Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I like the end spot. I might even plug a slide on that side out. Then my dish goes up as I'm starting my generator. Certainly no louder than the semi next to me.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Mr_D".......Maybe...reread what I wrote. I've stayed at Walmarts over the years, but I knew what the surroundings were like. I invite you to stay at a Walmart, in Fresno, Ca, Chicago, IL, or some other high crime areas. My point, too many idiots out there to be worrying all night if you're having your stuff stolen or your coach vandalized. I guess it was my 35 years in law enforcement that gave me a better idea of what's safe and what isn't.

Yes, 20 or 30 years ago, truckers were "Kings of the Road" and owner/operators. They were the most helpful people on the road you could find. Things have changed.....changed a lot! Many of the truckers don't even speak English. They're driving someone else's truck and could care less about others on the road. I don't see a need to thank any trucker for what he/she does. Many drivers are running successful small trucking companies, are courteous, family oriented and smart businessman/woman. With that said, I certainly don't see the need to thank truckers for doing their job. It's a job that can be had by passing a driving test....period. No special education, schooling etc. I'm not putting down truckers, but I certainly don't see them being put on a pedestal.

Personally, I feel that many dislike RVer's, especially those poking along and getting in their way. I've always been of the opinion that they target RV's in rest stops as "ransil" stated. In our younger days, the few times we stopped at rest stops, we would park away from any trucks, only two find one on both sides of us in the morning with refers running and 20 empty spots in the rest stop. They feel they pay more road taxes than anyone else and the rest areas are for their sole use. Many of the trucks in California use to post how much they paid per year in road taxes on a placard on the back of their truck. The only thing they didn't do, was the math. An RVer in California pays more in road taxes per mile than any truck.
Don

I agree we don't need to put Truckers on a pedestal but, there's a little more to the job than passing a driving test.

I've had two careers, one as an LA County Paramedic and the second as a Professional Teamster Truck Driver. I wasn't a fireman but worked in Fire Stations as a medic, so I know a little about it.

Many suburban fire stations may get one or two trash can fires a month a house fire every two years and the rest is usually EMS related. These fireman play basketball, wax personal cars, eat lots of ice cream, sleep and watch TV. On top of this, many are making over a $100k some even $200,000 yet they are called heroes! BS IMHO

As a Trucker delivering groceries, we were routinely sent out in Blizzard conditions. When the market supplying the community in that little town in E WA. was running low on supplies, we had to deliver. Even when most of the long haulers were shutting down because of dangerous conditions grocery trucks still run. Truckers are driving $100,000 rigs with another 100k or more in freight, you don't get that job without a stellar record.

Truckers while out in snow storms risk their lives, so the community could have fresh milk and bread. Yep I get that it's their chosen profession, so is being a cop, soldier or fireman. More truckers die every year than Policeman or Fireman in the course of their job, but they are looked down on. I tell people I'm a retired medic because of the low opinion people like you have of truckers.

I've come down mountains so fast that I couldn't touch my brakes, because I was on ice and the trailer was sideways, braking would make it worse. It really is a more skilled job than you give it credit for.

As a union driver​ we made great money but that's rapidly changing too.

Trucking is like all the other blue collar trades, the big anti union monopolies are driving down wages, pushing people to their limits while paying peanuts. This is leading to huge turnover and less skilled drivers on the road, making it more dangerous for all of us. Many of these lower payed newer drivers are pushed so hard they won't even stop to use the restroom or have a decent meal.

In the old days this was a top paying blue collar job. Truckers had time to stop and eat decent meals and get needed rest. Now it's like everything else low pay, long hours and little benefits. Glad I'm not part of it anymore. Enjoy your cheap Walmart junk!

Sorry your comment just set me off, but most are ignorant of the hard life and sacrifices truckers make. Yep it's their chosen career.

Lastly truckers have to put up with all the idiots we all share the road with, and for that, they all deserve a medal.

Happy Camping
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #45

Mid Atlantic Campers
X10 cdoorider. Retired myself. Loved the job, hated all the BS that we dealt with.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #46

Sleep well, I have stayed at rest area s in almost all of the states with no problems. As I have a TX bed slide out if I can find an end spot against an island or curb to put it out I do, Otherwise keep it in and manage. A I SLEEP WELL😊
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
I like the end spot. I might even plug a slide on that side out. Then my dish goes up as I'm starting my generator. Certainly no louder than the semi next to me.
Being able to run the generator will be the only way I would stop at a Rest Area if I want to get any sleep. My AC has to be running.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Why the lights on outside while you're inside SLEEPING
Warning, playful rant follows:

I really don't get why people do that either. First, rest stops, truck stops and Walmart all have parking lot lights on. Second, if you are that paranoid set your alarms for a wake up every four and hours and take turns as sentry and walk the perimeter hourly.

Campgrounds should be members of "Dark City USA". Why the heck do people leave an exterior light on IN a campground? Especially in State, National or BLM areas. It's annoying for anyone that wants to star gaze or sleep in a dark room.

