RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Sad commentary

Today, on a journey from Columbia,SC to Maryland my 2006 mountain aire broke down, it lost all of itís coolant and flooded the service bays with 12 gallons of coolant. That unfortunately isnít the sadness. At least 45 motor coaches passed us and not one of them stopped to offer assistance. An elderly gentleman stopped and asked if he could be of assistance, but by then i was on my way to retrieve repair parts. And 3 or four of those coaches were newmar products. I have now a different outlook on the camaraderie of rverís today . I will not be one of those ď iím On my trip and i am not stoppingĒ
The reason my coach let me down was one of the coolant hoses to the Aquahot ruptured into the service bays and it lost all the coolant within 2 minutes.
We had trouble finding a mobile tech to help, sorry , weekend!
One mobile tech did call after he got back from an on road service but by that time I had figured out the issue and had gone to get parts, but he did ask us to call back and make sure we had the repairs done.. The positive is that i have now completed my coolant change.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Ian S.

Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

In contrast, I stopped my motorcycle on a rural road a couple of months back to take a picture of a sign that interested me. During the five minutes I sat there, three people stopped.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Being on the side of a road/highway does not always mean someone has broken down. At 55-65 mph its hard to tell and I always move left whenever I see any body on right shoulder ( car, motorcycle, rv, truck and ALL emergency vehicles) making it hard to get all the way back over and stop only to find out he had to pee. A couple of weeks ago in the middle of nowhere Montana I did stop for a truck camper that lost a tire on his trailer. I could safely stop and I could see he was in trouble. He waved me on that he was good, tow truck was on its way. Sorry for your troubles but sometimes it is not that easy or safe to stop.
Montauk NY
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

Without obvious indications that Vehicle is BROKE Down it is not conducive to stop for every vehicle on side of roadway.

Got flares/road triangles etc then good chance somebody will stop and ASK
Hood up/engine bay open....chances are somebody may stop

Just parked on side of road......NOPE.
Could be swapping drivers, could be potty break, could be leg stretching could be ANYTHING but no GOOD reason to pull off and create even more of a road hazard on the side of road.

SO what did you do to INFORM others you where 'broke down'?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Being on the side of a road/highway does not always mean someone has broken down. At 55-65 mph its hard to tell and I always move left whenever I see any body on right shoulder ( car, motorcycle, rv, truck and ALL emergency vehicles) making it hard to get all the way back over and stop only to find out he had to pee. A couple of weeks ago in the middle of nowhere Montana I did stop for a truck camper that lost a tire on his trailer. I could safely stop and I could see he was in trouble. He waved me on that he was good, tow truck was on its way. Sorry for your troubles but sometimes it is not that easy or safe to stop.
I agree! It is dicey when you have to make a split-second decision...and, do it safely. I will help whenever I can, but safety is at the top of my list.

TJ
Old 10-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

This is what Coachnet is for.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #7

All CMVs are required to have 3 reflective red triangles on board and the driver is required to deploy them at specified locations when stationary on or near a roadway.
I have them and used them last week when a collision disabled my coach near a busy intersection. I highly recommend every RVer carry them and learn where and when to deploy them. The information is easily available online in any state's CDL Driver's Manual.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I take a different view on folks stopping to see if I am ok. I donít believe anyone owes me camaraderie because I own a Newmar. Then when someone does stop I am elated.

So if no one stops it doesnít ruin my day. Just a glass half full approach.

I do stop for folks that look broken down, if I can safely do so, and they look like they are not just trying to save space in their black tank . But a lot of times I would cause a dangerous traffic hazard if I tried to pull over in.

So, to the OP; I suggest you convince yourself that all those folks that drove by really wanted to stop but could not safely do so. The folks I have met at rallies are these kind of folks so itís not a stretch to believe. Makes for a happier day.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
This is what Coachnet is for.

Are you pleased with Coach eat?
Festivus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

I will assume the OP was broke down on the side of an interstate highway. As a retired trooper I would hope that no other RVers would be silly enough to stop to check on him and create more of a hazard. If you want to help then as you pass him have your passenger get on the phone and call local authorities. Either the state police or county will send a squad car out to assist.

It takes time and space to slowly pull on and off the shoulder and should only be done in emergencies. In today's world chances are the broken down motorist has used their cell phone and has assistance on the way within 5 minutes of pulling over anyway.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

With flares and emergerncy flashers and engine compartment lid open.
Limey0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #12

I was a thinking the same thing.....
Old 10-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey0001 View Post
Today, on a journey from Columbia,SC to Maryland my 2006 mountain aire broke down, it lost all of itís coolant and flooded the service bays with 12 gallons of coolant. That unfortunately isnít the sadness. At least 45 motor coaches passed us and not one of them stopped to offer assistance. An elderly gentleman stopped and asked if he could be of assistance, but by then i was on my way to retrieve repair parts. And 3 or four of those coaches were newmar products. I have now a different outlook on the camaraderie of rverís today . I will not be one of those ď iím On my trip and i am not stoppingĒ
The reason my coach let me down was one of the coolant hoses to the Aquahot ruptured into the service bays and it lost all the coolant within 2 minutes.
We had trouble finding a mobile tech to help, sorry , weekend!
One mobile tech did call after he got back from an on road service but by that time I had figured out the issue and had gone to get parts, but he did ask us to call back and make sure we had the repairs done.. The positive is that i have now completed my coolant change.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Ian S.
A note on the Hose - In my Travel supreme that hose has ruptured probably four or more times - so often, that after the first time I now carry a pair of small flat Vice Grips to pinch off the line on each side of the rupture,so I can get off the road to Repair. - -

Added Note here, don't feel bad as I have never had anyone stop to help either. - -

But one more added note - if you had asked the fellow Newmar owners how to Operate the slide outs you would have likely had a line on the Interstate to explain.

Sorry could not pass that one up. -

Newmar still makes one of the Best, if not the Best, Production Coaches out there. -

Rant over.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Are you pleased with Coach eat?
I have been fortunate and not had to call Coachnet for any of my RV travels (excess of 60K miles and one trip to Alaska). I have used them 2 times for my car when battery died. Once in California and once in VA. Both times they were very responsive.