RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #1

I seem to remember on this (or another forum) someone mounted their satellite radio antenna in the overhead compartment above the driver's seat, directly under the fiberglass roof. I have bought a XM receiver and would prefer not to drill through the roof if I don't have to. I'm curious if the antenna is able to pickup the signal through the roof or not. I would think it would work, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

TIA

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #2

I seem to remember on this (or another forum) someone mounted their satellite radio antenna in the overhead compartment above the driver's seat, directly under the fiberglass roof. I have bought a XM receiver and would prefer not to drill through the roof if I don't have to. I'm curious if the antenna is able to pickup the signal through the roof or not. I would think it would work, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

TIA

Jack

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Jack,
HERE is what I found....should help you!

If you click on "find" and type in satellite antenna,then REMOVE the check mark for "search this forum only", you will have much more to choose from,if the above link doesn't give you an answer...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack,
I have attached my XM radio antenna directly to the underside of the front fiberglass cap on my moho and it works wonderfully. I gained access to this area by removing my overhead TV. Before I did this I checked with the manufacturer, AudioVox, and they said that so long as the antenna was not beneath anything metal it would work. I was sceptical but, they were right - it works great. Best of all it was no fuss, no muss and no holes.
Cancuk

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

Canuck

Did you attach the antenna directly to the underside of the roof? Also, if you consider the way it would normally sit if it was mounted outside on the roof, would you say it's inverted where you mounted it? And lastly, what did you use to secure it to the place you mounted it?

Thanks a lot

Jack

Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #6

Jack, I attached my antanna to the horiz bar holding my mirror with a tie wrap(Black one) and it has worked great. You can't even see it is there and ran the wires in with the CB cable.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #7

Mine sits in the overhead cabinet-works great!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack,
You asked "Did you attach the antenna directly to the underside of the roof? Also, if you consider the way it would normally sit if it was mounted outside on the roof, would you say it's inverted where you mounted it? And lastly, what did you use to secure it to the place you mounted it?"

Yes, I did attach it directly to the underside of the roof. I mounted it so that it was oriented as if it were sitting on the surface of the roof, in other words, the flat side is down and the curved side is up (towards the sky). The antenna seems to be quite directional. I actually tried it witht he flat side up and did not get any reception. I held it in place with man's best friend - duct tape. As you know it's quite light so the duct tape works well.
Canuck

Old 06-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #9

Canuck

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to give it a try later this week and I'll let everyone know the results.

Jack

Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #10

As a followup to my original message, today I mounted my XM satellite antenna above the drivers seat in the overhead compartment. I took out a piece of panel in the compartment and was able to place it on a brace about four inches below the bottom of the roof. The end result is that it seems like it's going to work fine. The rig is still in my storage unit which has steel walls and an aluminum door. The roof is standard wood and shingles. I had a weak signal, but it held fine for about four hours. The rig was facing directly west at the time. It'll be interesting to see how well it works when I'm driving north because that will be the worst case scenario.

Take care & thanks again for all the responses.

Jack

Old 07-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #11

As a final followup, I just got back from about a 100 mile trip. The radio had a strong signal in every direction I traveled. Including North. This installation has worked out very well and I'm satisfied with the results. I'm particularly happy I didn't have to penetrate the roof at all.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jack

Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jack,
I'm glad to hear the your instal worked out well. Now you can listen to that good ol' rock 'n roll as you put on the miles.
Cancuk