RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Sales Switch ?

When the salesman switch is off, is there still power to the inverter?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Yes. At least on the Dutch Stars, the inverter is wired directly to the batteries, and bypasses all switches.

CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

My inverter is used solely for powering the front socket that powers the TV. Flipped the battery disconnect and just about everything that used 12v quit. Pressed the inverter button, and I could power on the TV.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I think to turn off inverter, you use the inverter control panel and push the off button. I don't know for sure, since I have Silverleaf on present coach and I just use the Control Panel for that and one choice is inverter off. I then turn off master switches and that kills all the power to everything. As an added measure, I can turn off the inverter breaker, and the general purpose #1 breaker, which also takes out the front TV stuff. Then I know for sure the inverter is off.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Yes--- I found out the hard way. I had thought that turning off the salesman switch would also turn off the inverter. Went back a day or two later and the batteries were pretty much depleted.
I found you need to turn off the inverter at the control panel, then turn off the salesman switch. If you turn off the salesman switch first, it stops communication with the inverter, so whatever state it is in when you hit the salesman switch, that's the state it stays in.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Toltec,
My coach is an 05 and when the switch is pressed to store (use/store switch) the inverter go's off.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Toltec,
My coach is an 05 and when the switch is pressed to store (use/store switch) the inverter go's off.
That's a rare thing.
Most battery disconnect, latching relays, are only rated for 60 to 80 amps.

A 1000 watt inverter draws way over that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi twinboat,
Your assumption about the size of my inverter is incorrect. My inverter is 600 WATTS. Or about 5 AMPS. The breaker on the inverter is only 7 AMPS.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi twinboat,
Your assumption about the size of my inverter is incorrect. My inverter is 600 WATTS. Or about 5 AMPS. The breaker on the inverter is only 7 AMPS.
I didnt assume you had a 1000 watt inverter.

I said that your inverter being controlled by battery disconnect is rare.

I gave an example of a 1000 watt inverter, as a guess, because its a popular, small inverter used by many RVers.

Even your 600 Watt inverter is capable of drawing 50 amps, 12 volt DC, at full output.

With a 7 amp AC breaker, the surge rating could be up to 750 watts or 75 amps, 12 volt DC.

You may be right at the limit of your battery disconnect solenoid, without adding the other 12 volt house loads.

If your only watching TV with it, then it don't matter. The amp draw will be much less.

Running any inverter drawing more then 30 to 40 amps is probably best done connected directly to the batteries with an appropriate sized fuse, and disconnect if wanted.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toltec,

I would take a peak in the "Black Bag" to see if Newmar included the Fuse/Breaker handout for your coach. My 2016 came with a six page handout showing the location of mostly all the 12v systems fuses/breakers. There are of course hidden inline fuse holders here and there not documented.

The cord reel bay on our coach is where the physical house disconnect relay is located on our coach...there are some fuses/dc breakers that are "constant battery power" and some that are "disconnect battery power" the disconnect ones are what gets shut down with the switch. Two 40a breakers in the reel bay that are disconnect powered feed the 1/2 bath fuse panel circuits...so those all get turned off. That's the majority of what the relay does. Most of the other circuits shown are chassis powered.

Our MS2812 powered directly from the house battery bank thru a 350A T fuse...so it isn't powered via the house disconnect relay at all.

Anyway...I find it very very informative to look at this list...especially the ones that are constant battery powered...to see what's left ON.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

OK, I’m going to demonstrate my ignorance now. I think I’m the only one who doesn’t know what a “salesman switch” is, any help?
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjos View Post
OK, I’m going to demonstrate my ignorance now. I think I’m the only one who doesn’t know what a “salesman switch” is, any help?
I believe the switch is most recently installed on the passengers side control pedastle...to make it easy to hit from the entry door. You can look at it like a house master switch... If you didn't want to take the time to sort thru switching items off when leaving...it turns off the majority in one fell swoop.

Honestly, I hardly ever use it...but if you have a lot full of rvs...and they don't have shore power connected, it's an easy way for salespersons to shut things off when done showing a coach. I use it when I'm about to pull my batteries out for cleaning and touching up the battery tray. I can use it as a roundabout method of rebooting the bluetooth in my SeeLevel II gauge (aftermarket item).

Tags
sale, switch