Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a 2002 37', gas, Mountain Aire, One year ago. I have chased a noise problem in the front of this vehicle the entire time I have owned it. It occurs anywhere from 45 to 70 miles an hour. I have called Newmar at least 3 times with no positive results. I took it first to an authorized Work Horse facility, Cummings Atlantic, Kenly NC. They kept it a week, drove the heck out of it, and duplicated the howling, roaring noise, on the road everytime. Then they ran it on the dynometer for 45 minutes and no noise was present. They then looked at the front wheel bearings, and suggested they be changed. So I authorized it and it was done. Still no change in the roaring, howling front end. We spent 5 months in Maine and then returned to NC. I then took it to an Allison facility in New Bern, NC, Covington Diesel. We drove it and it was suggested it might be the transmission pump. The front seal had a leak in it and that is the time to inspect the pump when the unit is out of the vehicle. The rig has 28,00 miles on it. The pump looked good, everything re-installed and road tested-- guess what -- the noise was still there. I've spent $2000 by now chasing this problem. So today I removed the grill from the unit and gave it a road test-- hooray the aggrevating, annoying noise is gone!!! I immediately contacted newmar Tech Support and told them what I found -- I'm now waiting for a reply.

Has anyone else, with an '02 had a similiar problem? I have noticed the '04 has a similar grill except the 6 horizontal fins have a 20-30 degree bent down leading edge in the middle 2/3's of the grill. I wonder if that has any bearing on my problem causing a design change. Incidently, I had a long conversation with the '04 owner and he has no noise problem. I notice the steel grill fins are not welded all the way forward to their vertical supports. I can "ding" the fins with a finger snap and get a harmonic singing noise that rings for a time. If Newmar has no answers, or no help to offer, I will weld the fins all the way to the front edges of the vertical supports and if that doesn't work, I'll purchase an '04 grill. Please let me know of any similiar experiences you '02 owners-- Thanks for your indulgence, Max H

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased a 2002 37', gas, Mountain Aire, One year ago. I have chased a noise problem in the front of this vehicle the entire time I have owned it. It occurs anywhere from 45 to 70 miles an hour. I have called Newmar at least 3 times with no positive results. I took it first to an authorized Work Horse facility, Cummings Atlantic, Kenly NC. They kept it a week, drove the heck out of it, and duplicated the howling, roaring noise, on the road everytime. Then they ran it on the dynometer for 45 minutes and no noise was present. They then looked at the front wheel bearings, and suggested they be changed. So I authorized it and it was done. Still no change in the roaring, howling front end. We spent 5 months in Maine and then returned to NC. I then took it to an Allison facility in New Bern, NC, Covington Diesel. We drove it and it was suggested it might be the transmission pump. The front seal had a leak in it and that is the time to inspect the pump when the unit is out of the vehicle. The rig has 28,00 miles on it. The pump looked good, everything re-installed and road tested-- guess what -- the noise was still there. I've spent $2000 by now chasing this problem. So today I removed the grill from the unit and gave it a road test-- hooray the aggrevating, annoying noise is gone!!! I immediately contacted newmar Tech Support and told them what I found -- I'm now waiting for a reply.

Has anyone else, with an '02 had a similiar problem? I have noticed the '04 has a similar grill except the 6 horizontal fins have a 20-30 degree bent down leading edge in the middle 2/3's of the grill. I wonder if that has any bearing on my problem causing a design change. Incidently, I had a long conversation with the '04 owner and he has no noise problem. I notice the steel grill fins are not welded all the way forward to their vertical supports. I can "ding" the fins with a finger snap and get a harmonic singing noise that rings for a time. If Newmar has no answers, or no help to offer, I will weld the fins all the way to the front edges of the vertical supports and if that doesn't work, I'll purchase an '04 grill. Please let me know of any similiar experiences you '02 owners-- Thanks for your indulgence, Max H

Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Max, WELCOME to iRV2!!

I'm certain someone will be along with some answers for you....

We're glad you've found one of the best sources on the net for Newmar information!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Max, welcome to iRV2.com. Thanks for posting of this issue. Sorry you had to spend so much to find out it is the front grill. You will find we are a group of fun loving RVers that like to help each other where we can. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forum so have fun and post often!
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #5

You may have helped a few more people with this problem by posting. I know,My Hurricane wistles at 55mph and above if its raining.Found out it was famous for my MH,dealer heard about it from me first(or so he says ).

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #6

Max

I have an '04 Mountain Aire and once in awhile I get a pretty loud wind noise from the grill. I think mine is related to the wind angle when I'm driving. I know of one other person with an '04 that had extreme noise from the wind through the grill. His dealer fixed his for him under warranty. The dealer felt it was a Newmar design issue. Be aware though, the '04 design doesn't necessarily prevent the noise.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Jack,

Appreciate it-- you don't know exactly what the dealer did for the fix - do you?? I brazed the fins all the way to the front of the vertical support bars and re-installed/test drove it and its better, and now it has a lower frequency roar and not at all the speeds as before. My next fix is to get some 3/16" cold roll steel and cut pieces to fit between the fins and braze them in place in the leading edges of the fins-- "I ain't gonna let this dog lie". I thought I would call the nearest Newmar center to me, in Wilmington NC, on monday and ask them to fix the grill and see what they say-- Newmar in Indiana could care less. I can carry the grill to them in Wilmington instead of driving the rig there-- and leaving it--( I hate doing that ),

Thanks Again, Max H
Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #8

Max

I'll see if I still have the guys email address and get hold of him to see if I can find out how his dealer fixed the problem. I'll let you know.

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Max welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum
Howard in Wilmington may have the fix you want as you say very good to customer problems.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.

When your ready for some KARMA just let me know.
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #10

Max

I triedd to send the guy I mentioned an email and it was rejected. Apparently he's changed his email address and I don't have his new one.
I'd suggest trying Newmar customer service. Even though you're out of warranty, they may know a fix you can suggest to a dealer.

Sorry

Jack

Old 03-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Could it be that the fan clutch is locking up? because the engine coolant temperature is rising ??? once in a while.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New fan clutch installed too--- It's definitely the grill- all the noise disappears when it's removed. The grill "sings" with a harmonic ring when its snapped with your finger.

Thanks for the input, Max H
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Since you know that it is the grill,why don't you try to de-tune the resonant frequency by attaching a spring to the grill pulling inward.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks siggyd--

Its worth a try. I'll still contact some service depts next week and speak with them. As I said earlier, Newmar tech help has been no help. They told me to take it to Perry, GA to the FMCA Rally and let the techs look at it. Now that I know what the cause is, I'll try to sort it out myself. I'll keep you folks posted-- I guess I'm trying to de-tune it by brazing the supports and adding some new ones. I'll sort it out before I get to repainting the grill. I might try the springs-- That reminds me of some airplanes that had vibration/ harmonic problems that were disastrous-- the Lockeed Electra and the Air Force C-133. I spoke with a C-133 pilot many years ago in Spain when I took an F-102 to Depot maintenance in Seville. He said on a trip from Maguire AFB, NJ to Germany or Spain, you could pick a rivet in the windshield to watch and after a 5-6 hr flight it would be loose. They retired the entire fleet of C-133 aircraft early. The engines were in a straight line, no offset, and the harmonics were unbeliveable. The electra had a similiar problem-- and some were lost because of it.

Thanks again, Guys/Gals

Max H