Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Roof access cable run for WiFi Ranger

I need some help from some experienced users...

I have a 2015 4018 DSDP with factory installed satellite and batwing. I am looking to install a WiFi Ranger on the bat wing and ideally run the cable via the bat wing or satellite cable runs. I am trying to avoid drilling new holes in roof.

Can anyone help with what I may find underneath the caps for the satellite and bat wing cable runs on roof?

Any other suggestions?
Iowa - 6Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

All you will find is a hole for each cable. Cap is simply for weatherproofing. There is no conduit that you can do a pull with an additional cable.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had to deal with it last week, and under pressure with approaching hurricane.. I made a wifi ranger mount that can be lowered with electric actuator from inside the coach. Decided to install the router and antenna mount switch in the 1/2 bathroom (2015 DS 4368) cabinet where the 12V panel and 110V breaker panel reside. Needed a 5/8" hole, so I started from below going up with 1' long 1/4" drill bit, and than schnit hit the fan[emoji33]. Made some smoke. Drilled into #2 AC 110V wire. Miscalculated the position of the hole. After calming down, drilled in the right place and now I have working wifi ranger, but only 2 working AC's.
Lucky for us we are in Meridian Mississippi and it is 60F.
When we get back to FL I will deal with the repairs of the wire.
6-Pack, you have to take the plunge and open the access plate, but Newmar did not make too many provisions for future wire runs. They run all the wires with the panels open, after that, who cares? There is no magic solution as far as I can tell.
Good luck
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no good answer here...but for future reference, if you ever order a new rig from Newmar, they will put in conduits wherever you want. I had one put in from the roof to the front AV cabinet for a Wifi Ranger (and maybe a we-boost someday). I had other conduits run as well...
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #5

Wifi Ranger cable run

Our FWS 2010 Ventana had setup for a washer/dryer with a standpipe to the roof. Mounted the wifiranger on the ladder and ran the coax down the standpipe. Drilled a small hole in the pipe inside the laundry area and fished the coax out. Needed to put a rubber stopper around the wire to keep the grey water tank odor out. Other than that worked fine.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a propane/electric refrigerator you can do like I did. Run the AC electric cord down the refrigerator vent channel and plug it in to the outlet at the bottom. I don't have a router on the inside, so no need to run wiring inside the coach.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof