Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #29

I would say keep your coach off of a residential driveway. If visiting, finding a local park to keep the coach at is generally not difficult. Hopefully you have a toad in tow for visiting, and you can always invite friends out to the campground for some burnt hot dogs and somemores!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
All you have to do is measure the tire pressure. The pressure on the ground will be the same as the tire pressure.
Gordon Dewald
Using that logic a "flat tire" would put NO pressure on the ground...which is simply not true.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Glad I didn't read this before I drove our DP on our new driveway after our last trip to unload. Nothing happened, but DW suggests the driveway cost too much to do it again.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Gordon Dewald
Using that logic a "flat tire" would put NO pressure on the ground...which is simply not true.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Glad I didn't read this before I drove our DP on our new driveway after our last trip to unload. Nothing happened, but DW suggests the driveway cost too much to do it again.

Walt
Obviously I don't know how you constructed your new driveway, I had mine constructed with fiber reinforced concrete, 6" thick on top of gravel and clay. New garage has the same construction to the floor.

I have had both my Class A and Class C parked on the driveway and/or garage floor for over 5 years now with out any sign of cracking or other deleterious affect. Additionally friend parked his 5er here while in the area house hunting.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #34

In a rural area I would not stress as much as homes built far from the road tend to have larger trucks come up to the house (the propane truck that comes up to my house is nearly 30k lbs.). That said, I would never pull up to (nor would I fit) on someone's driveways in a tight subdivision. There we commonly park in front of ppls houses and not deploy the street side slide (our only slide).

As you can see below, we have spent many a night sitting in someone's driveway without problems. But I always warn first, and make sure they understand the risks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469907438.003379.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	134527

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469907492.558895.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	134528
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Gordon Dewald
Mel
'96 Safari

LOL - good one!

I would agree a flat tire puts no pressure on the ground because the load is supported by the rim when it touches. NOTE: There is a slight caveat (for the purists) in that the sidewall and belts will supply a very little bit of lift even when flat, but not of significance in this conversation.

If a tire is inflated to 90 lbs/sq.in the pressure on the ground will be 90 lbs /sq.in. If you deflate that tire to 45 lbs the contact area of the tire will double to support the load that is on it. The resultant pressure on the ground will be 45 lbs/sq.in. If tire continues to deflate the contact area will continue to expand until the rim touches.

You cannot have a tire inflated to 90 lbs / sq.in. with a resultant pressure on the ground of 45 lbs / sq.in. The inverse true. You cannot inflate a tire to 45 lbs/sq.in and have the ground pressure at 90 lbs/sq.in.

The difference is pressure (lbs/sq in) and load (lbs).
Old 07-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I would guess that a flat tire puts no pressure on the ground because the rim touches.

If you inflate a tire to 90 lbs/sq.in the pressure on the ground will be 90 lbs /sq.in.
The rim would certainly transfer weight to the concrete.

Something seems a bit fuzzy in this logic.

Ultimately the entire weight of the coach is transferred to the concrete vis it's touch points whether those touch points are tires or rims.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #37
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
The best answer I have heard in all the posts is use common sense. If you have none, never park anywhere but on your own property or public roads that are not restricted for weight.

If you have common sense, if your friends driveway is used by large trucks without problem, go, ahead and use it. If you wife's sister lives in the country and you will be staying off the driveway on hard packed dirt, go ahead and park. If your brother lives in a HOA that dislikes RVs and their driveway has cracks in it, don't do it

Ken I think said it best, don't do (borrow) anything you can't aford to replace.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #38

[QUOTE=Gordon Dewald;3188061
If a tire is inflated to 90 lbs/sq.in the pressure on the ground will be 90 lbs /sq.in. If you deflate that tire to 45 lbs the contact area of the tire will double to support the load that is on it. The resultant pressure on the ground will be 45 lbs/sq.in. If tire continues to deflate the contact area will continue to expand until the rim touches.

