Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
RV Newbie - air "dumping" Newmar Kountry Star 3509

I am about to purchase a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star 36' diesel pusher (Model 3509). Specifications show outside height at 12'1". If I "dump the air", or put it "on the ground", what will the outside height be? I hope to store my new RV in a totally enclosed airplane hangar, but its doors only open to 11'9". I will also have to be able to dump the air, then move it 40' to get it into the hangar. Am I dreaming, or will this be a possibility? Never had a motorhome, just trailers.
thanks,
Cathy
cathjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathjasp View Post
I am about to purchase a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star 36' diesel pusher (Model 3509). Specifications show outside height at 12'1". If I "dump the air", or put it "on the ground", what will the outside height be? I hope to store my new RV in a totally enclosed airplane hangar, but its doors only open to 11'9". I will also have to be able to dump the air, then move it 40' to get it into the hangar. Am I dreaming, or will this be a possibility? Never had a motorhome, just trailers.
thanks,
Cathy
I don't think anyone would make a guess! You will have to fiscally take the measurement.. I would not trust the manf. specs as there are so many variables. Ie: tire pressure, types of shocks, etc. if you drive perfectly straight you will not have a problem, no turning as the drive tires will damage the wheel wells, fiberglass, or tires will be damaged. Be sure to measure from the highest roof top projection most likely the AC housing.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathjasp View Post
thanks,
Cathy
Hi Cathy and welcome to the forum. Is it possible to drive the RV to the storage hangar and just eyeball it? Sounds like it will be a very tight squeeze if it will go.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

If you just need a couple of inches more you might also consider airing down the tires a bit, drive it in and then restore pressure. Just don't forget to do the same when you drive back out
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
If you just need a couple of inches more you might also consider airing down the tires a bit, drive it in and then restore pressure. Just don't forget to do the same when you drive back out
Just what I was thinking. Dump the airbag first, then try to ease in. I would have somebody on the roof to eyeball the first time too make sure and talk by cell phone. If it is a little tall only then would I air down the tires. Sounds like it may go if your measurements or correct. Airbags on my semi trucks drop about 5 inches. Good luck!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Make sure there is no metal strip across the doorway floor you do not need a hick-up.

Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Over all height is 12' 1" verse 11' 9" might just make it..
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2003 Kountry Star 3905 hunkers between 3-4 inches when I dump the air when leveling. I am not sure how you would keep it low on chassis with engine running unless you hold the dump push button while moving it in the hanger. Careful with this one. Marshaller on top looking with good comm with you is the key to no hanger rash.... Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would suggest measuring the KSDP to confirm the 12'1" height.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Better look at your driveshaft angle when aiir dumped. May put your driveshaft in a bind and possible damage. I never move mine with air dumped 05 KSDP.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for answer. No. Not possible until I purchase it. It is 2000 miles away.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Thanks to all who answered. I guess I will start looking for another storage spot that can accommodate height without "dumping". This is a wonderful source for Newmar owners and "hope to be" owners!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #12

Another consideration when dumping your air and lowering your profile closer to your tires is.......don't turn wheels too sharp during travel they may scrape against your wheel wells and damage them.
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newmar