Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #1

Roof Safety

My Wife surprised me with Season Passes to the Texas Motor Speedway infield camping this year. The first race is in April. I am taking some close friends and everyone is talking about seating on the roof and watching the race. I have told them that I am concerned about walking and sitting in chairs on the roof. Not to mention that I am sure that a few Alcoholic Beverages will be consumed. Has anyone ever done this? Should I just stand my ground and keep the roof off limits?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't want anyone on your roof. They are not made for that type of weight not to mention the damage that could happen or the liability of someone falling off. Stay on the ground, enjoy the race from there.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #3

That was pretty much my thought. I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrockey View Post
My Wife surprised me with Season Passes to the Texas Motor Speedway infield camping this year. The first race is in April. I am taking some close friends and everyone is talking about seating on the roof and watching the race. I have told them that I am concerned about walking and sitting in chairs on the roof. Not to mention that I am sure that a few Alcoholic Beverages will be consumed. Has anyone ever done this? Should I just stand my ground and keep the roof off limits?
Just remind everyone that there is no bathroom on the roof and they will rethink the whole roof thing ...
Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #5

"Approval" notwithstanding, sitting on motorhome roofs is pretty common at race tracks. Back in the day, Winnebago used to have an ad where one motorhome was placed on top of another. However, we don't sit on our roof anymore...

Quote:
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

I go to Texas, Daytona, ChicagoLand all in field & always at least 6 people on the roof, we bring up 2 coolers & a 40" TV. & I know it's not the safest thing but we have been doing this for 20 years & thankfully not a problem.
The reason you park in the infield is to not have to buy a grandstand seat.
In regards to the toilet some of the more inventive guys have a hose & a funnel running down to the ground.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
DJJ

Quote:
Remembering the first time I climbed the RV ladder to get on the roof, it was a little scary as I don't do heights very well. I 'm thinking that most non RV owners never having climbed that skinny little ladder will rethink the roof view. At Daytona they do have some stands close to turn 2 that we watch from. Depending on your location on the infield at Texas there may be better places to watch the race. Most RVs that I have seen with fans on the roofs have installed platforms, hand rails and better ladders.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I go to Texas, Daytona, ChicagoLand all in field & always at least 6 people on the roof, we bring up 2 coolers & a 40" TV. & I know it's not the safest thing but we have been doing this for 20 years & thankfully not a problem.
In regards to the toilet some of the more inventive guys have a hose & a funnel running down to the ground.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have season tickets at TMS. We camp outside the track in the Lone star campground. Spent one race in the infield with a friend parked right next to the track we could only watch the cars pass by for a few hundred feet. If you only go to party the infield is ok but if you want to see them race go into grandstands.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:

Color me surprised ...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Awe come on, after I posted the thing about the funnel & hose, this is the only response I get !
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

My Winnebago manual states that the maximum weight on the roof should be no more than 300 pounds, that is a 200 pound person and 100 pounds of gear as an example from the manual.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Awe come on, after I posted the thing about the funnel & hose, this is the only response I get !
That's cuz we are all wondering what happens with stuff that's too big to fit down the hose ...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
That's cuz were are all wondering what happens with stuff that's too big to fit down the hose ...
Now, I don't care who you are; that's funny right there!
NotSoBadBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, safety