You cannot have a tire inflated to 90 lbs / sq.in. with a resultant pressure on the ground of 45 lbs / sq.in. The inverse true. You cannot inflate a tire to 45 lbs/sq.in and have the ground pressure at 90 lbs/sq.in.

The difference is pressure (lbs/sq in) and load (lbs).[/QUOTE]

Gordon D
That is "fuzzy logic" indeed.

The inflation pressure, (PSI in the tires), has very little, if anything, to do with the PSI exerted on the ground by the weight of the coach.

As sdennislee said in post #36 "the entire weight of the coach is transferred to the concrete via it's touch points whether those touch points are tires or rims"....(I'll add to that "OR leveling jacks, jack stands, concrete blocks or wood blocks").

Only increasing the area of the footprint of whatever is supporting the coach weight... or reducing the weight of the coach can reduce the PSI exerted on the ground.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Gordon D
That is "fuzzy logic" indeed.

The inflation pressure, (PSI in the tires), has very little, if anything, to do with the PSI exerted on the ground by the weight of the coach.

As sdennislee said in post #36 "the entire weight of the coach is transferred to the concrete via it's touch points whether those touch points are tires or rims"....(I'll add to that "OR leveling jacks, jack stands, concrete blocks or wood blocks").

Only increasing the area of the footprint of whatever is supporting the coach weight... or reducing the weight of the coach can reduce the PSI exerted on the ground.

Mel
'96 Safari
My point exactly. Assuming the tire is supporting the entire weight you can increase the footprint by reducing the tire pressure. If you reduce the tire pressure by half the ground pressure PSI will be reduced by half.

All I am saying is if the tire is inflated to 90 PSI the resultant contact area will be such that the resultant ground pressure will be approximately 90 PSI.

Questionable ground conditions can be crossed by reducing the tire pressure in regular tires. Many service trucks in the oilfield have on the go inflation systems so they can reduce their tire pressure to get to their off road destination, load, load, get to good roads and then inflate to normal tire pressures. Same with some logging trucks. Tundra buggies with their large tires will have as little as 5 psi inflation.

I am saying that while you go out and measure the tire contact area and divide it into the axle weight to determine the ground pressure I will be happy enough to use the tire pressure as my ground pressure psi.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Assuming the tire is supporting the entire weight you can increase the footprint by reducing the tire pressure.
I am saying that while you go out and measure the tire contact area and divide it into the axle weight to determine the ground pressure I will be happy enough to use the tire pressure as my ground pressure psi.
Gordon D
I agree.

Do you do a weight/area/PSI computation, (and reduce the air pressure in your tires accordingly), before you park on any questionable driveway or parking lot?

Wondering

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Gordon D
I agree.

Do you do a weight/area/PSI computation, (and reduce the air pressure in your tires accordingly), before you park on any questionable driveway or parking lot?

Wondering

Mel
'96 Safari

This has certainly become interesting. Going from a statement that the tire pressure would be similar to ground pressure to reducing pressure to get across a questionable driveway.

To answer your question if I would reduce pressure it depends.

You could reduce pressure but it would/may be entirely impractical. Having said that if it were important enough someone might consider it for a one time event.

The major issue is repetitive flexing of the surface material if the base is soft. Considering the weight dispersion to the base material it would be practical to reduce tire pressure on questionable surfaces such as driveways if one could easily change tire pressure.

If one had a well constructed driveway of compacted soil free of deleterious material, about 4 - 6" of well graded, compacted gravel and 4 - 5" of good concrete you should be able to safely drive your coach across on a regular basis. Main thing is to have a solid base to prevent excessive flexing of the surface.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
One other key item is proper drainage. Many highways have a curtain type drain alongside to keep water drained well away.
When our house was built we were required to have a curtain drain to lower the water table and it so happens to run along driveway on top side. The engineer said along with helping the septic we also had the benefit of helping the drive.
We have 4" slab on a good base and only fiber. Been 23 years and the drive still looks great with no cracks.
Our RV is parked on an additional slab which is approx 5" thick. So far it has been holding up well.