RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

I own a 2005 DSDP. I find the ride to be less than I would expect from a motorhome of this quality. I have some questions that maybe some could answer, especially if you have moved from a 40' DSDP to a larger unit.
1. Is the ride any better when you go to a 43' and the tag?
2. If you go to a MADP, you go to the K2 chassis. Does that equate with a better ride?
3. It costs serious money to move from a DSDP to a Mountain Aire or Essex. I know you get a whole bunch of bells and whistles. But... do you get a better ride?
4. Monaco and the like talk about 8-10 airbags and shocks which is quite a jump. Does that translate into a better ride?
Thanks
Ron

RAPPAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #2

I own a 2005 DSDP. I find the ride to be less than I would expect from a motorhome of this quality. I have some questions that maybe some could answer, especially if you have moved from a 40' DSDP to a larger unit.
1. Is the ride any better when you go to a 43' and the tag?
2. If you go to a MADP, you go to the K2 chassis. Does that equate with a better ride?
3. It costs serious money to move from a DSDP to a Mountain Aire or Essex. I know you get a whole bunch of bells and whistles. But... do you get a better ride?
4. Monaco and the like talk about 8-10 airbags and shocks which is quite a jump. Does that translate into a better ride?
Thanks
Ron

Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 AM   #3

Hi Ron, I think my DSDP rode as good as the Essex. The steering on the EXDP is far superior as it is Comfort Drive, but the DSDP was pretty good to handle regardless. Did you have your unit to Spartan for the ride?

Peter
Old 04-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #4

I've been to Spartan a couple of times. I just wanted to know if those who bought coaches such as MA or the Essex noticed a big difference in ride or if a tag added to the quality of the ride in any way. I know most say the tag helps with stability.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #5

I think the stability is more largely due to the overall weight increase. After all it's over 45% heavier than say a DSDP single axle. As for the tag, I don't really know that it's all that different. Perhaps it porpoises less because of the wheelbase increase and added axle.

Peter
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
cmc

Ron I had a 2005 4023 dutch star with the 370 hp upgrade I don't think I ever owned any vehicle that road better than it did
Charlie
cmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 AM   #7

I realize this is in the middle of the thread but I hope someone picks up and advises.I own an 04 dsdp 4009. On smooth road and no wind it is a pleasure to drive. Add in a little wind , road ruts and segmented pavement and the thrills begin. Driver input is at 110% unit is all over the lane. Weight shift from side to side. A road rut requires three seperated steering moves to recover. While a pavement joint jars you to the bone. I am one step away from buying an 07 madp 4523. I was under the impression that the ma would solve these problems. We travel 6/8 months a year. Generally 300/400 miles per day and my speed is 62/67 mph. Your thoughts on the handling and ride of the ma will be appreciated. I know cd will make it drive better.
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #8

The ride you are experiencing on your '04 DSDP is not normal. Is it a Spartan or a Freightliner chassis? Have you had it back to the chassis manufacturer? My experience with my '02 DSDP on a Spartan chassis was a sharp contrast to your description. Mine was a pleasure to drive in most if not all conditions.

Peter
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aubie:
While a pavement joint jars you to the bone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As the owner of a 2005 DSDP 4009, I would just like to say that I know EXACTLY what aubie is describing here. I have been to Spartan so often I am seriously considering buying a home in Charlotte. While I do not question the time and effort Spartan has put in, the fact remains that what aubie says still remains with my coach. I hope he solves the problems with a MA, but before I spent that kind of money, I'd sure want to take it over some rough roads. Speaking with many friends who are pleased with the way their coach rides, you have no idea how I'd like mine to ride that way too. I am at "Camp Newmar" the end of this week to see what changes have been made, perhaps this time will be the lucky one for me.

Ron
Old 05-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't like to keep bringing this up but tire pressures are all adjusted by tire MFG's spec's after getting coach weight.
If your feeling the road thru your steering wheel they are,tires,to hard. When tires heat up while traveling they even get harder 10-15 lbs.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
aubie & RAPPAR,
I feel you pain. My signature coach had the same symptons. Click here to read about the saga.

The bottom line is there are two problems:
1. rough ride
2. wandering

The rough ride was closed by Michelin replacing the front two tires and spin balancing all six tires.

The wandering was closed by installing:
1. Howard Precision Steering System
2. Roadmaster (used to be IPD) rear anti sway bar.

Spartan made the coach the best they said it could be, but I remained disappointed. With the above mentioned after market components, the coach has been "born again" and is solid (straight, smooth) in all driving conditions.

Will a new MADP be different? I would guess the answer is yes. This is because a new MADP has:
1. a tag axle
2. comfort steer

Assuming the new MADP tires are balanced and at the correct PSI for weight, the above mentioned features should make the MADP a great driving coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #12

Well, all you guys woo hooing it up about the comfort drive got me to the local Newmar dealer, and I finagled a drive in a 2007 Mountain Aire. As you can see from my sig, I am driving a 2002 on a Freightliner chassis. As I continue to tinker with the tires, front end, shocks, ride height I wanted to have a benchmark to measure the improvements against.

So here is my seat of the pants impressions about the 2007 MADP with Comfort Drive and tag axle compared to my existing 2002 MADP.

First at low speeds the steering is really boosted on the Comfort Drive. Slow speed manuevers are just as easy as driving a car. At freeway speeds, the 2007 tracked true and straight but it did not drive itself. You do have to provide some corrective input, but it did not "hunt" at all. It is a very smooth ride with little jar when hitting potholes. Much smoother than the Freightliner. Also if you intentionally put a quick jiggle into the steering wheel the coach doesn't get out of sorts. The 450 Cummins provides about the same level of power to this coach as my 370 does to mine. The extra weight of the bigger coach eats the differential in horsepower.

Sounds like I'm sold, right? Not. It was a nicer ride, maybe 20% nicer. It would take around 250 or more large to move into that coach from my current ride. I think I'll spend a little more time on making sure all the specs are correct on mine before I spend that kind of cha ching.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #13

I really appreciate the quick responce that Irv2 members give each other and their hands on knowledge they are willing to pass on. I did fail to mention that the 04 ds was on a spartan chassis. Yes I,ve been to the factory and they were great to work with. They replaced several components of the steering system, adjusted ride height, alined front and rear axels ect. Four days of honest work by their people. Unit drove and handle much much better , but, one would have had to drove it before spartan worked on it. Weighted all four points adjusted tire pressure per spec. I was considering the Howard steering system but I thought I pickup in one of threads that Howard had been bought out and at present they were not doing any repairs. In following Gary's thread it seems that the problems I'm having are common. Yes serious bucks to move to the ma. Thats why I wanted ya'll opinion before selling the farm THANKS
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #14

This is an interesting subject. We have an 05 40' Dutch Star I don't remember off hand which model. I spend half of my year in Outdoor Resorts in Las Vegas. My bike is on a hydrolic lift and it weighs 850 pounds. Frankly I think the coach drives smooth on the highway and handles nicely. Well accept on Louisana freeways!

Most of the people I live around are in bigger coaches with tags. They talk about the big difference in ride. I've had a hard time understanding how it could be any better?

After reading this I'll be taking a much longer test drive when I purchase my next motor home.

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

Vegascpl is offline   Reply With Quote