Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2018, 05:11 AM   #1

Resticking Headlight Corner Trim?

On both of my headlights there is a piece of trip that wraps around the lights. The end has come loose before and I used some 2 sided tape for sticking on letters to restick them. Now that cold weather is hear the pieces have come loose again.

Any ideas on what I can use that the pieces will stay stuck?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
On both of my headlights there is a piece of trip that wraps around the lights. The end has come loose before and I used some 2 sided tape for sticking on letters to restick them. Now that cold weather is hear the pieces have come loose again.

Any ideas on what I can use that the pieces will stay stuck?

I have a friend that works on RV’s for a living, he uses Gorilla Glue for just about everything. Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #3

I used Sika flex on mine, has held for 3 months. That is what they use to apply the Stainless trim package. There is a previous thread on this subject.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

Just be careful with a hard setting produces like hard glues in old and hot weather the two materials expand and contract different points. This time if it does come lose again it will have paint with it. did you try automotive trim tape the flex in the tape. Use alcohol the rubbing kind not the drinking kind clean the area then try it
capindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capindc View Post
Just be careful with a hard setting produces like hard glues in old and hot weather the two materials expand and contract different points. This time if it does come lose again it will have paint with it. did you try automotive trim tape the flex in the tape. Use alcohol the rubbing kind not the drinking kind clean the area then try it
This is what I used first and it worked for a while. But the edges have popped back out.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
3M automotive weather seal glue. Brownish yellow snot looking stuff, but it does dry clear. At NAPA...red tube. It's what body shops use because it works.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
3M automotive weather seal glue. Brownish yellow snot looking stuff, but it does dry clear. At NAPA...red tube. It's what body shops use because it works.
Is this it.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM08011
Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #8

Mine was re-done 3 times.

The first time the corner pulled out I completely removed it. I cleaned all the 3M tape off the chrome and the body. Stopped at North Trail and they gave me the same red 3M tape to reinstall it. Stayed on about 2 months.

Second time I just let North Trail re-install it. They actually ordered a new trim piece because they claimed the original one wasn't bent just right. It stayed on about a month.

Third time I pulled it and cleaned all the 3M junk off again. I used 2 part epoxy and stuck it back on. That has been over 5 months ago and it is still holding good through temperatures of 100+ to current 30 degrees.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

3m Window Weld. It is by far the best permanent adhesive I've ever used. Yes it's the stuff that windshields are glued in with, have you ever seen a windshield fall out due to glue failing?? Never. I've used this stuff for many years for tons of random projects, loved it every time. It's a little pricey, around $18-$20 a tube, but you will only do it once. You can get it at AutoZone or Napa, or sometimes a glass shop will sell it too you as well.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While my Ventana LE was stored in my non-climate controlled garage this summer, the trim over the driver's side headlight came loose where it wraps around to the side. I already had a warranty appointment at Southaven RV & Marine so I waited until then to have them reattach it. They pulled it off and used some sort of grey putty type material to reattach it. That only lasted about 3 weeks. After calling Southaven RV they ordered me a new trim piece from Newmar and sent it to my home (we are 6 hours away). I called the manufacturer before putting the new piece on. They seemed to be very familiar with this headlight trim on the Newmars. The factory told me it was very important to ensure that the bend of the stainless steel closely hugs the front cap and to not depend on the adhesive to keep the stainless tight against the body. They also said to clean the area with rubbing alcohol before attaching the new trim. I spent about an hour reshaping the new trim piece so that it fit closely to the fiberglass and cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol. Granted, it has only been since late September but so far the trim is holding fine.

-------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
While my Ventana LE was stored in my non-climate controlled garage this summer, the trim over the driver's side headlight came loose where it wraps around to the side. I already had a warranty appointment at Southaven RV & Marine so I waited until then to have them reattach it. They pulled it off and used some sort of grey putty type material to reattach it. That only lasted about 3 weeks. After calling Southaven RV they ordered me a new trim piece from Newmar and sent it to my home (we are 6 hours away). I called the manufacturer before putting the new piece on. They seemed to be very familiar with this headlight trim on the Newmars. The factory told me it was very important to ensure that the bend of the stainless steel closely hugs the front cap and to not depend on the adhesive to keep the stainless tight against the body. They also said to clean the area with rubbing alcohol before attaching the new trim. I spent about an hour reshaping the new trim piece so that it fit closely to the fiberglass and cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol. Granted, it has only been since late September but so far the trim is holding fine.

-------- Jim
Jim, the first time I removed mine and redid it I discovered that it did not conform exactly to the bend of the coach body. I modified it slightly so it fit snuggly before putting it back on. When North Trail redid it they actually ordered a new piece and used that.

Don't be shocked if yours comes off again. If it does stay away from any type of 3M or other automotive tape.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes...sorry for late reply, on Keys time.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light