Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #1

Satellite Install 2014 DS

For those who installed your own dish with a satellite prep, where did you find your sat cable for the rear bedroom? I know it has to have its own receiver, and the cable is there in the bedroom cabinet. I drilled the hole where indicated for the satellite prep (it was off by about 2"!) and found the conduit. I was finally able to get the power and cable ran to the front cabinet, but now need to find the other cable to know where to mount the swm splitter.

TIA,
Lloyd

BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

I found my rear cable tucked in beside the conduit. It was difficult to locate and had to expand the access a little to find.

Jay

Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet618 View Post
I found my rear cable tucked in beside the conduit. It was difficult to locate and had to expand the access a little to find. Jay
Thanks, Vet618. Did you put a splitter on the roof, or did you put a union on the cable and run it to the front cabinet? I barely got two cables down the pipe, can't imagine getting another down. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

There should be a second cable already strung to the bedroom. You cannot split DTV cables, so you must have a dedicated to each TV.

You didn't say what type of sat. antenna you are using which may have some determination on how you need to config. the wiring.

I agree you would have a very difficult time pulling anymore than 2 wires through the small forward conduit. That is a tough job just to get the single coax and a control wire through.

Give me a little more info. on brand and model of your sat. and I will see if I can provide more help.

Jay
Old 04-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet618 View Post
There should be a second cable already strung to the bedroom. You cannot split DTV cables, so you must have a dedicated to each TV. You didn't say what type of sat. antenna you are using which may have some determination on how you need to config. the wiring. I agree you would have a very difficult time pulling anymore than 2 wires through the small forward conduit. That is a tough job just to get the single coax and a control wire through. Give me a little more info. on brand and model of your sat. and I will see if I can provide more help. Jay
I just got off the phone with Bishop in customer service, and apparently I didn't get the sat prep option. He said my satellite cable from the bedroom could be found in the shore power compartment. I'll be heading out shortly to check it out.

I am installing a Winegard SWM-3 antenna, and using a Genie and Genie Mini as my receivers. I have the control cable and coax from the antenna ran to the front compartment. I will run an additional cable from the shore power compartment along the frame rail to the front of the coach, then up the A-pillar to the front compartment. I will attach the power inserter to the cable coming from the antenna, and also to the power in port on the SWM splitter. I will then I will attach both cables from the receiver locations to the SWM splitter. I have more room in the bedroom cabinet than the front cabinet. Would it be a problem to put the genie in the back, and the mini up front?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Can you use the wireless Genie? I have purchased the Winegard and am waiting to install it when we get home. My 07 mh is wired with coax and that is my best solution.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

Without sat. prep cable would not be on roof as Newmar told you. I should have asked you that question.

I would install the main Genie in the front compartment with the dish control head. That is my preference but I see no reason you could not switch them around.

Do make sure there is not any type of splitter on the outside line. I have seen many wiring scenarios with sat. cables in RV's.

I have not personally tried the wireless Genie in an RV so maybe others that have could chime in.

Jay
Old 04-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Checked the shore power compartment, no cable. I found where two cables come out of (or into?) the slide in the pass through compartment. One is marked "ANT", the other has no markings, but does have 3 distinct wraps of electrical tape. Called Newmar again to see what the super secret tape code was, but no joy. Bishop said he would try to make it out to the production line on Monday and see what he can find out. These are the only RG6 cables I can find coming from the slide. I borrowed a toner to check the cable, and am unable to locate the line with the super secret tape markings. I thought it might be for the cable from the power bay, but it goes towards the passenger side with the antenna cable.

On the bright side, the install was otherwise successful! Will be watching the race tonight in HD! Woo hoo!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #9

I am at the race in Texas & the finish was exciting, the weather isn't cooperating (suppose to rain Sunday).
Hope you got to watch it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I am at the race in Texas & the finish was exciting, the weather isn't cooperating (suppose to rain Sunday). Hope you got to watch it.
I'm about 3 1/2 hours north of you, just north of OKC. We did get to watch the race in beautiful HD! The aunt and uncle of my wife are down there working the race. They full time in a 2005 Kountry Star, and are the souls who led us to Newmar.