Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Rock Guard Installation

Leave it to me to destroy my rock guard and not know it until a fellow motorist flagged me down to alert me. However it happened I have no clue (guess a low dip or curb) but anyway I stopped, un-bolted it and threw it in a dumpster. It was broken, partially folded back upon itself and trashed. No damage to the coach or undercarriage.

Now I received a new one from Newmar which came without any instructions and as shown below (see photo). Problem is since I have no instructions and I failed to look closely enough at my original one - I'm unsure how it bolts together.

Contacted Customer service but they've yet to send me instructions.

Anyone out there (yeah, you guys and gals) got a close up photo of your guard attached to and suspended from the chains. I'm not sure how or where to attach the 4-four small metal strips, i.e. how to space them out, and attach to the heavy plastic guard, then hang from the chains which are still attached to my coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	155031

rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
From everything I've read it's nothing more than a marketing vehicle from Newmar
Don't get me wrong I love my Newmar DSDP but have considered just removing it as I've read I just propels stuff onto the toad.
More experience and advice is needed

Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You have two connectors like this on the underside of the coach, bolted to the frame rails.

Here are the connections on the mud flap. They use a short piece of chain. I installed quick connects so that it can easily be removed.

Too bad you already bought from Newmar. DuraFlap in Oregon sells a much better quality flap with Newmar logo.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Don thanks for the pointer about DuraFlap . . .
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Another Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Leave it to me to destroy my rock guard and not know it until a fellow motorist flagged me down to alert me. However it happened I have no clue (guess a low dip or curb) but anyway I stopped, un-bolted it and threw it in a dumpster. It was broken, partially folded back upon itself and trashed. No damage to the coach or undercarriage.

Now I received a new one from Newmar which came without any instructions and as shown below (see photo). Problem is since I have no instructions and I failed to look closely enough at my original one - I'm unsure how it bolts together.

Contacted Customer service but they've yet to send me instructions.

Anyone out there (yeah, you guys and gals) got a close up photo of your guard attached to and suspended from the chains. I'm not sure how or where to attach the 4-four small metal strips, i.e. how to space them out, and attach to the heavy plastic guard, then hang from the chains which are still attached to my coach.

Attachment 155031
Now that you have a replacement rock guard, I'm going to complicate your thinking by offering another option - not replacing the full-width rock guard. There seem to be a variety of opinions out there on the efficacy of these guards. Some argue that the mud flaps already in place behind the rear tires are much better positioned and effective at blocking rocks. They also opine that the large low hanging full-width flap is more of a decorative advertisement for Newmar than it is an effective rock deterrent and may even result in launching more rocks. After two Newmar coaches (which we have loved) and multiple issues with the full-width flap and damage to our toad, we took the advice of the skeptics and went "skirtless". We have since traveled over 10,000 miles on highways and gravel and have had no further toad damage.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #6

On our all-summer Alaska trip when we got to Whitehorse, Yukon, a couple motorhome owners were actually taking off their full-width stiff 'rock' guards. We went over and talked to them and they showed us the layer of rock laying at the base of their toad's windshield and pits in the hoods. We had just traveled through the same area and didn't have one ding. We didn't have the rear 'rock' guard/advertisement, only the flaps behind each tires. We never received damage to the toad.

Later, while traveling through Salt Lake City on a very rainy day, I began watching motorhomes traveling in the opposite direction. Those that had the full guard has an arc of water hitting the hood of their toads. Those without the guard had the water aiming at the tires. That convinced us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
Now that you have a replacement rock guard, I'm going to complicate your thinking by offering another option - not replacing the full-width rock guard. There seem to be a variety of opinions out there on the efficacy of these guards. Some argue that the mud flaps already in place behind the rear tires are much better positioned and effective at blocking rocks. They also opine that the large low hanging full-width flap is more of a decorative advertisement for Newmar than it is an effective rock deterrent and may even result in launching more rocks. After two Newmar coaches (which we have loved) and multiple issues with the full-width flap and damage to our toad, we took the advice of the skeptics and went "skirtless". We have since traveled over 10,000 miles on highways and gravel and have had no further toad damage.
I agree totally. I removed the rear flap in Whitehorse, YK on our way to Alaska three years ago because our toad was covered with stones every day. This after raising it to its maximum height prior to departure.
After removing the flap, no more stones.
I left the flap in the CG in Whitehorse and have not replaced it. Further, I was using a full width Blueox KarGard which I have not used at all since our return from AK. I found this device was causing stones from the rear flap to bounce off and result in rock chips on the rear cap of the coach.
In 10K or more miles I have not had a rear flap or any other so called protection devices other than the flaps behind the rear duals.
The rear of the coach and toad stay cleaner as does the engine compartment. No more hassle installing, removing and storing protection devices.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Not to hijack this thread but do any states require mud flaps or rock guards be installed ?

2008 Newmar Essex
Cummins ISM 500
Allison 4000
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked2145 View Post
Not to hijack this thread but do any states require mud flaps or rock guards be installed ?
Not 100% positive but I believe the flaps behind the duals are the only requirement if any. Have you ever seen a semi with a full rear flap?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #10

Sure wish I knew you needed one. I have a NEWMAR rear flap hanging on my shop wall that I would have given you!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I appreciate everyone's input, opinions and feedback - but I'm going to proceed with replacing the rock guard with the new, same OEM version. Will see what becomes of it from our experience.

rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install