Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #1

RV genset to power house during power outage

Can this be done? This may not belong in this forum, but since I'm talking about the Generac Guardian Quietpact genset in our '04 Newmar Scottsdale I thought I throw it out here first!

I have a manual 10 circuit transfer switch like this one here http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90401

I am ready to install in our house next to the main breaker box. We park our Scottsdale next to the garage when not traveling in it, which is just on the other side of the wall that our main breaker box for the house is located on. So the genset is less than 15ft from where that manual transfer switch will be located.

So what I would like to have, is the manual transfer switch installed in the house and then be able to connect the genset to the transfer switch in the event of a power outage to power refrigerators, freezers and some lights. This would be completely manual, so power goes out I would have to connect genset to manual transfer switch, start genset and transfer power on the selected circuits from shore power to the genset.

Has anyone done this? if so how?

I look forward to your responses!

Thanks,

Mac
McDanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't answer your question.

My home is near hurricane area in Eastern NC. Several people have had portable generators tied into the houses main Bus. Then they turn off all circuit breakers not needed and crank up the genset. The problem comes in when commercial power is restored unexpectly and it feeds back into the gen set. Maybe someone else can clue us in on that-----------
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have use my 55 Generac for power outage a few times but have fed off outlets within MH compartments NOT in load center within house. Would think you would need some kind of a transfer switch so when commercial power came back on the Gen would not feed back or out on downed power lines being fix by power company.
The load you may want to keep working in house the 55 may not be able to supply.
I fed the refrigerator, pellet stove and some lights through out house for safety.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses! As I mentioned in the initial post I do have the manual transfer switch that provided a link to. The transfer switch will handle to where power is coming from whether its the genset or shore and stop backfeed into the genset when power is restored. I was only planning on running a couple refrigerators a deep freeze and some minimal lighting until the power is restored. The genset should be capable of handling that, I would think anyway.

Thanks,

Mac
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The transfer switch is just that, a MANUAL switch, you would have to be there to keep power from going external from home, transfer I was talking about acts as your transfer in MH, automatic between two feeds.
55 should be able to handle that load just didn't want to see you liable for any problem be on your home.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #6

I understand now! Not sure I did at first.

Thank you!

Mac
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just be sure you have your "MAIN" switched to OFF in the house while your gen set is running and you will not backfeed onto the power lines. Also,when power is restored it will not "fry" your gen set.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mac,
I have done this. I had an electrician install an automatic transfer switch. I installed an additional outlet in the coach electrical bay. The outlet has power only when the generator is running. I have tested this and everything works the way it should. The house is cut from the Florida Power & Light Co line. The generator will operate the circuits I have wired to the transfer switch. This is the house refrigerator and all the lights. Unfortunately, all my 220 VAC stuff will remain off until FPL returns power to the house. I have 60 AMPS coming from the generator and it powers the refrigerator and 110 VAC circuits fine. No A/C, HWH, Pool Pump, sprinkler pump, dryer, etc.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can it be done? Well.. I've done it, At least twice

I had the house re-wired when I got the coach, a new service panel, new entrance, new central air conditioning, and...

A proper GENERATOR transfer panel and inlet

I then added the proper matching outlet to the RV and bulit a matching heavy duth 30 amp cord

Found I only need 17 of those 30 amps