Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

RV Fridge Conversion to Residential Electric

So I have search on here and found a few threads on this, most of them older and the make / models of the fridges are no longer available. So I have some general questions . . .

1) If you converted your coach did you do it yourself of pay to have someone do it?

2) Did the new / old fridge come in and go out through the front door or did you do a window (which one)?

3) If you went in through the front door did you have to remove the door frame? Front passengers seat? or anything else?

4) In my camper the RV fridge is 64" tall (approximately) but appears to sit in top of a 4 or 5" platform? Did your's do that also?

5) In that same platform I have the central vac system. Did you have to deal with that as well?

Any help would be appreciated . . . even if you point me to a different thread. My biggest issues are 1) Finding the replacement to fit the hole and 2) getting it in the coach.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Fridg.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	246752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Fridg.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	246753  

Name:	Cabinet Over Fridg.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	246754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Fridg.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	246755  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you haven't already, you might consider converting your existing fridge to cool the same way that I residential does. If/when mine goes bad that's the way I'll go. Doing so removes all of the 'will it fit' type questions.

The link below will drop you in to the middle of a thread here, there is a video if you scroll down a bit. Then you can do extra research if interested.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jc-r...-404053-4.html
Old 05-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

I replaced our Norcold with a Haier 15cf residential refrigerator from Home Depot. I did all of the work myself. The old refrigerator went out the front door and the new counter depth refrigerator came in the front door (I removed the doors on both refrigerators). I did unbolt the passenger seat to make it easier and did not remove the door frame. Our coach has a furnace and subwoofer under the refrigerator and I lowered the refrigerator cabinet floor about 2" so the new refrigerator would fit.

I left a small gap between the refrigerator and the cabinet face frame (because I closed off the side and roof exterior vents because we full-time in hot and cold weather) to provide the recommended clearances for proper ventilation.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Podivin - Thanks for the JC info. I want LP completely out of my coach. So going full electric.

FatChance - Thanks a ton for the make/model info. I really wish someone made a plug and play that fit this hole. I don't get why someone doesn't do that? Anyway as I mentioned in the other post . . . The Samsung needs like 70 or 71" in height. I just don't have that so trying to come up with other options.

Tom
Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

You don't want a replacement that "fits the hole". Since you need air circulation with the recommended clearances and should close off the old exterior vents, it should not be sealed to the face frame like the RV refrigerator. Unless you don't care about doing it right, that is, IMHO.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Just to give a visual on why the clearances are important. These also vary depending on specific models or Mfg. My Frigidaire required side and top clearance. This is where the condenser coils are located so they need to get rid of the heat.

Name:	IMG_5281.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	246788Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5283.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	246789
Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Podivin - Thanks for the JC info. I want LP completely out of my coach. So going full electric.

Tom
Understood. Just as an FYI they DO have an option that is electric only, no LP. It essentially turns your existing fridge into an residential, using the same type of cooling system found in a residential. Check out their home page for details.
Note that I'm not pushing for that, I've got no dog in this race, just want you to know that it's an option.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Understood. Just as an FYI they DO have an option that is electric only, no LP. It essentially turns your existing fridge into an residential, using the same type of cooling system found in a residential. Check out their home page for details.
Note that I'm not pushing for that, I've got no dog in this race, just want you to know that it's an option.

Podivin - Thanks. I didn't realize they could turn my current fridg into an all electric. I'll look into that.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

As I expected there is a ton of threads on here about doing this . . . Copying a few of the better links in here for anyone else that may follow this trail of bread crumbs . . .

Replaced an RV Fridge with a Residential Unit - iRV2 Forums

Perhaps one of the best . . .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/out-g...tag-81685.html

Another one . . .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/new-f...dow-93522.html

On the Amish system . . .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/the-o...lem-83336.html

Another good read
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/refr...de-399936.html

This one was very good also. Several links that I recommend following.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/swap...os-341038.html

At the end of the day the biggest problem we all face is finding a unit sized that will work. The majority of the people bought the Samsung unit. Nice unit and it would work great except it is nearly 72" tall. There were (are) other shorter options . . . One guy used a Haier HRB15N3BGS. At only 68" in height it is much shorter.

Anyway . . . several of the threads I found and looked at. Some very good information.

Tags
electric, fridge