Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

RV inverter and RV converter

The 50 amp electrical box has a fuse for the RV converter, which, as I understand it, "converts" 120 to 12 volt in order to run the 12V side of things in my RV.
I have a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter which I use when there is no 30/50 AMP service available and I don't want to fire the gen set.
It would seem to me that I should click off the 20 AMP fuse in the 120 panel for the converter when I'm using my inverter as the exclusive power source for the RV.
I called Newmar customer service and posed the question to them and was told to leave the 20 AMP converter fuse on when using the inverter.
It seems to me, I then have the converter making 120 AC from my house bank and the converter using that same 120 AC to make 12 V dc, which seems like a useless daisey chain.
Not that it matters, but the RV in question is a 2002 Kountry Star diesel pusher with a Cummins 5.9 24 Valve.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is your Inverter/Converter a combined unit or are they two individual separate devices?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Is your Inverter/Converter a combined unit or are they two individual separate devices?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2 separate devices
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a chance that the inverter does not power the converter circuit. I As I understand it my inverter runs the frige and the plugs on one side of the coach(meaning when it was wired they chose what it would power.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would bet that the converter is wired to its own separate circuit breaker that uses either direct shore power or generator power ONLY not inverter power. Therefore you can leave the converter CB on when using your inverter.

Most combo units are wired similarly where when hooked to shore power or have the generator running the inverter is in bypass mode which transfers 120 VAC directly through the device and into the coach plus it is using the charger portion of the device to keep your house batteries fully charged.

When using the inverter the converter and charger are disabled.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

If I leave the converter 20 AMP breaker in the "on" position, my inverter digital readout shows the total electrical draw to be close to the 2000 WATT max. If I turn the 20 AMP breaker to the "off" position, the digital readout drops down to 100-250 range.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
It's definitely feeding back, leave it off. The inverter may be aftermarket wired like ours which powers the whole coach.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post

If I leave the converter 20 AMP breaker in the "on" position, my inverter digital readout shows the total electrical draw to be close to the 2000 WATT max. If I turn the 20 AMP breaker to the "off" position, the digital readout drops down to 100-250 range.
Who did the installation and wiring for the converter? Something doesn't sound right.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Who did the installation and wiring for the converter? Something doesn't sound right.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I've owned this Kountry Star for 4 years. The 50 AMP system hasn't been touched since I've owned it. As to who did the install, I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
It's definitely feeding back, leave it off. The inverter may be aftermarket wired like ours which powers the whole coach.
The previous owner had 2 solar panels installed on the roof. It has a ProStar 15 solar monitoring system in the same compartment as the 50 AMP breaker box and the 12 V fuse panel. All are in the overhead cabinet above the bed on the curb side. Not sure how much of this was original factory install and what was after-market.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post

I've owned this Kountry Star for 4 years. The 50 AMP system hasn't been touched since I've owned it. As to who did the install, I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question.
Great!

So what has changed recently that may have caused this condition to occur? I am assuming that since you have owned the coach for the past 4 years this condition wasn't present when you first owned the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

As your system is not wired properly, you will have to switch the converter/charger off when you use the inverter. Switch the inverter off when you have shore or generator power. See an electrician when you get the opportunity and have things set right.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Great!

So what has changed recently that may have caused this condition to occur? I am assuming that since you have owned the coach for the past 4 years this condition wasn't present when you first owned the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
10 months ago, I replaced the 4 6V house bank and the 300 WATT inverter that was in the motorhome at the time of purchase. Due to the lack of capacity of the inverter, my choices were to just run the gen. set OR run a 50' extension cord from the inverter plug-in to the front of the motorhome to power the TV and Dish box. I purchased the 2000 WATT inverter, connected the RED and BLACK wires from the smaller inverter to the new inverter and that's when this "converter" situation came up.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
As your system is not wired properly, you will have to switch the converter/charger off when you use the inverter. Switch the inverter off when you have shore or generator power. See an electrician when you get the opportunity and have things set right.
Excellent advice! A qualified electrician has been added to my priority list.

Tags
converter, inverter