Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Lug Nut, can you post the procedures for putting the sat to sleep when parked?

I will post the update procedure once I've done it for the first time. I do have an official log-on id an PW.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Lug Nut, can you post the procedures for putting the sat to sleep when parked?

I will post the update procedure once I've done it for the first time. I do have an official log-on id an PW.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #3

Sure Scott. For the KVH R6 and I believe R5 the control box and antenna must be on to watch TV, unlike the L3 and previous models. Now the problem with the new versions is because of constant peaking causing slight movement all the time it is on, you should not leave it on 24/7. As turning off the box all the time would be a pain, especially at night while watching TV in the bedroom, the box must be programmed to sleep once it gets the signal providing no movement happens. They are defaulted to on all the time. To put it in sleep mode do the following.

Using a laptop and a standard serial cable (9 pin RS232) plug into the rear righthand port (looking at rear of box) (there are two ports on the R6 and maybe the R5 also) and the other to the laptop with the box turned off. Bring up Windows Hyper Terminal (go to programs then Accessories then Communication and open new. connection. Name it Sat.

Configuration

Bits 9600
Data Bits 8
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Flow None

Turn on box. Data will stream on screen. Type "HALT" Type "DEBUGON" Type "SLEEP"
It should start streaming again, if not just type "ZAP"

Your unit is now sleep enabled. It will sleep once it is on sat and will awake if there is movement or command for another sat. It will remain in this state forever unless you reprogram it differently.

Hope this is of help.

Peter
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #4

Hi Peter! Your wealth of knowledge is unbelievable When I talked to KVH last week, they told me the sleep mode was a default setting. I knew better based on what you said a few weeks ago. Thanks for the info on how to flash the unit. Paul
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #5

Well it's funny, my R6 I could hear steadily peaking non-stop. When I called KVH I ask them how the dish would survive peaking non-stop 24/7 when my coach is in Florida parked for a few months. They said it wouldn't and need to be programmed to sleep. So it wasn't set default in mine. Once it is done it stays that way. Mine works good now and does not continue to peak but remains quiet.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:02 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hear steadily peaking non-stop </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Peter! Exactly what mine does all the time. I think the KVH tech was in the so called default mode when I called. I need to get on the road so I will deal with this in a few days. Paul