Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #1

Roof cleaner recommendation

My roof hasn't been cleaned in about a year and is quite dirty from all the dirt dropped from the florida oaks and pine trees. I scrubbed a small area with just a baby wipe and amazingly it became white. Regardless does anyone have a recommendation for cleaning the roof? I was going to use a car wash detergent but wasn't sure if it would effect the roof? I have a 2005 Newmar DutchStar model 3810. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #2

For mine I use dishwashing liquid, and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

Try this.... A mixture of water, car washing soap, bleach. I use a two gallon yard sprayer and put a gallon of water, two cups of bleach, and a cup of the soap. Spray it on and let it set for about 5 minutes then spray it off with a garden hose. I'll repeat on any areas that linger. You can also use a soft bristle brush to help remove the tough spots. I use the same mixture on all the "things" on the roof.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #4

This solution is ok to run down the sides of the RV and not effect the paint ?
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

You have a BriteTEK rubber roof. Be careful taking cleaning advice from these with a Fiberglass roof.

https://dicorproducts.com/resources/...oofbook_16.pdf
Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi myshaggydog,
My roof is BriteTEK. I use Simple Green to clean. Warning, cleaning the roof begins quite a labor and time consuming process. All the crud on the roof will come down onto the front, back and sides of the coach. Retract the awnings before washing the roof. Once the roof is clean, you'll then be faced with cleaning/waxing the coach. Cleaning the windows, etc. When that is done, the tires and wheels will need cleaning to look as good as the coach. Next comes the toad. Can't have a dirty toad with a clean coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #7

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did download the dicor pdf file and read through the suggestions and products. We will be doing a major cleaning of the coach this summer when we get back to our kids house in Upstate NY. I like the simple green idea and have used the product before, we will give that a shot and let ya'all know how we make out and what products we used for various parts of the RV cleaning. Probably will take us all summer - lol. Thanks again and best of luck. Happy RV'ing
Old 02-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your Owners Guide will have a section for general cleaning of your coach also Section 9 pg. 6, be careful up there roof maybe slippery when wet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Be careful of the simple green running down the sides, " other products may do this to". I used it to clean my 200 hp Mercury outboard cowling once, 10 years ago and still have streaks in the paint where it ran down the sides that I cant get out. If u do use it, keep the sides wet and don't use it in direct hot sunlight. Just my advice from experience. Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #10

Gary - I just dug out my specs for our Dutch Star and it seems the previous owner had upgraded from the Brite-tec to a fiberglass roof.

Mike thanks for the info. I plan on doing a 3X3 square give or take and use a bucket to wipe up the residue trying to not have any dripping down the sides. Of course plans change and things happen.

Again thanks all for your comments.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You have a BriteTEK rubber roof. Be careful taking cleaning advice from these with a Fiberglass roof.

https://dicorproducts.com/resources/...oofbook_16.pdf
In the document referenced in the link above, on page 8, there is this statement: "A power washer with the correct nozzle (use a wider pattern, not a concentrated stream) and a long enough wand is a great tool for cleaning and rinsing your RV roof."

Now, I love my pressure washer and use it often around the house and property to clean just about anything I can get wet. But, it seems to me this can be a potential disaster waiting to happen if used on your coated roof. Just wondering if anyone uses, or has used, this method to clean their roofs and how it has worked out for you.

Roger
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't use pressure washer, I use a soft brush and Turtle Wax CAR WASH cleans up great.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
To KISS this, I use either Simple Green or 409 as the cleaner. Get on my hands and knees with a scrub brush (like for floors) and terry cloth towels (lots of towels). I clean an area with the brush and chemical. Then wipe it dry with the towel(s). Each area cleaned is whatever my arm will reach. I start at the front and work my way back. In total I use about 6 bath size terry cloth towels. Once a towel is no longer able to soak up the dirty chemical over the side it goes. After all is done, all the towels go into the wash. They come out clean as new ready for the wax removal that comes the following day.

Not to complicate matters, but do not forget the slide toppers. They need cleaning too. Anyone with arms as long as mine can clean the toppers at the same time the roof is cleaned.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof