RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Scratch in Rig

I put a long scratch in the rig today. Brushed up against a tree. It looks as though it is only in the clear coat. I have an Auto Spa buffer but would like some input on whats might be best to get the scratch out and not hurt any paint.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

Try some polishing compound (not rubbing). Go at it easy with a wet cloth. Many times its just a mark left from rubbing not really a scratch.

Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I always start with wax and work it with an electric buffer. If that doesn't do it, I go to a correction glaze. If that doesn't do it, I'll go to a buffing compound okay for clear coat.

Here's the secret.....if you were to start with a compound, you might get it out immediately, but overdo it and dull the paint. I prefer to use the least abrasive and go over it numerous times until it's obvious that it's not working, then move to he next level and try again. So......I would rather buff it 30 times with wax than one time with an abrasive to keep from making a mistake.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

Post a picture for more accurate diagnosis.
Lots of variations when someone says "a scratch".
Old 10-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #5

Gone, mostly

Thanks for all the input and assistance. I started with wax and then polishing compound. Did some by hand and some with buffer. Maybe one more swipe at the thing next time I bring it down from storage. Almost impossible to see except for the rear which was a bit deeper.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I always start with wax and work it with an electric buffer. If that doesn't do it, I go to a correction glaze. If that doesn't do it, I'll go to a buffing compound okay for clear coat.

Here's the secret.....if you were to start with a compound, you might get it out immediately, but overdo it and dull the paint. I prefer to use the least abrasive and go over it numerous times until it's obvious that it's not working, then move to he next level and try again. So......I would rather buff it 30 times with wax than one time with an abrasive to keep from making a mistake.
As one who details my own cars this is a great approach.
Good Luck

ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr