Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Scan gauge potential info

I understand that a Scan gauge can provide a variety of information from an engine. My question is how can I find out the information available to the gauge from my Cummins 350 ISC in a 2001 Mountain Aire in a Spartan chassis.
The engine number reflects a 1999 build date. I would like EGT, and boost, but would it be best just to purchase separate gauges or can a Scan gauge indicate that info? Thanks any thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am in the same boat with my Coach, Spartan did not install these items on mine also, so I would think installing the guage kits for these readings would have to be done. Do a search on here as I have seen threads on this same subject and photos and posts from folks that have also installed these items and the locations to install them in. I figure that mine did not come with it and it is 13 years old now and never needed them and the biggest reason is I would just be staring at them all the time like I do my coolant guage and transmission temp. , Two is enough........
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many have been install on gas chassis's not so much on the DP's because they usually have the gauges.
But one was mentioned Scan Gauge D for a DP couch.
From one of out sponsors RV Upgrades.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Here is one thread on one of your questions: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/egt-...ml#post1491492
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Exhaust Gas temperature gauge is pretty handy to have in my mind if you have a diesel. Newer (my last one was a 1990) had on installed and combined with a boost gauge it pretty much told the story. Newer rigs with smart electronic control modules have automatic (sort of) limiting of fuel and control the fuel air mix, when everything is working.

I posted the question because when a diesel mechanic I trust looked at my newly purchased MH he looked at the exhaust manifold and immediately suggested that I change the air filter. Starving for air and high EGT's may have discolored the manifold, was his thought.
Turned out the filter had not been changed since 2005 and was quite restricted.
An EGT temp reading over over about *1300 can be a problem over time.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the tidbits.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
With edit :
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Exhaust Gas temperature gauge is pretty handy to have in my mind if you have a diesel. My last one was a 1990 and had one installed and combined with a boost gauge it pretty much told the story. Newer rigs with smart electronic control modules have automatic (sort of) limiting of fuel and control the fuel air mix, when everything is working.

I posted the question because when a diesel mechanic I trust looked at my newly purchased MH he looked at the exhaust manifold and immediately suggested that I change the air filter. Starving for air and high EGT's may have discolored the manifold, was his thought.
Turned out the filter had not been changed since 2005 and was quite restricted.
An EGT temp reading over over about *1300 can be a problem over time.

Thanks for the replies.