Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #1

Residential vs Propane Refrigerator

We are upgrading to a 3718 Dutch Star and I’m trying to decide between a Residential vs Propane refrigerator. We spend a fair bit of time without hookups. I’m having a hard time getting data I can trust on how long we can camp without hookups before we need to start the generator. Assume typical living, 12v only, no solar. Any info and real life experience will be helpful. Thanks.
Frank94062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends of course on how large the capacity your battery bank is. Likely the RR option includes additional batteries. Our coach was four without - six with.

Daily generator run of at least a couple three hours or more is likely.

We dry camp. Three coaches. Current is first with RR. Live it. Would never go back to a RV unit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is our first RR in an RV and we also would never go back to the RV fridge. Our limiting factor for dry camping is the water usage of the macerator toilets. Tried to get one non-macerator toilet and dealer said it could not be done. We don't dry camp that often. I think the all electric was a good choice for us.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

When they started putting residential refrigerators in smaller units they found they had to add a second battery to make it through the night. Consider that around 8-12 hours. One can buy bigger batteries that will last longer but should give you a clue.

FWIW I am not a fan of residential refrigerators. I do understand a lot more about power balancing than most folks. They do not seem to be worth the hassle to get enough batteries into anything less than a dp.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
I have 4= 6 volt Trojans and they last 48 Hrs +- running Residential fridge +lights small 5 cu ft freezer.
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I think Newmar puts 8 batteries in their total electric coaches if that's the direction you are going. If you are getting a RR, then you might as well and gain the extra storage space in lieu of the propane tank. My 07 was an early TE coach and only came with 6 batteries, but I have upgraded to 8. With 900 Ah, I can easily go 24 hours, but I usually start the gen in the AM and again in the PM. One very important piece of equipment is a battery monitor like the Magnum BMK. If it's not an option, I would have one installed immediately. It's like a fuel gauge for your batteries.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank94062 View Post
We are upgrading to a 3718 Dutch Star and I’m trying to decide between a Residential vs Propane refrigerator. We spend a fair bit of time without hookups. I’m having a hard time getting data I can trust on how long we can camp without hookups before we need to start the generator. Assume typical living, 12v only, no solar. Any info and real life experience will be helpful. Thanks.
Hi Frank,

Welcome...I SEE IT’s your first post.

I can’t really help you with what’s typical...I can tell you what an all-electric coach sitting unplugged...MS2812 Inverter supplying power to the fridge, outlets, microwave circuitry, a couple of security cameras and wall chargers...we average around 10.8 amps per hour of combined 12v storage drain.

Stored...our eight Interstate batteries (928aH) will keep the fridge and residual drains going for just under 2 days...respecting a 50% limit on AH use for battery health. That is not using Solar.

Living unplugged, We’re unable to provide you with accurate data...we have no propane...use Oasis for heating and hot water, fans or air conditioning on generator, and we have added Solar... We did a 5 day stay in Albuquerque un-plugged and I found that we would have to be very frugal to go Solar alone. We decided to enjoy our espresso...assist with recharging in the evening so that we could run floor fans, etc...all night (love air circulation)...we totaled 6.5 Hrs on the generator over the five days. I’m sure with a little discipline and clear sunny skies we could learn to need even less. Without Solar, I think most folks routinely run a generator a little each day. Having your system topped up each day...just seems to make it easier to manage. If you do intend to cycle Lead Acid batteries without fully charging them...they recommend doing a complete charge weekly or so to prevent sulfation.

When we ordered our coach we had an option to either add residential fridge, which came with a 2000w Inverter and two additional batteries, or go all-electric...which added the 2800w Inverter, removed the propane, added four batteries, induction cooktop, Convection/Microwave, and Oasis for furnace and hot water.

I hope you come across somebody that has done exactly the same upgrade, so you can get some apples to apples comparisons.

Please just ask...if there is anything I can test on my end to give you data that you need. I have a battery monitor installed...so I can read the amp loads whenever I flip something on/off...etc...

I forgot to mention...during my 10.8a drain test...we had the ice maker turned off...water pump off...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A lot depends on what you do during the day, but you'll be running your generator between 3-4 hours a day. That sounds like a lot, but really isn't. For us, we typically get up in the morning and start the generator. This replenishes the batteries from overnight use and allows you to do your cooking, showers and morning prep. About the time you're ready to head out for the day, you'll have about 1.5 - 2 hours of charge time, which will be pretty much fully charged.

Around dinner time, fire up the generator, cook and eat dinner and shut the generator down, usually another 1.5 - 2 hours.

Obviously, there are several variables like watching TV all day, (a lot of battery use) or being gone all day until late evening, (little battery use).

We converted our 2005 Diplomat to a residential refrigerator in about 2009 and would NEVER go back. The days of having lukewarm food and drinks after driving on 90-100 degree days is gone. No more opening the door and grabbing something as fast as you can so you don't let the cold air out.

If you find that you're boon docking more than you thought, buy a small Honda 2000 generator and use it to charge your coach batteries rather than run the big diesel if it bothers you.

The REALITY......at the current price of diesel, running your generator is the cheapest option, versus some who add thousands in solar. That's a lot of diesel fuel.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Our current coach is our third with a residential refrigerator. No way would we ever go back. While we don't boondock for large periods of time we do enough to know the parameters. The advice above is accurate, figure on 2 hours of generator in the morning to recharge the batteries and about an hour to get a good surface charge before bed time. It's important to realize that it isn't a matter of will the batteries make it. Rather it is a matter of the longevity of the battery bank. If you run the batteries through deep discharge cycles their life span will be shorter. If you do more moderate discharges then you won't be shopping for batteries nearly as often. The first two coaches with a residential unit has 6 wet cells and overnight would go to about 65%- 70%. Current unit has 8 AGM's and overnight will take them to 70% to 75% state of charge. Hope this helps.
Tom
Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #10

We have no generator in our RV. And we do not have a propane refrigerator. Our refrigerator has a compressor that runs on AC or DC. We have three solar panels. Turned our refrigerator on a year ago and it has not been turned off since. We boondocks 90% of the time. Nice to have ice cream that is actually frozen.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator