Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Roadmaster Rock Shield

Has any one ever used Roadmaster’s Rock shield, Blue Ox Kar shield, Roadmaster’s Tow Defender or Blue Ox Kar deflectors. How effective are any of these options in protecting your tow vehicle and do they effect the MPG.
csmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

No, not me, I haven't used any rock guards. But let me tell you that after travelling for 3 summers across the west (coast, mostly) I don't see any rock damage or even chipped paint on the front of our toad. We have a 40' Beaver MH with that beaver tail mud flap across the rear. But if the road is wet or if its been raining, boy does the toad get dirty! First stop, car wash!!

Note that we drive on paved roads, and haven't yet made a trip to AK. But we did tour the Canadian Rockies and most of BC, including Vancouver Island in the MH. Keeping our fingers crossed!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

We have a Blue Ox and tried to add the Roadmaster Defender that stretches fabric across the top of tow bars to stop gravel/road debris. Had to send it back... Didn't fit my Blue Ox properly, and had no cut-outs for the exhaust on my motorhome... Have since towed my Jeep 3500 miles with nothing but the Blue Ox with no discernible damage.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDutchman View Post
We have a Blue Ox and tried to add the Roadmaster Defender that stretches fabric across the top of tow bars to stop gravel/road debris. Had to send it back... Didn't fit my Blue Ox properly, and had no cut-outs for the exhaust on my motorhome... Have since towed my Jeep 3500 miles with nothing but the Blue Ox with no discernible damage.

Any discernible drop in MPG with that flat surface on the front of the tow vehicle?
Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

This subject has been beat to a pulp over the years but yes, I've used the Blueox KarGard and the Roadmaster Tow Defender. After removing my full width flap from the back of my coach I no longer use either one and have zero rock chips to my toad.
While using the KarGard on our trip to Alaska, I had tiny stones covering the toad at the end of each day. Plus, I had stone chips to the rear cap of the coach from stones bouncing off the KarGard. Removed the flap in Whitehorse, YK and no more stones.
The Tow Defender was an OK device but because of my rear exhaust I had to flip the assembly to lower it and miss the exhaust. I gave up using it because it was always covered in road grime and as such had to "suit up" to roll it up and out.
Conclusion, remove the rear flap and save your money. You don't need anything.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

I never did tow with any kind of shield... That one was supposedly designed for my Blue Ox but was way of in the cut-out spacing on the connection point to the toad, and had no cutout for the exhaust, yet warranty stated that any melting from exhaust was not covered...took it back and now tow with nothing but the tow bars.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have and use the Roadmaster Guardian together with my Roadmaster Base plate and tow bar and it (Guardian shield) has been very effective at preventing road debris from damaging the front our tow vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV. When used with the Roadmaster Base Plate it easily installs using 2-clevis pins that secure it in square tubing channels that serve for mounting the guard. It also is collapsable thus allowing for easy storage when not in use.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1413.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	185937
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
I have and use the Roadmaster Guardian together with my Roadmaster Base plate and tow bar and it (Guardian shield) has been very effective at preventing road debris from damaging the front our tow vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV. When used with the Roadmaster Base Plate it easily installs using 2-clevis pins that secure it in square tubing channels that serve for mounting the guard. It also is collapsable thus allowing for easy storage when not in use.

Attachment 185937

Have you noticed a drop in your MPG on your couch with the flat front of the rock Guardian?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmack View Post
Have you noticed a drop in your MPG on your couch with the flat front of the rock Guardian?
Never considered it a factor. Never will.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was going to get a Roadmaster Guardian until I read this in my owner manual: "Use of a shield mounted in front of the vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. If using a shield, only use one that attaches to the towing vehicle."
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We use the Roadmaster Defender and are pleased with it. We started out without in our Phaeton towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. We purchased after noticing a lot of small chips in the paint after traveling through Montana. We transferred the Defender to the Dutch Star and have continued using it. The only problem we've noticed is that the DS exhaust has melted a small area of plastic on the Defender. It's fine. Gas mileage is not a consideration; saving our job matters more. Pleased with it.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
I was going to get a Roadmaster Guardian until I read this in my owner manual: "Use of a shield mounted in front of the vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. If using a shield, only use one that attaches to the towing vehicle."
That statement makes no sense. If the toad vehicle engine is not running, what effect would a tow Defender have on Transmission cooling? The Transmission lube pump is not operating and therefore the oil is not flowing through the cooler.

i stopped using one for different reasons as stated in my earlier post.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We use the Tow Defender between our coach and the Honda CR-V towed. It has worked very well and we have zero rock dings on the front of the towed. We did cut off the hanging flap on the right side to clear the exhaust.

As for the "road grime" issue, I keep a pair of gloves in the back of the towed and use them when rolling up the fabric. No big deal.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster