Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #1

RGB LEDS for Gerard awnings??

Has anyone installed multi color rgb leds in their Gerard awnings? I want to add another strip on the opposite side roof rail so the entire top of the coach is lit up on both sides like the pic attached but wasn’t sure if I could change the factory white leds in the awnings for colored ones.

Thx!! Love this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1522009800.093577.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	600.7 KB
ID:	196717
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don’t have Girard Awnings...but here’s the obstacles you face...

Getting the white LEDs unstuck might be a lot of work...

You have to run 4-conductor wire in place of the two conductor wire...

You need to replace the controller...with one that can deliver the R-G-B signals...

If you have a good idea how best tackle these three obstacles..then you’re well on your way.

You may find white on the awning is worth keeping. To add color, you might add rgb LEDs under the slide outs...and possibly under the belly of the coach.

Check out...

https://www.boogeylights.com/rv-photo-gallery/

For more ideas...

We love our under slide out LED’s...and are in the works on adding under belly. The under mounted lights don’t shine in your eyes...and the under slide lights make a safer environment around the coach at night to prevent tripping over things. They also do a great job of lighting up storage bays so you can find what it is you’re looking for.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I don’t have Girard Awnings...but here’s the obstacles you face...

Getting the white LEDs unstuck might be a lot of work...

You have to run 4-conductor wire in place of the two conductor wire...

You need to replace the controller...with one that can deliver the R-G-B signals...

If you have a good idea how best tackle these three obstacles..then you’re well on your way.

You may find white on the awning is worth keeping. To add color, you might add rgb LEDs under the slide outs...and possibly under the belly of the coach.

Check out...

https://www.boogeylights.com/rv-photo-gallery/

For more ideas...

We love our under slide out LED’s...and are in the works on adding under belly. The under mounted lights don’t shine in your eyes...and the under slide lights make a safer environment around the coach at night to prevent tripping over things. They also do a great job of lighting up storage bays so you can find what it is you’re looking for.
All great info! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Some good things to think about.

I ordered the factory installed under slide lights. Are you saying they install them on the drivers side full wall too? That’ll be nice if so!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

Just my opinion, but remember you may have neighbors close by on your DS who may not like bright LEDs shining in their eyes. Too many lights looks kind of gaudy to me.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed them...as a result of how practical they are after looking at NealC's installatiin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180315_071511.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	196755  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with everything Charlie stated and if I may offer some additional advice; You could encounter some paint separation on the Girard-Nova awning lead rails when trying to remove the OE single color (white) LED lighting strips.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Just my opinion, but remember you may have neighbors close by on your DS who may not like bright LEDs shining in their eyes. Too many lights looks kind of gaudy to me.
That's exactly why I installed my Driver's Side lights on a switch. I can turn them off, while still keeping our patio side lights operating.

I asked my neighbors the last place we camped if they minded...they said they liked them. Then I asked what color they prefer. Tony, the gent next to me, came back from the vendors area with a roll of RGB lights to add to his coach.

So, yes...I am aware they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

The GREEN guarded switch on the junction box arms the FWS lights, on an "if desired" basis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180302_145300.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	196794  
Old 03-26-2018, 03:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
We all have our respective opinions but that does not always imply fact. Having or installing exterior LEDs is and has been a popular addition to include manufacturers' now installing them in part with production for the given reason. In terms of having and using them, in my view they are no different than playing loud music, watching exterior TV at loud volumes, running a generator beyond reasonable hours of use, etc., etc.. - It all comes down to being considerate of one's neighbors.

I too have exterior LEDs and practice "good camping etiquette" when using them by always asking my neighbors purposefully so when I do.

I think we can all agree there is a "big" difference between having some subtle exterior LED lighting that is pointed downward and intended to enhance the immediate exterior atmosphere of one's Motor-Home vs. those that project a"Las Vegas" type billboard flashing of bright lights blinking, strobing and flashing all around and outward upon others. No different than the guy running around the campground in his golf cart with the radio volume equal to a NFL stadium broadcast.

Again. It all comes down to respect and discretion.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like to add...the only complaints I’ve heard have been from other LED light users. I think a constant color seems to be more accepted over the flashing, color changing...as Rick pointed out “Vegas” type light show.

I approached the whole LED light thing from a practical point of view...ie, the campground doesn’t allow fires...and you want a nice ambient glow to extend your evening social gathering outdoors. I have actually become a true fan of these things. We stayed at Lake Louisa State Park on the way home from FMCA Rally in Perry, GA. I had a chance to observe other RV’s and thier choice of lighting. The RV one site up from us had white rope light style LEDs laid the entire length of the drive. He also had what appeared to be a white 5gal bucket with a 100 watt+ light bulb inside hanging next to his entry door. Both ligh sources actually bomb your night vision...because the source light is actually shining directly at you. The underglow lights are not direct source light. They shine down at the ground and this drastically improves night vision retention. As you may know...aircraft “flight decks” use red or sometimes blue soft lighting to help pilots retain thier night vision. The RGB lights can have a similar effect. They produce adequate light to provide a safety factor...while preserving your night vision dramatically.

We have touched on a couple of considerations when using LED lighting....well, really, I think it applies to ANY type of lighting.

Don’t drown out your neighbors enjoyment with too much lighting.

Consider those places that are “Dark Sky” environments...to allow yourself and others a spectacular view of the Star Field above. If you’ve seen a billion stars shimmering overhead...you know what I mean. It trumps anything a led light string can achieve in the way of natural beauty.

I usually turn out the lights...kinda like observing quiet hours... Light can be a visual noise as opposed to an auditory noise.

I’m particularly careful to get them turned out when there are tent campers near. You know the thin nylon tent fabric doesn’t block out light very well. I know when I tent camp...having bright lights nearby makes it difficult to sleep undisturbed.

Disney’s Fort Wilderness is the one place that lighting appears to be fair game. We had a Prevost H3-45 park next to us once. I think the International Space Station could have picked them out from outer space. Wow!!!

If you’re like me...you find there are times the ambience is enhanced by lighting. Problem is...I’m not in the mood to dig out the Rubbermaid bin in the storage bay, run extension cords, string lights...and then have to pick them up again each time we use them. Having permanently installed lights on your coach makes it so easy...there for your enjoyment anytime you want. And you don’t have to give up extra storage space to keep them.

Off soapbox...but again, I really underestimated how functional these things are. They grow on you really quickly.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Has anyone installed multi color rgb leds in their Gerard awnings? I want to add another strip on the opposite side roof rail so the entire top of the coach is lit up on both sides like the pic attached but wasn’t sure if I could change the factory white leds in the awnings for colored ones.

Thx!! Love this forum.

Attachment 196717
Are there awnings on your driver's side or just lights? What model coach do you have?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star David View Post
Are there awnings on your driver's side or just lights? What model coach do you have?

Our new dutch Star 4326 will have the window awnings. We opted for under slide leds from the factory.

When the big shades are retracted, the leds can still be lit up. I wanted to had another row like the picture of that coach that has them on the driver side so it matches. Its not so much about practicality as it is symmetry and cool factory lol
Old 03-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #12

Also having the ability to control ambience, color, and intensity is what I’m after. We’ll figure it out. First world rich people problems
Old 03-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm trying to get mine connected to my stereo so it flashes in sync I remember 100 years ago my father had a light box that did that connected to his home stereo...I need that
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm trying to get mine connected to my stereo so it flashes in sync I remember 100 years ago my father had a light box that did that connected to his home stereo...I need that
What next, the mirrored disco ball? Me and Charlie will never get ahead of You and Sam.

Tags
awning, led