Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Safe-T-Plus High-Performance Steering Control

On our previous MH, a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 33ft gasser, we had the Safe-T-Plus 41-230 Blue High-Performance Steering Control and was extremely satisfied on how the coach handled. Our current MH is a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 4015 DP on a MM chassis. Would like input from anyone with the same/similar setup who has installed this on their coached and either whether you liked/disliked it.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #2

We have the Safe-T-Plus on our 04 Essex. We had a right front tire blow out and I think we were saved by it. Did over 20,000$ damage but had control all the time till we stopped. Had one on our 97 London Aire and never had a tire problem but still liked. Would put on any Newmar unit that didn't have Comfort Drive because not needed on that system.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I think what I have is called "comfort wheel". Don't believe I have the comfort drive on ours.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry I have no knowledge to help.
I too would be curious what system works well on our 05 KSDP with Spartan MM chassis equipped with Reyco Granning IFS center steering box.
Thanks for bringing up the question.

CoachC
Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All,
The Spartan MM chassis is a bear to find an active steering control product. I had the Howard Precision Steering System (HPSS) on my coach since 06. Excellent product. Unfortunately, it broke and the company went out of business many years ago. The only other product I can find that allows the driver to re-center the product, while driving, is the Blue Ox Tru-Center. I had the front axle modifications made for the HPSS product. The Tru-Center will fit the HPSS brackets! Amazing but true. The Blue Ox factory will not touch the installation because they say they will mount the cylinder only using their brackets. North Trail RV says the same thing. Right now I'm a bit frustrated as I'm unable to install the product myself.

I do not want a passive system like the Safe-T-Plus. Being able to re-center the product, while driving, is very important to me. If anyone knows if the Blue Ox Product has been installed on a Spartan MM Chassis, please post here or let me know.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary,
I don't know if you have the standard 12.6K front axle, but I do. I tried to get Tru-Center installed, but mine has the steering box in the center and that is the issue. I talked to Safe-T-Plus and they are the same, except they are working on a fix for the center steering box. I have been waiting to hear back from them as to when it will be available. There is a third-party centering kit for the Safe-T-Plus.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Hendersons Lineup in OR have developed a control unit for the safe t plus.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mikelm48,
Yep, I know about the center steering box issue. I have taken care of that issue when the steering box was altered for the HPSS. Blue Ox is just giving me the "corporate standard answer". I need a couple more questions answered about the stroke of the piston. If I can get these numbers and they meet the needs of my coach; I just might buy the device myself and work on installing it, over time.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CoreyinWP,
I know about the Henderson unit for the Safe-T-Plus. Safety-T-Plus has the same problem with the Mountain Master chassis that Blue Ox does. However, Henderson's does seem to be more customer focused than Blue Ox. Maybe a trip to Oregon might just solve the problem. Any excuse for a trip.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #10

Safe t plus made a bracket for my mm ifs at the factory....it is my understanding Henderson will fabricate the trim mechanism for it as well....as a special order. They will be in Perry.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CoreyinWP,
This is good to know about Safe-T-Plus and Henderson. I will investigate.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I think what I have is called "comfort wheel". Don't believe I have the comfort drive on ours.
You should have Smart steering wheel. The lights wipers etc controls are on the wheel. Comfort drive was not put on DS until 2008.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

I had one on my 31' gasser, but have never needed on on my DS in 13yrs & 93K miles.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering