RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Roof covering materials

I have a 2000 DS DP 35’. I checked with Newmar on two separate occasions as to what my roof covering was made of. Both times they said I have an EDTM roof/rubber.
My roof ( in the process of scrubbing it ) is pure white when cleaned and has a white fuzzy backing on it. I’ve been told by fellow RVers it’s a “brite-tec roof,” kinda like a plastic.
So my question is if EDTM (sp?) is that the same as the brite-tec ? Secondly, once all the roof is cleaned, and I’ve Eternabonded all the seams, is there some sort of clear protective spray/brush on that can be applied to the roof to prevent further oxidation The roof is in very good condition for being 18 years old. Thanks in advance

Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

If it's Britetek, it's supposed to be a hybrid EPDM/TPO material.

The only thing I've seen people talk about putting on Britetek roofs is 303 aerospace.

tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Didn't I give you some links on roofs before, they are in QT's 1 & 2 explains differences and replacement of roofs, three links.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

You may have but I’ve slept since then. Reviewed the current links you sent and only found a couple of posts that partially cover my questions. I do believe my roofing material is TPO or as some call it bright-tec. I am looking for the best coating to protect and maintain my roof that I can apply, either in white or clear. A plus would be if someone has already blazed this trail so I can follow.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Check this out from Dicor. I believe it is recommended for Brite TEK roofs.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/ro...ill-container/
Old 07-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

In general you need a good elastomeric roof coating compatible with what ever the roof actually is...there are quite a bit of roof coatings, some requiring primers some not depending...
if its for sure TPO, this is a good commercial roof coating however Id surely spot sample test any coating especially over any existing caulks and joint sealants as well as the roof before going all in. Dicor is probably a safe bet as well....no coating is going to repair the membrane but some can make it last longer if applied properly
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You do not need to coat the Brite-tec roof just wash and clean and wipe with their protector if you want, a coating would probably peel off over time.
My 15 year coach roof is as good as new, its only warrantied for 12 years.
I used Turtle Washing wax to clean.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roof