Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Right front airbag stays down on 2005 DSDP

On a recent return trip from camping, I noticed that the ride became very rough on the right side, luckily I was a mile away from where I park the rig. I was expecting a very low tire, but instead had a very low coach on the right front. I dumped the air out of the other bags and started the engine to allow the bags to raise the coach to no avail, same problem as before.

I assume I have to take the coach into a Spartan repair shop, my question concerns safety, is it safe for me to drive the 30 miles to the closest facility in Virginia Beach?

I've uploaded three pics, not sure if the upload worked or what order they are going to appear. One picture is how the driver's side looks, which is the way I prefer. The other two show the arm dangling and the bushing where the arm attaches. I did notice that the bushing appears to be damaged.

Thanks,

Mitch

2005 DSDP 4010
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	46077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	46078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	46079  
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

Looks like you need to go buy a new bushing and with some lube on it push it back on the rod with the eye and push the arm back into it. Maybe just a few dollar fix.

Don
Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. Where would one get such a bushing? I'm not exactly what you would call mechanically inclined, put popping something onto something else with the liberal use of grease maybe something i can manage.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

If the chassis is Spartan, I would contact them, email these same pictures, and ask them to identify the parts. This looks like a pretty easy fix.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree it looks like and easy fix. However, consider not driving the coach with the air bag deflated. In this situation it is easy for the front tire to contact parts of the body that would make this an expensive repair.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post
On a recent return trip from camping, I noticed that the ride became very rough on the right side, luckily I was a mile away from where I park the rig. I was expecting a very low tire, but instead had a very low coach on the right front. I dumped the air out of the other bags and started the engine to allow the bags to raise the coach to no avail, same problem as before.

I assume I have to take the coach into a Spartan repair shop, my question concerns safety, is it safe for me to drive the 30 miles to the closest facility in Virginia Beach?

I've uploaded three pics, not sure if the upload worked or what order they are going to appear. One picture is how the driver's side looks, which is the way I prefer. The other two show the arm dangling and the bushing where the arm attaches. I did notice that the bushing appears to be damaged.

Thanks,

Mitch

2005 DSDP 4010
If u have to I'd wire or wire tie it up to the arm to get u to a service facility. Nylon wire ties can be lifesavers on the road.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

Call Spartan. They'll send what you need.
Easy fix-it-yourself project.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

I'd say you could push the eye back over what is left of the rubber bush and use wire or ties to keep it in place until you can get a new bush.
As others have said, it is best not to drive with a dead flat airbag even though it will probably have an external or internal rubber buffer to keep it bottoming out completely
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll definitely make sure that I get that arm in place before driving off to a repair facility. The roads in Virginia Beach are not exactly the best.

Once again, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
No offense intended, but be careful under there. Jack stands etc.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I'm not exactly what you would call mechanically inclined . . .
Then you don't want to dick around with it.

It looks like the ride height adjust which can inflate/deflate the airbag in a heartbeat.

When my rear ride height adjustor broke on I-80, Coach Net fixed it in about an hour.

However, the rear adjustor on my 2001 MADP is a "stock" part -- not a unique Spartan part, so it was easily fixed.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks. Where would one get such a bushing? I'm not exactly what you would call mechanically inclined, put popping something onto something else with the liberal use of grease maybe something i can manage.

Thanks
If not that inclined mechanically I'd suggest go to any reputable heavy truck shop (like Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner). You could even go to any highway coach facility. They can have the coach over the pit or on a frame machine, stand under the coach, repair the leveling valve issue, readjust ride height. Just that simple and "SAFE". You could very easily get "Sqashed" and I'm not trying to scare you......That's a fact.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I did go under the coach yesterday to see what I could do. I was quick to realize that my not small frame was not going to fit under deflated coach. So I did the not so smart thing of raise it on its leveling system, then safely place wooden blocks under the frame. I didn't spend much time under there, I was absolutely terrified with the unwelcome creaking I was hearing while I was under there. My next time under there will be with heavy duty jacks which I'll buy today so I can attach the nylon wire ties so I can get it into a repair shop. Thanks so much for everyone's advice.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
You indeed were very lucky. Not sure what triggered mine to come away from the bushing, I did inspect the rubber bushing and noticed not much left. I also noticed that there's a bit of torque against that rubber bushing from the connecting arm. I imagine a combination of the rough roads I was driving on at the time and the degradation of the rubber bushing caused my failure.