RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roof problems experience?

I have a 2014 Ventana 3436 Diesel which I purchased in March. I clipped a branch and took the top off my plumbing vent, while up there I noticed black specs everywhere. I scrubbed the whole roof with soap, water and a brush which lightened them up but didn't completely remove them. Since then I have tried denatured alcohol which Newmar instructed me to use as a cleaner for all the sealant before re-caulking them, which worked great. I tried several other solvents including the denatured alcohol (in a test spot), also fiberglass polishing compound, 303 protectant, clay bar and also Mequirs wax and besides the spots not coming off the fiberglass finish appears dull, not glossy. The other thing I noticed as I was scrubbing on my hands and knees were some places where the fiberglass didn't feel solid, not structurally but like pockets that seemed like they glued or weren't attached? Can anyone offer any suggestions or have any experience with this? All the forums I've read not one complaint about the fiberglass roofs having any such issues and one gentleman I talked to said the fiberglass sounded like it was "delaminated" where these pockets were which could be due to water penetration. When I resealed there was no evidence of a bad seal and I have no water stains inside. I have opened up both air units from the inside and inspected the penetrations and everything looks good. I'm hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on my question so I can start sleeping again some time soon.

Shmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
JnC

I have a Ventana Le with the same slight ripples in the roof fiberglass. Following your thread to see what others say. I believe mine is normal, but I did have to reseal the roof seams where they met the front / rear caps as they weren’t done properly at the factory. In theory water could have penetrated. I’m waiting for others to chime in.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

I had great luck with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop, and using just dishwashing liquid.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The spots are not unusual, especially if the previous owner never cleaned or treated the roof. Remember, it's 5 years old and possibly never taken care of. Unless it really bothers you, I would wax and keep it clean in the future. If it does bother you, you might have to get aggressive with buffing compound.

Your roof was installed as one large single piece of fiberglass. It's got insulation under it and frame work. It's NOT bonded to foam core or wood. It's glued down, but not every square inch. So, when you walk on it, it's going to flex. It's tough for it to become delaminated, because it is one singular piece, unless you're seeing issues around vents or other attachments.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your roof was installed as one large single piece of fiberglass. It's got insulation under it and frame work. It's NOT bonded to foam core or wood. It's glued down, but not every square inch. So, when you walk on it, it's going to flex. It's tough for it to become delaminated, because it is one singular piece, unless you're seeing issues around vents or other attachments.
Are you 100% sure of that. I keep hearing everyone say how Newmar uses a thick piece of fiberglass for the walls and roofs. Newmar lists this as a "composite" piece of fiberglass. When I installed a new microwave vent I found out that "composite" fiberglass sidewall is plywood (or luan) sandwiched between two pieces of fiberglass. There is definitely wood in my sidewalls. I'm 100% positive. I just wonder if there is any difference for roofs or other models in the Newmar line.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Try using vinegar in those black spots. Sponge on, let sit for about 30 minutes, then clean with soap n water. The black spots are more than likely mildew. Vinegar will kill the mildew. Bleach will only turn it white, it doesn’t kill it.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We watched them hang the walls and they let you touch the roof, as you walk by during the tour. There are usually about 6-8 of them stacked on top of each other. What I'm saying is, the one piece roof that they lift up on to the isn't glued down EVERY square inch. It can flex, as it's a sheet, not a 2" thick bonded unit. I'm guessing the sheets we saw were about 3/8" - 1/2" thick. I wish I had taken a photo of the roof during our factory tour.

Here is a picture of the exterior of the coach, before the insulation is installed. The insulation is not fiberglass, but looks and handles just like the rolled insulation you use in a house. Once the insulation is glued on, they run a bead of caulking (glue) on every piece of metal framing. Once it's glued up, they bring a long single sheet of fiberglass (about 1/8" - 1/4" thick), on a crane, and hang it over the side of the coach. One guy rivets it dead center at the top, they level it and he moves down the side installing rivets. Before he's even done, a guy is on the inside, drilling a hole at the four corners of the slide opening. Minutes later, someone else is saw cutting the slide opening. They remove that piece of material, mark the coach number on it and advance it forward to install on the exterior of the slide, once it's installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010373.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	224490

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems, roof