We were at Ft. Pickens last December and a guy in a Class C pulled in next to us and proceeded to put his American flag on the top of his ladder (before you bust my chops, I fly a flag on the front of my coach too).

The man struggled a bit to get up there with the flag and was obviously disabled in some manner. I figured he was a Vet and being patriotic. Cool right? No, he then put three flood lights on the ground from different directions to shine on flag presumably so he didn't have to take it down at night. These lights were on ALL night long (yeah, I know you're supposed to).

It looked like a scene from night time prison break movie.

Wow, I just turned into my Dad!!!! Hey get the heck off of my lawn!
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnydbell View Post
?..Finally I use Chem lights on the tail v end of the coach...
Could you clarify the above? Chem lights? Tail v end?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Family owned a small trucking company for almost fifty years. I drove semis for 8 years as a young man. I really enjoy looking at the rigs as some are pretty spectacular. I have never had a problem with any trucker.

Back in the sixties when I was driving for my Father people would complain about livestock trucks on the highway on Sunday. Those same people would complain when weather prevented it and there was no fresh meat in the grocery stores on Monday. People always find a way to bitch.

I am retired. When we travel we try not to be in a hurry. We get on the road by ninish, and get off the road by fivish. We have a nice dinner and have time for a long walk.

We stay in campgrounds almost every night. Why? We can afford it so why not. I worked all my life to be able to live this way and I intend to. (Spending the children's inheritance.)

RVers have that option, truckers do not! Most truckers are decent family men out trying to make a living the best way they can. I have seen trucks parked along the approach and exit ramps in rest stops because the rest stop is full. They are required by law to drive so many hours and then rest so many hours. RVers don't have that problem.

A statement was made about an RVer paying more in highway use tax than a truck. Yeah? I don't think so. Trucks pay several taxes just to use the highway that we don't. Federal Highway Use Tax, tire tax, fuel tax, ect. I call BS!

What I am saying is if you need to use Walmart or a rest stop because you are too poor to pay for a camp site, OK, but if you are just being cheap than you are taking up a space that someone else needs to make a living and to remain safe on our highways. If you park your mega bucks RV in a rest stop or truck stop and someone damages it while you sleep, don't be too surprised.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #51

Mid Atlantic Campers
Just to clarify proper flag edicate. Individuals are not required to light the flag at night. Have to agree lights left on all night are annoying when camping.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #52

I too have stayed in rest stops for hundreds of nights over the last 25 years of RVing.

I've never been asked to leave by a police officer of any type. I believe the rules are there as leverage if a problem occurs, not to prevent people from stopping for rest.

I typically try to park against an island to get the slides out.

I try not to park next to refrigerator trucks as as their cooler motors start and stop all night long. Never had the cow problem, but I can see it.

Don't leave my lights on, but don't care, I have shades on my windows.

Never had a security problem at a rest stop, ever.

They vary from dingy to super nice. Rest stops in Mississippi, for example, are amazing...manicured, clean, playgrounds, picnic tables, large dog walking areas, full time security guards (yup), etc.

When I travel I tend to stay in a place for a while, where I really want a nice RV park. When I move, I'll do 10-12 hours a day, stop late, and sleep late. Just what is comfortable for me. The last thing I want to do is stop at a RV park late, hassle and wake up people there, pay for the night, and then move on as soon as I wake up in the morning. Rest stops work well for me, I love them!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Just curious about two things. What are best practices at highway rest stops overnight?... Quick answers would be appreciated (yes I'm parked at one now)!!!
Best practice: IMHO, use common sense with your eyes wide open before closing them to go to sleep.

Walk around is a must!
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #54

Could you clarify the above? Chem lights? (Glow sticks) Tail v end?( back end of the rig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Could you clarify the above? Chem lights? Tail v end?
gunnydbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post

When I travel I tend to stay in a place for a while, where I really want a nice RV park. When I move, I'll do 10-12 hours a day, stop late, and sleep late. Just what is comfortable for me. The last thing I want to do is stop at a RV park late, hassle and wake up people there, pay for the night, and then move on as soon as I wake up in the morning. Rest stops work well for me, I love them!
Yep, same here.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, same here.

Me, too..... Rest stops for the same reasons... I surprised myself recently by driving just over 800 miles "in a day" that started out at 2am because I just woke up at 1am and could not fall back asleep. This was at Freightliner Factory Service. Drove from Gaffney through Atlanta just before 5am, then napped for a few hours in the Alabama Welcome Rest Area, made coffee and breakfast, then stopped again for the night just after dark at the Texas Welcome Rest Area. Was traveling alone as DW did not make the factory service trip. Was surprised as wasn't overly tired, but convenient rest areas made it possible. And, of course, I do closely pay attention to my surroundings. While DW and I were traveling from Oregon to Yosemite last fall, we stopped in a Northern California rest area just to have lunch and walk the dogs, and said we would not even consider staying overnight in that particular rest area as too many permanent campers (homeless).
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote