RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Right blinkers stopped working

Hi Gang,

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4121 on Spartan K2 chassis.

Going crazy here trying to figure out why my right rear blinkers and brake lights have stopped working. I did find a blown 1157 bulb in front right blinker which had caused it to do a very slow blink, but even with the blown front right blinker the blinker on the mirror, the side marker/blinker behind passenger steer wheel, as well as my right blinker going back to toad thru connection all worked fine. Replaced the 1157 in front passenger blinker and now that works fine and blinking speed is back to normal.

Now I know you're all dying to hit reply and say "check your ground" in the rear light module, but guess what, the parking lights (all 6 of them) work fine, so the ground has to be ok. There are 2 flasher modules in the basement compartment under the driver and I swapped them out with each other and still no blinkers or brake lights on passenger side rear lights of coach. Also checked all the fuses in that compartment. Again, front blinker, side marker blinker behind passenger steer tire, blinker on mirror all working fine as are the right toad blinkers.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Got to be another flasher or something I'm missing to send power back to those rear right brake/blinker lights. I was sure it would be a bad ground until I realized the parking lights work working fine.

Here's a photo of the right hand (passenger) rear light module with parking lights on.

Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Hi Gang,

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4121 on Spartan K2 chassis.

Going crazy here trying to figure out why my right rear blinkers and brake lights have stopped working. I did find a blown 1157 bulb in front right blinker which had caused it to do a very slow blink, but even with the blown front right blinker the blinker on the mirror, the side marker/blinker behind passenger steer wheel, as well as my right blinker going back to toad thru connection all worked fine. Replaced the 1157 in front passenger blinker and now that works fine and blinking speed is back to normal.

Now I know you're all dying to hit reply and say "check your ground" in the rear light module, but guess what, the parking lights (all 6 of them) work fine, so the ground has to be ok. There are 2 flasher modules in the basement compartment under the driver and I swapped them out with each other and still no blinkers or brake lights on passenger side rear lights of coach. Also checked all the fuses in that compartment. Again, front blinker, side marker blinker behind passenger steer tire, blinker on mirror all working fine as are the right toad blinkers.

Any idea what I'm missing here? Got to be another flasher or something I'm missing to send power back to those rear right brake/blinker lights. I was sure it would be a bad ground until I realized the parking lights work working fine.
Mainuh
One bad ground or one bad bulb in any one of those tail lights can be, (and often is), the cause of "light problems".
If you clean all of the sockets and clean the metal base of every bulb, (or replace every bulb), you may solve the problem.

BTW applying a little dielectric grease into each bulb socket after cleaning may prevent the problem from reoccurring.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-...-Each/51095822

Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Mel said, need to open lens and check bar mounting for bulbs may only need cleaning and while your at it check the other side also.
You can find all your lights in and out in QT's # 3 for a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
In the rear basement compartment on the passenger side located on the frame you should find s box with a lot of connection going into it. It has several fuses in it you will probably find the one for that set of brake lights blown. It happens on mine occasionally
millerk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On a Freightliner chassis, back by the two starting batteries, is a box of fuses. The left and right turn signal are independent of each other and each require their own fuse. On mine, it's a 20amp.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuse locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerk11 View Post
In the rear basement compartment on the passenger side located on the frame you should find s box with a lot of connection going into it. It has several fuses in it you will probably find the one for that set of brake lights blown. It happens on mine occasionally
What year and model is your Newmar? My 08 Spartan has the batteries in the rear passenger compartment. The next one forward is a small 2 shelf compartment with no electronics. The drivers side has the side radiator at the rear. As mentioned in my post, there are lots of relays and fuses in the front basement compartment under the driver but I've checked them all and all good.

I still find it off that the parking lights work fine for all 6 lights (only outer 4 are brake lights).
Old 11-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mainuh
One bad ground or one bad bulb in any one of those tail lights can be, (and often is), the cause of "light problems".
If you clean all of the sockets and clean the metal base of every bulb, (or replace every bulb), you may solve the problem.

BTW applying a little dielectric grease into each bulb socket after cleaning may prevent the problem from reoccurring.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-...-Each/51095822

Mel
'96 Safari
Hi Mel,

Thanks for your thoughts. As the picture I posted shows, the parking lights are working fine so I don't think it's a ground. Also, these lens enclosures are sealed in fiberglass inside the engine compartment and you can only reach the 2 (of the 6). I need to get a 10mm deep socket to pull the retaining nuts off so the lenses can be pulled out the back of the coach.

And there are no metal bases on the one bulb I could pull out, it's a blade type, 4057 I believe it was. I have 2 tubes of dielectric grease as well as de-ox spray. I guess my next task is to get that lens off so I can then get at the other 4 bulbs that actually are brake lights as well as parking lights.

A friend suggested the 4 brake lights may be "in series" so if one was blown, the others wouldn't work but I still think a fuse or relay somewhere.

I'll get the tail light module out tomorrow and check it all over. Ironic that with the power nose and such easy access to headlights and blinkers up front that changing a light in the rear requires a double jointed midget just to extract the module from the chassis. And I wouldn't even want to think about trying it if the engine had been running! What were you thinking Spartan?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
You will find it in the compartment just ahead of the bay that holds your tv and water tanks. On mine it is located on the chassis rail. The Girard awning controller is located on the side wall in the same compartment.
millerk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you MillerK11 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerk11 View Post
You will find it in the compartment just ahead of the bay that holds your tv and water tanks. On mine it is located on the chassis rail. The Girard awning controller is located on the side wall in the same compartment.
Hello,

Can't thank you enough for this post! You nailed it! I had a feeling there had to be another fuse or relay somewhere controlling the right and left blinkers independently. My sincere thanks for this info. I probably already had close to 5 hours into troubleshooting this and had planned to remove the tail light assembly today which I was dreading due to location and how you have to remove it. You undoubtedly saved me 2-3 more hours of tail chasing.

For the benefit of those reading along or finding this in a search on blinker problems down the road, Miller was exactly right on the location. On my 2008 MA 4121 I have a large storage bay on the passenger's side (doesn't go all the way across to drivers side as oasis and 50amp service are on the driver's side). But in this storage bay are all the controls for my Girard awning as well as the inverter. the box Miller mentions has no label on the outside and is surrounded by slide controls and Girard awning controls so I hadn't given it a 2nd thought about being a fusebox for the coach.

here's the box with cover on (no label at all):

Cover off:

Cover map (inside cover - F4 was the magic fuse, note F5 separate control for trailer/toad which is why the toad blinkers still worked):
Old 11-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the post Don and pictures of the bowels of a DP you never know what you may find there. The DP owners come through again.
Will post in QT's # 3 in case I forget now that I know.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote