Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Running AC on 15A with Silverleaf

I think this has been covered, but yesterday when I dropped off the coach for service, I had been running the generator and all 3 AC's while en route.

I forgot to turn off the AC's from silverleaf was plugged into 15A power and when I went back there was one AC unit running.

Which brings me to my question - can you leave all AC's on and will the power management system just run them selectively while plugged into 15A? My concern is if I blow the breaker then the stuff I need to be running (fridge, etc.) gets knocked out which I definitely do not want..
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Why do you need even one A/C running if no one is in the RV? I'd save the 15A service for the refrigerator and converter/charger and leave the other 120v items off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Why do you need even one A/C running if no one is in the RV? I'd save the 15A service for the refrigerator and converter/charger and leave the other 120v items off.
Here in Virginia it can get very hot, and we have stuff in the pantry and vanity that could melt if it got hot enough in there
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #4

I've never had luck with running anything other than the battery charger on 15A. tripping the breaker that controls the plug you're plugged into, and low voltage, always were a problem....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Here in Virginia it can get very hot, and we have stuff in the pantry and vanity that could melt if it got hot enough in there
It just seems to me that a bag or two of pantry and vanity items brought home that would be harmed by the heat would be more prudent than a full refrigerator that shuts down and all the ramifications of the spoilage, smell, etc. that could cause. 15 A just really isn't reliable to try to run an A/C, converter/charger, and the refrigerator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The mgmt system should do it. I am not sure how in silverleaf...but the basic system will default to 30A...and I would manually have to select 20A or 15A.

With the power tripped...the inverter should continue to power the fridge for the life of the batteries. Good to have AGS armed to prevent over discharging. The inverter will trip off once the LBCO setting is reached. Then your fridge will quit.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
I've never had luck with running anything other than the battery charger on 15A. tripping the breaker that controls the plug you're plugged into, and low voltage, always were a problem....
Your problem is you are plugging into a GFI circuit. 2 GFI's in series don't work. Trip the GFI in your rig and everything else will work. Plug into a 20amp even better.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It just seems to me that a bag or two of pantry and vanity items brought home that would be harmed by the heat would be more prudent than a full refrigerator that shuts down and all the ramifications of the spoilage, smell, etc. that could cause. 15 A just really isn't reliable to try to run an A/C, converter/charger, and the refrigerator.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	211914
Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Your problem is you are plugging into a GFI circuit. 2 GFI's in series don't work. Trip the GFI in your rig and everything else will work. Plug into a 20amp even better.
I ran my AC thru a Kill A Watt meter and, on a hot day, it drew 17 to 18 amps. How would tripping out 1 of 2 GFCIs in Parallel effect that ?

Plugging into a 20 amp outlet will help.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote