Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
All of those modifications look neat and convenient but I too am a bit nervous about connecting the 2 together. I had to replace both (fresh and flush) of my check valves this summer as they were leaking. I could tell the previous owner had replaced them before. It seems it would not take too much bacteria from the flush fitting to contaminate the fresh water.
I've only been in this RV world for a couple years now and very much respect the experience that Dennis and others share. I will continue to be cautious as I learn from others experience.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
That looks really nice, although I too am in the "keep the black and fresh" systems, well, separate! Question though, it looks like you have the 90 permanently plumbed through the hole in the bay floor. Do you attach the slinky from the underside? If so, do you have a plug you install when not draining?
This cross contamination thing has been discussed almost as much as surge protectors and tires. .
This set up may not be good everyone but for me, I am not a boondocker, I am only connected to park water sources or at the dump station I have at home. Yes, I use filtered water to flush, don't want any debris getting into my black tank.
I also have a plastic male cap that I put on my fresh water hose when I remove it from the pedestal so it is sealed as I drag it across the ground during the storing procedure and keep crap from getting in the hose.

There are actually two checks in the black flush line. One, I installed at the inlet and the second one is up in the bathroom sink cabinet. (A vacuum breaker to prevent fresh water flowing from the tank rinse into the fresh water system which is Newmar standard). And then there is the isolation valve itself. Works for me.

The slinky, Hard to see in my photo but I use a 45 deg clear elbow off the coach connection to direct through the floor and connect the slinky under the floor. It's actually just barely above the floor. The 45 is removed when not in use and stored in the plastic tray. The coach connection is capped and there is a screw on cover that plugs the hole in the floor. (Newmar standard)

You can also see my sprayer bottle which has a water/bleach solution. I started using this a few years back to wash the fresh water pedestal connection before I connect my water hose after watching a Fellow RV'er put his slinky up over the water tap to rinse his slinky. Now that's what I call a real source for cross contamination.
Anyway, now I use my little sprayer to rinse the tap before connecting and I spray all my sewer adaptors before I store them into the plastic tray.

If you hear of me keeling over from sewage related condition please know that I lived a happy life well beyond what I could have hoped for given my youthful transgressions. So I'm just goin to take my chances. .
Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.......I'm with Dennis. I like to make connecting shore cords and dumping as easy as possible. First, the sprayer has a check valve and sits at the top of the tank. It only has water pressure in one direction.....into the tank. It would be different if it was a black tank drain with water going the other way. Second, it has a shut off valve before the back flow and has 25psi-65psi of water pushing it the other way.

I know people get weird about this stuff, but there is a better chance of you getting cross contamination from handling, cleaning and storing that extra hose you're using than the way Dennis or I do it.

I changed mine to work like Dennis' unit two years ago. The only different between the two is that my black tank flush uses unfiltered water. I also use a SaniCon system so I never have to deal with the cleaning and storage of my sewer hose. I don't even have to rinse it. Just cap it and shove it back in the wet bay. My flush hose also has a quick connect so it can be disconnected when not in use.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The slinky, Hard to see in my photo but I use a 45 deg clear elbow off the coach connection to direct through the floor and connect the slinky under the floor. It's actually just barely above the floor. The 45 is removed when not in use and stored in the plastic tray. The coach connection is capped and there is a screw on cover that plugs the hole in the floor. (Newmar standard)
Dennis, thanks for the update. I had assumed that the 45 stayed connected. It would be nice to rig the system so it was plumbed all the way through the floor, so as to leave any black/grey tank connections outside the water bay, but I guess then you would have to be worried about damage to the end fitting from road debris . . . Always trade offs I guess. Nice job though!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
FYI....I never leave anything sticking out through an opening in my service bay while traveling. That's why they have covers for the openings which seals them to prevent dirt and road debris from making a mess of the bay.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scot in post 3 you will see my end connector is mounted to come out under the body next to the exhaust pipe, it was a real pain sticking it through the off set hole in the floor all the time. The hole was recut in the floor and the opening around the pipe was sealed with solid plastic like the box was made of.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Scot in post 3 you will see my end connector is mounted to come out under the body next to the exhaust pipe, it was a real pain sticking it through the off set hole in the floor all the time. The hole was recut in the floor and the opening around the pipe was sealed with solid plastic like the box was made of.
Okay, I see that now. I want to re work our bay at some point, just not sure yet how exactly I want to do it.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water