Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #43

[QUOTE=Gordon Dewald;
To answer your question if I would reduce pressure it depends.
[/QUOTE]

I was really more interested in whether you DID or DO... rather than if you WOULD.

Seems counterproductive to me 'cause you would have to add air before you drive... but adding that air while parked on a questionable surface would decease the area of contact, increase the PSI on the surface and could damage that surface...(thereby negating any benefit of letting air out in the 1st place).

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I was really more interested in whether you DID or DO... rather than if you WOULD.

Seems counterproductive to me 'cause you would have to add air before you drive... but adding that air while parked on a questionable surface would decease the area of contact, increase the PSI on the surface and could damage that surface...(thereby negating any benefit of letting air out in the 1st place).

Mel
Absolutely correct if you added air while sitting. You would have to return to the firm surface prior to airing up or any benefit is/could be lost on the return to "terra firma".

I have not and probably will not let air out of the tires. Have never entered a situation where it was the only alternative. I have/do lay out sheets of 3/4 inch plywood to get across soft spots to protect the grass in our yard and will continue to do so when necessary.

Each situation is unique and the set of circumstances will determine my action to solve the problem. There are way too many "what ifs" to give an absolute answer. I do not mind taking extra effort if I think the return is worthwhile.

I will propose a scenario for you to consider. You dearly love Aunt Emmie. You are her only living relative. She has recently had an operation and will be recuperating for a month. In order for her to return to her home (one bedroom) you are required to check up on her three times a day. You can move your motorhome into her driveway safely if you reduce the tire pressure to 45 psi. The nearest campground is an hour away one way. I just made this up so you probably will find the third solution, but what would you consider lowering the air pressure. And don't say buy some sheets of plywood to drive across!! LOL
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Absolutely correct if you added air while sitting. You would have to return to the firm surface prior to airing up or any benefit is/could be lost on the return to "terra firma".

I have not and probably will not let air out of the tires. Have never entered a situation where it was the only alternative. I have/do lay out sheets of 3/4 inch plywood to get across soft spots to protect the grass in our yard and will continue to do so when necessary.

Each situation is unique and the set of circumstances will determine my action to solve the problem. There are way too many "what ifs" to give an absolute answer. I do not mind taking extra effort if I think the return is worthwhile.

I will propose a scenario for you to consider. You dearly love Aunt Emmie. You are her only living relative. She has recently had an operation and will be recuperating for a month. In order for her to return to her home (one bedroom) you are required to check up on her three times a day. You can move your motorhome into her driveway safely if you reduce the tire pressure to 45 psi. The nearest campground is an hour away one way. I just made this up so you probably will find the third solution, but what would you consider lowering the air pressure. And don't say buy some sheets of plywood to drive across!! LOL
Gordon
Thanks for the interesting and thought provoking discussion but methinks Aunt Emmie will be saying in the hospital for another month...my coach won't be sitting anywhere for a month on tires deflated to only 45 psi.
No disrespect intended to either you, or to Aunt Emmie. LOL

BTW I appreciate the fact that you, like me, are not taking this whole thing overly serious.
Thanks for that as well...(it's easy to unintentionally offend some people).

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Gordon
Thanks for the interesting and thought provoking discussion but methinks Aunt Emmie will be saying in the hospital for another month...my coach won't be sitting anywhere for a month on tires deflated to only 45 psi.
No disrespect intended to either you, or to Aunt Emmie. LOL

BTW I appreciate the fact that you, like me, are not taking this whole thing overly serious.
Thanks for that as well...(it's easy to unintentionally offend some people).

Mel
Well as a suggestion you could take some blocks and lift the coach with the jacks. Tires saved. So Aunt Emmie may be sprung. You are such a good nephew. LOL

No I do not take things too seriously. It is always fun to debate a topic and perhaps share or learn some knowledge.