75 degrees to under 40. My question is with a residential fridge how long roughly does it take to get cold enough to store food? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers, Mike
2018 DS4326 on order

Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #2

Hour. There is a fast cold setting on ours.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
No more than an hour
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies.
😎
Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would say quicker than your frozen food could thaw. Especially if you have everything chilled from the start. Your DSDP should have plenty of battery reserve to start the fridge the night before if you wish, as long as the batteries start out fully charged.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Do you keep you coach on shore power when in your storage lot. I had my Samsung installed 4 years ago and had a new Magnum 2812 inverter installed and my frig has never been turn off. It's on going down the road, dry camping, and plugged into shore power that way I don't have to set the microwave clock.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #7

No at the storage lot there is not power supply. We are adding 480w of solar so the batteries should stay charged all the time, but not enough to leave the fridge on. In the past I would show up the day/night before turn the fridge on then when we arrived to leave the fridge was cold, just hoping with the new setup we can avoid that extra trip ( the storage lot is about a 25 min drive from our S&B house). Most of our camping takes us South across the Can/US border (yup we are Canadians) so we drive about 3 hours before we stop for groceries, but sometimes when we camp locally we show up with everything we will need.

Mike
Old 12-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #8

Mike
I would think if you drive about 3 hours before you get your groceries, it should be cold. Just make sure it is running when you leave
2 stroker
Old 12-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Your 4369 should have automatic generator starting so you’ll never have to worry about your batteries even when you’re not plugged in.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure how long it takes to cool down our fridge.........I believe the books say 24 hours to be totally cooled - - but don't quote me there please. You will notice a quick cool down but not sure if it will be a safe temp to put food in. My point being - - even tho it will cool down much faster than propane - the machine still needs time to come to safe food storage temps.......

I'll start my fridge about 18 hours before I put food in it. I do start on shore power. I will go to inverter about 12 hours prior to loading.

Battery use is negligible - if the meter is reading 12.6 when I turn it on - - it reads 12.5 when I return to the motor home and load the fridge. Even have ice cubes made and ready to go.

Your batteries will be new. If maintained - - you'll never have a problem or require the AGS.

Now a little trick a Newmar tech told me.........if you can cool it down while on shore power - it will draw less off your batteries to maintain cool temps.......it takes nothing more than 20 amp service to run your fridge on shore power for initial cool down..

Good luck and how exciting getting your new motor coach.........now all the anticipation runs wild! LOL

Be safe and welcome ti the Newmar family.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Do you keep you coach on shore power when in your storage lot. I had my Samsung installed 4 years ago and had a new Magnum 2812 inverter installed and my frig has never been turn off. It's on going down the road, dry camping, and plugged into shore power that way I don't have to set the microwave clock.
2 stroker
How long will it take to run the batteries down if you left nothing on except the refrigerator, and no other power source?
jjcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcrawfish View Post
How long will it take to run the batteries down if you left nothing on except the refrigerator, and no other power source?
In the summer when we do some dry camping, it takes around 10 to 12hrs for my batteries to go from 12.6v to 12.2v with just the frig on. We camp 6 days DC at a family rally, start the gen-set at 7am fix coffee and other things off at 9am restart at 7pm off at 9pm only thing running would be the frig on the inverter.
2 stroker
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
With 8 batteries, I can go 24 hours and stay above 50% SOC. I once tested it at home and went 42 hours before the AGS started the generator.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #14

Mike, a couple buddies have told me that with 8 house batteries (which I assume you will also have) I will be able to run my fridge and even a TV for at least 48 hours. My point is I think if your house if fully charged you could easily stop at storage and turn your frig on the day before leaving.

Tags
fridge