Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #1

I have a 2001 Dutch Star (new to me), I want to sanitize my fresh water system. The owners manual is OK but I want to make sure I do this right. My questions are, how much bleach solution do I need for a 115 gallon tank? Do I fill the tank with water in addition to the sanitizing solution or is the solution all I should pump into the tank? The manual says to flush the tank after 4 hours, does this mean fill the tank and then drain it? I understand I should make sure the solution flows to all the faucets. Any tips on this procedure would be greatly appreciated. I've never done this before, I'ts our first motorhome, Thanks!
davidnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #2

I have a 2001 Dutch Star (new to me), I want to sanitize my fresh water system. The owners manual is OK but I want to make sure I do this right. My questions are, how much bleach solution do I need for a 115 gallon tank? Do I fill the tank with water in addition to the sanitizing solution or is the solution all I should pump into the tank? The manual says to flush the tank after 4 hours, does this mean fill the tank and then drain it? I understand I should make sure the solution flows to all the faucets. Any tips on this procedure would be greatly appreciated. I've never done this before, I'ts our first motorhome, Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #3

The RVIA recommends 1 1/2 oz. bleach to 10 gals. water. 115 gals. water would require 17.25 ozs. bleach. This is only if you completely fill the fresh water tank. Since the MH is new to you, I would sanitize both the tank and system. The required contact time is 4 hours to assure a complete kill of all bacteria. If you only partially fill the tank, the bleach will only sanitize the portion of the tank that is covered by the bleach solution. If you only want to sanitize the pipes, prepare the bleach solution using the 1 1/2-10 ratio in a clean container and use the winterizing hose and water pump to fill the pipes. Let stand for 4 hours and drain. Once drained flush with clean water and follow up with a baking soda solution if you want to reduce the bleach smell. Also, if you have a water filter, remove the cartridge before sanitizing
Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi David,
Once you are comfortable with your water system, consider purchasing TastePure Drinking Water Freshener made by CAMCO. The instructions on how to use it are clear and printed on the side of the bottle. The bottom line is all one does is add 2 cap fulls of TastePure to the fresh water tank for every 20 gallons. Then fill the tank. That's it. There is nothing else to do. Google "tastepure drinking water freshener" to find places to purchase the product.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
davidnrose welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Congrats on your new to you DSDP
Lots of good avice here for you enjoy your MH many safe miles and do post often.
When your in need of some KARMA just let me know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the help with sanitizing my water tank. I guess I just needed a little karma, everything went well. This forum is really great!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now your all set.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #8

For those who prefer not to mess with bleach there are two alternatives. Thetford water tank sanitizer and Sodium Dichlor found at the bottom of the page.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the links Ray, will come in handy for some locations on the forums.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #10

Rather than play the guessing game as to how much chlorine is in my system or how fresh it is, I test it. Head to an aquarium store and buy chlorine test strips for a couple bucks. These measure chlorine concentrations in parts per million (ppm).

For system disinfecting it seems desirable to achieve a 4.0ppm to 5.0ppm level for a contact time of several hours. Remember, too much chlorine can damage plumbing.

For those that dose their drinking water (or fill from unknown sources), it seems drinking chlorine levels in the 0.2ppm to 0.5ppm are typical (for tap water) though this varies greatly throughout the country. Conduct you own trials to make sure.

The test strips tell me exactly what is in my tank - no guessing on this important topic.