Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #1

Satellite question for the experts

Haven't gone through the walk through yet which I'm sure will answer this, but thought I'd get a head start. The DS I am about to pick up has listed on the option sheet:
Winegard RTT-40B motion sat, and a Winegard SKM-100. The dealer said one is for viewing while traveling and the other is strictly for HD when parked. Not being a "satellite" person (we have cable at home), I have no idea how, what, or why it has two dishes. I've done a search on line and can find the 40b, which is covered with a dome, but not the SKM although I believe the latter is a power lift standard looking dish. Also, is either one only compatible with either dish or direct tv, or can they be configured to accept either service?
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

40B is in motion, SKM is HD. And yes they can both be rigged up for DISH or DirecTV.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

But, it is not that simple...

The RTT 40b is known as the "Roadtrip" and can be HD capable with Dishnetwork.
The SKW100 is known as the Trav'ler...see:
RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas

If getting both, you will want to communicate about which service provider you want (Dish or DirecTV), because the Roadtrip works with either provider's system (SAT receivers) by setting some dip switches, but the Trav'ler must be set-up for one or the other (this is a hardware change).
DISH Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping and Tailgating
And
DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I suggest going to the Winegard website to see some of the pictures, but in summary the SKM-100, or Trav'ler, is raised when you park and points to the various satellites required for HD (especially Directv, which generally requires 3 satellites). For the In-motion everything sits inside a "dome" and can be used while travelling (SD only for DirecTV). While either can be purchased for DirecTV or Dish, once selected that's the provider you're stuck with. I'm only really familiar with the DirecTV Trav'ler, which I have on my coach. Quite satisfied, but then I would only accept HD, while others are alright with SD. You do require a fairly clear view of the southern sky, and I've heard the In-motion (which generally only needs to see 1 satellite) does a bit better with trees.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Thanks all, I'll have to get to know the sat services differences. I always said I'd never need sat service, but now that the coach has it, (coach was already optioned out with it) I'll probably end up with it. Better for resale they tell me...
Old 11-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Thanks all, I'll have to get to know the sat services differences. I always said I'd never need sat service, but now that the coach has it, (coach was already optioned out with it) I'll probably end up with it. Better for resale they tell me...
Dish has an rv plan that you can start and stop the service. I have Dish at home, when I leave for the winter I carry my receivers out to rv. Since I have the Trav'ler SK1000 I get HD and have mine set up for 3 different channels with dvr. If I end up in trees with no reception I have the recorded favorites to watch.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

what I didn't know and the dealer didn't tell me was that with the in-motion Winegard(I have the mission) you can only watch one satellite at a time as it must just have one LNB where as the Trav'ler has 3 and you can watch multiple tv's on different channels on different satellite as you do at home. I spoke in length with the Winegard rep a few days ago and she told me you have a primary tv and that tv/receiver kinda dictates what you can watch. I am considering buying the Trav'ler and having both which I think I can swap back and forth with an AB switch. With the in-motion type you will get one satellite at a time and it switches satellites as you change channels...almost instantly. Also this is ok for in-motion as you will probably have only one tv on while going down the highway. I hope this helps I didn't hi-jack the thread!??
Steve Dagro
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab0088 View Post

But, it is not that simple...

The rtt 40b is known as the "roadtrip" and can be hd capable with dishnetwork.
The skw100 is known as the trav'ler...see:
rv antenna - winegard roof mounted rv satellite antennas

if getting both, you will want to communicate about which service provider you want (dish or directv), because the roadtrip works with either provider's system (sat receivers) by setting some dip switches, but the trav'ler must be set-up for one or the other (this is a hardware change).
dish compatible satellite antennas for rv, camping and tailgating

and
directv compatible satellite antennas for rv, camping, tailgating

best luck
great info
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I have had both types of dish and I can tell you that the Travlr gets far superior reception. Dome-type dishes suffer signal disruptions do to moderate rain and morning dew which lays on to of the dome and blocks the signal.

If you are tempted to use both dishes be aware that the receiver has to be set up for the type of dish it is attached to and if you are going to be switching between dishes each receiver will need to be set up again at each switch over. Unless you are planning to watch TV while driving I would ignore the dome and use the Travlr only. It has many advantages: The above mentioned signal superiority, the ability to watch or record programs on multiple satellites simultaneously, and the ability to get HD signals in DirecTV. The dome can do none of these things.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #10

Well, I have the coach set up in the back yard and subscribed to Dish by the month so I can turn it on when traveling. I have played with the dishes, and usually just use the dome while at home. The coach came with an A/B switch, and when both dishes are powered on, I can switch between them pretty seamlessly. The service is not on now, but I'm thinking of renewing it as the DW and I usually spend a few hours out back in the RV after she gets home from work. I think we spend more time out in the coach than we do in the house. The coach is nicer!......

Tags
satellite