Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Roof Access and Tire Questions on Essex and King Aire

Forgive me for what will sound like ignorant questions on the King Aire and Essex coaches but I have not yet been able to see either model line due to them being non-existant in So. Calf. area. Also, I have never owned a coach either and only rfented some smaller ghas burners. The Newmar website does not address these questions either:

1) Do both lines have a spare tire and if so where is it located on the K2 and K3 chassis?

2) If a flat does occur then I am assuming that most owners would always call a mobile tire / tow service due to tire weight/ size, jacking difficulties, impact wrench, etc. Or can some owners change these large tires themselves?

3) I assume that the jack leveling system on these coaches cannot be used to change tires?

3) How do you access the roof since there is not a rear cap ladder. Exept for periodic cleaning of the roof, I am assuming there is not a need to get up there except when repairs to the AC, sattelite and other (?) equipment are necessary.
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BucketList,
1. There is no spare tire. No spare is industry standard on DP coaches. I purchased a mounted spare and have it stored in the coach basement.

2. Coach owners should have an emergency road service (i.e., Coach Net, Good Sam). Most owners will not attempt to change a large DP tire. The wheel and tire can weigh as much as 220 lbs. The lug nuts are at 450 ft lbs of torque. That being said, I have changed all the tires (except left inside rear). It's a long story already posted elsewhere.

3. For safety reasons, you are correct. However, the jacks will lift the tires off the ground.

4. You are correct. Maintenance and repair are the only reasons to get on the roof. Owner roof access is not encouraged. Access is only by a ladder of your choice. If done, remember to pad the ladder where it will contact the top of the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

I agree with Gary's comments except for roof access. A step ladder provides the best access. Climb the ladder and step on the edge of a slide then step over the awning. When the coach is washed they always use that method for cleaning the roof.

Peter
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

For roof access we carry the 1800W Professional Line Telesteps Ladder with us: Telesteps - Products

Sue
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our 06 Essex must be a 'step child'. We have a ladder mounted in the back with the lower section stowed in the basement.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the jacks are sized like the cheaper Newmars the jacks are rated to lift the entire weight of the MH and suspend it there indefinatly.

On our DSDP the lug nuts take 500 ft lbs and need to be lubed first.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
Our 06 Essex must be a 'step child'. We have a ladder mounted in the back with the lower section stowed in the basement.
Not really a "step child" just a change in how things are done over the years. Older rigs had the ladders, the new ones don't. It does look more upscale but I'd still rather have a ladder attached
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In 2007 they mounted the awnings on the roof and added a spoiler on the rear and deleted the ladder.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #9

Thanks to all who have posted. I have checked out the telesteps website and that will solve the roof access problem. Now as to the spare tire question. Can someone explain the logic of why the manufacture does not put a spare on the DP motorhome. This does not make sense to me. Am I to expect that if I were to lose a tire and maybe even bend a wheel rim from say a large pot hole that a mobile tire service tech will have a new tier and wheel on their truck? This sounds crazy to me, but then I will admit I am not familiar with large trucks and buses............Now Gary KD states in his reply above that he purchased a spare and stored it in the basement.
BucketList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. Save room
2. Not many people can handle an over 200# tire/wheel
3. 450-500 ft lbs torque on the lugs.
4. Save money
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #11

Bucket, that's what roadside service is for.... Tire and wheel weigh in the 200lbs range, the lugs are at 500ft lbs, the spare is massive. All these reasons are why spares are NOT included.

The carry a spare or not debate is a matter of personal preference. In 80,000 moho miles and 250,000 tow vehicle miles I have NEVER had a flat.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BucketList,
Welcome to the world of large motor coaches. It has been so long since a spare tire was included with a DP, I can't remember if and when it was ever done. In addition to what has been posted, manufacturers feel those who can afford the coach are not going to use a spare tire. Not having a spare tire does free up quite a bit of basement storage space. Some purchase a spare tire, unmounted. This takes up very little net space since the center of the tire can continue to be used for storage. As to the example of bending a wheel, this wold only be a disaster on a front wheel. If that happened the mobile service tech would swap one of the rear tires to the front and that would allow you to limp into the tire service center. I have needed my spare tire once in the 7 years with this coach. However, that was my choice. Before that, It has to be about 20+ years since I had a tire problem with a coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof