Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #1

Screen door transparency

This is definitely an off season, I am bored question! But we are newbies and our Ventana is our first RV, I noticed that when making a left hand turn it can be difficult to see clearly through the screen portion of our entry door. Does anyone else notice this or am I just too picky? Has anyone removed the screen door to increase visibility?
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DRL1950,
Several suppliers sell a wide angle lens. Go to Wide Angle Lenses - Product - Camping World for a sample. They are held to the glass via static electricity. I have 3 on my coach. Two on the front windshield and one at the center bottom of the entry door window. I do not use it when making turns. The one on the entry door window does come in handy as it allows me to see a vehicle that may be hanging around my right front bumper.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

I have also noted reduced visibility with our Ventana screen door; however, my complaint is while looking through it (at a somewhat oblique angle) from the passenger seat. I have not considered removing it, but I have been mentally engineering how I might replace the upper screen with a plexiglas or lexan window. I'm wondering if anyone else has actually done this, and how they did it.
jswickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswickard
I have also noted reduced visibility with our Ventana screen door; however, my complaint is while looking through it (at a somewhat oblique angle) from the passenger seat. I have not considered removing it, but I have been mentally engineering how I might replace the upper screen with a plexiglas or lexan window. I'm wondering if anyone else has actually done this, and how they did it.
That is what I have experienced, my wife has said the same this as a passenger. For me it is at times difficult to see oncoming traffic when I am trying to make a left turn.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

A friend did change his screen for plexiglass on his Mt. Aire. Had it done by prof. screen and door co. Looked great. Thought of doing this myself. There still is some screen at the bottom for some air circulation.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a rollup screen on my entry door--it works great!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I have a rollup screen on my entry door--it works great!
Ditto. DW just hated having to look through that screen while driving down the road and the roll up screen was a great addition. I think I got mine at Three T's...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Ditto. DW just hated having to look through that screen while driving down the road and the roll up screen was a great addition. I think I got mine at Three T's...

Rick
What is Three T's?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #9

Roll up screens sound like a good solution. How about some more info. What do they look like (photos anyone)? How do they seal around the edges to keep out small bugs? And seconding the previous question, what is three T's?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswickard View Post
Roll up screens sound like a good solution. How about some more info. What do they look like (photos anyone)? How do they seal around the edges to keep out small bugs? And seconding the previous question, what is three T's?
Sorry no pictures. The screen frame attaches to your screen door with double back tape. Ours has held well for > 4 years now. The screen pulls down from the top and is held at the bottom by a magnetic connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
What is Three T's?
Welcome to 3Ts RV

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #11

Three years owning my coach and never once used the screen door. Too hot, Too cold,Too dusty.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a picture that was posted some time ago:

The screen is contained by a track on either side which contains 'furry' strips that 'seal' the edge of the screen. It's held down by a magnetic strip at the bottom and retracts via a spring roller. The top roller assembly is screwed to the doorframe and the side rails and magnetic strip at the bottom are held on with double-sided adhesive.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #13

I have found some retractable window screens on the internet, some made in custom sizes. These, however, don't serve my needs very well because the screen door on my Ventana is not rectangular. They may work for people with screen visibility concerns on other coaches.

I have also found, again on an internet search, that there are screening materials labeled as "high visibility." While these may be a viable option, it's going to take a lot more research to compare visibility, costs and minimum orders. One site is High Transparency Visibility Screen Mesh data, prices, helpful information.

Would welcome input from anyone who has had experience with high visibility screening.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it possible that the screen on your door could be made removable? Perhaps with some twist latches or velcro to hold it in place?