Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #85

ADAGAR383....I respect a truck driver and the job they do. How ever I feel like the REST AREAS are for everyone. Four wheelers included. The trucks can go to the truck stops alot easier than I can go to a Wal Mart. The Rest Areas ARE FOR EVERYONE!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rest Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDuke View Post
Have a 3 day run out and back coming up and have always used an RV park to overnight and then out the next morning. Thinking about using the rest area's this time instead of paying for just a few hours, then gone again.

What is your experience in camping those areas, and do you run your generator all night while sleeping during cold weather?
We’ve been using rest areas for years. Never spent a night in a Walmart etc ...
Just use common sense and some common curtesy, no slide outs, no chairs, you’re on the highway not an RV park.

We have never had a problem other than trying to find a spot late at night. We use them to make a meal or walk the pup. I typically drive until I’m tired, we find a spot, crash out for a few hours and more on.

Never had a problem with strangers or crime but I’m a bigger guy and carry. If you’re worried about crime at a rest stop, don’t stop. We’re comfortable with it. We’ve also never had anyone in law enforcement ask us to move on or a trucker be rude to us. Remember, you reap what you sow ...

It’s a choice and we’re thankful for the states that have rest areas.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #87

There is a Rest Area App for iOS. I'm not sure about others. That will tell you a lot about how long you can stay and where they are.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #88
Saf

I just spent the last year circling the states, more 7000 miles. Stayed at a few walmarts for up to 3 day 2 nights and stay overnight at many rest areas. No problems.

When we parked on the perimeter of walmarts or roadside at crowded rest area we put the slide out over the grass. Never used slides elsewhere. I would go around my MH for a 100 ft picking up all trash to make it look nicer.

A MH with a toad is best because in some places for 2 night stays, we would sightsee during the day and the coach just looked like it was parked not like a trailer or a 5th when tow vehicle is gone.

I have stopped several times at rest areas during the day when mainly empty and again took the toad out site seeing for several hours and MH just looked like it was resting not camping.

I have my cell phone number posted on the MH door so if any problem they can call me. I was politely asked once to move from WM at 4:30 am and was at another in 20 min to sleep and leave at 10 am.

I'm glad so many are afraid of these places or can't sleep with earplugs or these places would be much more crowded.

I pay the same road taxes as the truck I have no guilt about my DP staying at rest stops. We arrive after 7pm and leave by 10am which is no problem since no one is left at that time in the morning.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:31 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWheels View Post
There is a Rest Area App for iOS. I'm not sure about others. That will tell you a lot about how long you can stay and where they are.

Which one are you using? Trying to find a good one.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping