Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #1

Save a step

We stay parked for long periods of time and I'm looking for a way to take the give out of the steps when we go in and out of the coach. Does anyone use the save a step brace and if so do you use one in the middle of the bottom step or two, one to each side of the bottom step? How has it worked out for you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When we are set up for a long period or the Grandkids are with us, I use the step saver. I place it in the middle. I carry a couple of small 1x3 to use if needed, depending on the ground, levelness and the height.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I place my brace a bit to the rear of center. Based on door swing and the way we exit, that's about where we step.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use one however.... MY JACKS DO NOT WORK so there is no danger of a jack failing and lowering the steps to the ground.....

(I level with planks.. The jacks then help stabilize,but they will not lift more than what I do when I shove the step saver under)

Works well.

NOTE:this same logic (What happens if a jack fails) Applies to slide out supports....and....I have seen the answer (Thankfully NOT my Rig)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can buy one of the new self leveling steps that Newmar is installing as an option....they're only about $1300.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Save a step

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
We stay parked for long periods of time and I'm looking for a way to take the give out of the steps when we go in and out of the coach. Does anyone use the save a step brace and if so do you use one in the middle of the bottom step or two, one to each side of the bottom step? How has it worked out for you?

Hello "maneddi"

I have been using a far less expensive method for stabilizing our entry steps since 2011 which really works. My DW and I appreciate the stability of steps using this device. I recommend that you use two of them either vertically or horizontally in each corner of your lowest step depending upon the distance between that step and the ground. Adjustments are easy to make. I hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427001680.314303.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	89219
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is another option. We have one frequent guest who is quite heavy. I cringe when I see the strain on the steps. When we are in our primary spot of extended periods I use a fiberglass dock step I purchased from West Marine. I retract the steps and then pull the fuse so I know they can't come out, then place the setp in front of the door. The step is just the right size and very stable. When we hit the road I just stow the step and reinsert the fuse.
waltdews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hello "waltdews",

The stabilizer is rated for 1000 pounds. If you use one in each corner of the step this should cover up to 2000 pounds. I hope your friend is lighter than that! 😱
Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only concern I have for these kinds of devices is if the jacks fail or very slowly let down a bit. If that was to happen the damage to the steps could be real fun to fix.

It hasn't happened to me but...
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The only concern I have for these kinds of devices is if the jacks fail or very slowly let down a bit. If that was to happen the damage to the steps could be real fun to fix.

It hasn't happened to me but...

Hello "Sky_Boss",

This stabilizer IS NOT A "JACK" as you have assumed. In order to raise or lower the stabilizer one must twist or screw one end clockwise or counterclockwise. Therefore this negates your concerns that it may fail due to "slowly [letting] down a bit." If anyone orders it from Amazon and finds that it dose not work as advertised, it can always be returned. This one is rated for 5000 pounds which can be used for other purposes. This is the last I will say about it, because it has never failed since my 2011 purchase. As a way of disclaimer, I have no financial interest in this product.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427272026.812073.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	89500
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2479915
Hello "Sky_Boss",

This stabilizer IS NOT A "JACK" as you have assumed. In order to raise or lower the stabilizer one must twist or screw one end clockwise or counterclockwise. Therefore this negates your concerns that it may fail due to "slowly [letting] down a bit." If anyone orders it from Amazon and finds that it dose not work as advertised, it can always be returned. This one is rated for 5000 pounds which can be used for other purposes. This is the last I will say about it, because it has never failed since my 2011 purchase. As a way of disclaimer, I have no financial interest in this product.
Attachment 89500
RV4Me4Life-- I think the concern is that if the jacks on the coach should lower/settle, the weight of the coach is put on the steps and the stabilizer, the steps will likely loose that battle.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
RV4Me4Life-- I think the concern is that if the jacks on the coach should lower/settle, the weight of the coach is put on the steps and the stabilizer, the steps will likely loose that battle.
Yep...that was what I was trying to say.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

Hello "PanJH"

Your "concern is that is the jack on the coach should lower/settle, the weight of the coach"... This is unfounded.
The JACK IS NOT ON THE COACH. The photograph below explains my point. You could put a brick, or a wood block, or use the stabilizer or something else. Somebody out there in iRV2 land probably understands what I'm expressing once they see the photo below. Now I am really finished with this thread. My case rests!

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427295040.101308.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	89516
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
If the step saver is placed under the entry step and the motorhome "leveling jack or jacks" fail or retract, then the motorhome will settle and the "step saver" under the entry step will not allow the entry step to settle along with the motorhome. I had this happen with our old HR. the step was not real sturdy and I had placed a block under the step for support. I retracted the jacks for some reason MH dropped about 4 inches, steps didn't and ruined the steps. It was an expensive lesson.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote