RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

RV Sunshade Company vs Magne Shade

I purchased a lot in a RV Resort that faces west and I'll likely need a shade on my drivers window and windshield. I will also get the tire covers.

I am trying to decide between RV Sunshade Company and Magne Shade.

The Magne Shade is a lot easier to put on and you do not need to drill into the body to install snaps (they use magnets.) I am not sure how the Magne Shade will handle the strong winds that we get here in SW Florida.

I think if I moved a lot, the Magne Shade would be a no brainer..... But I plan on staying on our lot for 8 to 9 months and then going up north for the summer. I would only be installing the shades a couple times a year and I would not remove them until I moved again. That makes the magnet much less of a big deal.

I carry and use a ladder whenever I travel, I use it whenever I need to get onto the roof or when I need to blow off the awning or reach high areas for cleaning. Installing the snap on shades would not be a big problem.

A Prevost that is parked two lots over from me uses the RV Sunshade Company product and he loves them (and they look good on his coach).

Thoughts?

John

BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

We have Magna shade and they handle high winds well. I can also move them easily to our next coach.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
John,

We have the Magna Shades and are completely happy with our purchase. First, the people working at Magna Shade are great to work with when purchasing. Second, they fit beautifully. Third, the magnets have held in 40 + mph winds in west Texas.

If you decide to buy Magna Shade... drop in to their shop in North Carolina and they will do all of the work for you. And, buy the flip shade for the interior driver and passenger side windows.... this is the best purchase we have made for our rig.

Best wishes and safe travels,
Rusty
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Buy what you like but...

Don't let winds scare you about Magne Shades. Winds would have to be very extreme to cause them to come off. Now, one caveat on that...If you have a lot of residue like wax on the windshield you could create a situation where you loose some of the friction that helps keep the Magne Shades in place but even that would have to be on the extreme side.

Only once have I had the windshield shade come partially off but that was in a micro-burst that flattened the corn field 20' from me and winds were in excess of 60 mph. I would be more worried that the snaps holding a cover might be ripped out vs the Magne Shades coming down. The worst case is that the cover damages the windshield wipers which I can replace. Ripped out snaps wold require some body work to fill in but that probably isn't that big of a deal either.

Personally, any system that keeps you off a ladder is the way to go. The hardest part with snap-on shades is the upper, middle snap's. It isn't worth the money saved if you fall off of a ladder.

I have Magne Shades and am happy with them. I am not as familiar with RV Sunshades so I can't really compare.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We spend about a month in the Outer Banks each year, and there is a lot of wind there. I’ve lost my magneshade once. It’s been exposed to a lot of different wind conditions without any problem, but this one time the wind speed and direction were just right to cause it to depart my windshield.

I think the greatest advantage of one over the other is the ease of installation and removal of a magneshade. If I was going to be in one place like you, I’d have no reservation about the sunshade. The only downside would be if your plans change and you end up moving around more than intended at this point.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleDs95
So from the other perspective.... I DO have snaps. They are easy to put up and take off until it comes time for the windshield and then I have to drag out the BIG ladder and I usually need help. The black shades on a black coach look beautiful but that has always been my one regret... Snaps rather than Magnets.

Oh, Mine were tailor made to fit my coach so not sure I would be moving them to another coach unless I bought the same Make & Model.
DoubleDs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I've only lost mine once in 3 years as well ... and that was almost hurricane strength wind, going just the right direction to get under it to make it come off. Found it easily on the ground. Put the magnets in the right place the first time, and you will have no problems.
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

I had a Prompt Sunshade on our previous coach. Worked great and looked great for the 12 years I had it.
We bought a new coach and decided to get a Magnashade. Works good, looks OK-- trends to slip a bit and wrinkle. The Prompt never did that plus the Prompt costs a fraction of the Magnashade.
Next time, I'll go back to a Prompt.
RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing
Old 01-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have RV sunshades on two coaches now and have had no issues other than hating to install because of the climbing. As coaches have gotten taller the harder they are to install without help. I have bought a new coach and will be putting magna-shades on.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #10

Another vote for the Magnashade. Took our CS the 45 miles to Mocksville NC for the install. They were a good group to work with. No high wind experiences with it to date. It fits and look great, goes on and removes very easily. I’m also trying to avoid ladders.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #11

Magnet mounts depend on wind direction. My travel buddy has them. Certain angled side winds blow them right off.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #12

I am looking to get a Magna Shade. They had sent me some info on measuring the inside. Do they just have a standard LADP set up for a 2017 model. I figured I could just tell them the model and go without measuring.

Thoughts?

G
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Magnet mounts depend on wind direction. My travel buddy has them. Certain angled side winds blow them right off.
"...Blows them right off." Based on my experience and friends with Mss I find that sounds a little over stated. I have seen lots of MS installations and talked to some owners. I've not heard this being a real problem. It should take a significant wind at the right angle to do this.

If your travel buddy is having problems he should get hold of MS to discuss this.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
I am looking to get a Magna Shade. They had sent me some info on measuring the inside. Do they just have a standard LADP set up for a 2017 model. I figured I could just tell them the model and go without measuring.

Thoughts?

G
I have a 2017 Canyon Star and ordered Magna Shades all around.

I thought the same thing as far as having the pattern in stock as it was not a new model design change but I was asked to measure and remeasure some places.

Now that I have them, they fit beautiful with no wind problems.

I guess the old saying, "Measure twice, cut once!" may come into play.

g

Indy Glenn is online now   Reply With Quote