RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #1

Scam warning

It tis the season for scams to be on the rise, so be very careful. I had advertised a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C surge protector on the classified section of IRV. I received a very legit looking email yesterday inquiring about the unit for sale. I did respond that it was still for sale. I received another email today, except this time there were grammatical errors, statements about their shipper would handle pickup because they were very busy, the pickup would be after the check had cleared, and they would even pay all cost of handling. BTW, I did a search on the name given and it was a member on the forum with a Bay Star. I will send the member a private message to inform him that this had happened and maybe he had been hacked. So beware the scammers are on this site too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You said you 'will' send the member an email suggesting you haven't contacted them yet. Perhaps it is a legitimate reply and not a scam.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
You said you 'will' send the member an email suggesting you haven't contacted them yet. Perhaps it is a legitimate reply and not a scam.
This is the email I received, you can make your own decision, I've made mine.

"I am okay with the Terms and Condition of sale as seen on the advert including Your Final asking Price as Stated.I have gone through the content of the advert once again am very satisfy.Payment will be made out via a Check which will be issue to you for the payment and pick up will be arrange after the Check is Fully Cleared by your Bank.I will not be able to come over to view it because i'm always busy at work but i believe that all the details of the advert are right and will want update about the Service History. You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My Shipper will take care of pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is Cleared by your Bank. let me know if there is any other miscellaneous payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to it.Transportation and maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount that will be issued on the Check. it will be used By My shipper who will be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash available for use.My shipper is the one that will act on my behalf regards the documentation of the change of ownership so any signation will be sign by my shipper pick up and other all necessary detail information will be fill by shipper so don't worry yourself about the change of ownership documentation will be taken care by my shipper.Get Back to me with information listed below in order to make out the Check and payment will be issued and send via first class Mail"
Old 11-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree, scam.

I think one of us would have said something more like
'Hey 60, I want that, consider it sold! Give me a shout so we can work out the detail. I'm out of town right now, but we can work out something'
Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems to me if the check clears and you have the full payment you're obligated to hand over the item. Isn't that what the email says?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Or simply say “sorry, cash only”, or more directly; get lost!
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do whatever you like. Its your sale.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Do whatever you like. Its your sale.
I am not here to debate the point. No check has changed hands and I did not give them the information they wanted. I posted as a warning to others on the forum. There was never a sale.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #9

Wayne, You are doing they right thing. Forget Them!!!! I had the same thing they would send a check with extra monies, Just wanted my full name and address so they could send the check. What they are looking for is your correct mailing address so they can open New CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS IN YOUR NAME!!!! Round File That Email
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #10

Its a scam and like 1doodadd said if he plays it out a little farther they will say they are sending a check for more than the amount and if they would cash it and send the cash back as well or something sketchy like that. Ive trolled a few of them when I had nothing better to do. haha Its even more fun if you sound all excited about their awesome idea.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

What they are trying to obtain is your bank account information! Then that is used to rob you!
The big tip-off is "the shipper will handle everything after"
I have had a few of these hit my email accounts. The "incorrect grammar" is very similar to that in a bunch of scams originating in India. I have read that an increased number of scams are coming from there as more US businesses and banks have farmed out (exported) their services overseas.
No shipper is going to or even legally handle all the documentation.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I am dealing with similar situation now selling a car. Getting all kinds of same type emails from all over the country. Working a cash deal now and even it will be finalized at bank.
Checks very easy to forge and may clear bank initially but then be rejected later.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's the exact wording of the typical scammer!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
I am not here to debate the point. No check has changed hands and I did not give them the information they wanted. I posted as a warning to others on the forum. There was never a sale.
Wayne...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! Totally a scam...no kidding, I've seen this type of wording before on scams I've seen. Looking at some of the responses, it certainly appears that it would work with "some folks".

If I was making the purchase I'd word my response pretty much the way I saw it here....very simple..."I'll take it...give me a jingle"

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote