RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Screening GNATS!!

So....it's a PURRRRFECT evening, ya open the screened windows on your rig, ya turn the overhead exhaust fans on low to draw in the pleasant evening air, ya sit back, perhaps with your favorite beverage, and you're really enjoying another one of those great RV'ing moments, when....ya just happen to glance up at the ceiling over one of your lamps, and THERE, in the glow of the lamp on the ceiling, is the BIGGEST accumulation of.....

gnats !!!

you've ever seen!!

Time to get and install a finer mesh (gauge) screening in at least some, if not all screen locations (including entry door).

Does anyone have opinions or suggestions about what kind of screening to look for??? I'm familiar with using splines and spline rollers, but worry I'll probably end up breaking a screen frame, ...we'll see. Then I'll have a question about ordering replacement screen frames or frame corner rounds from Newmar trying to use their VERY VAUGE part descriptions available on the on-line parts catalog.

Thanks.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
So....it's a PURRRRFECT evening, ya open the screened windows on your rig, ya turn the overhead exhaust fans on low to draw in the pleasant evening air, ya sit back, perhaps with your favorite beverage, and you're really enjoying another one of those great RV'ing moments, when....ya
Steve, If you make the mesh any tighter, you may just as well close the windows because air isn't going to flow through the screen.

For the most part, "Gnats" get in from the entry door. I have tried to make mine more secure however if you open the door on you rig .... all bets are off!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Steve, If you make the mesh any tighter, you may just as well close the windows because air isn't going to flow through the screen.

For the most part, "Gnats" get in from the entry door. I have tried to make mine more secure however if you open the door on you rig .... all bets are off!
I don't know anything about the screens, I'm still trying to decide on my first MH, but I do have a problem with gnats at work. I found a great and I do mean GREAT home remedy if they get in the MH.

Take an empty pickle jar (wide mouth jar) and fill with about an inch of apple cidar vinegar. Add a couple of drops of dish soap. Swish it around. Then cover with plastic wrap, poke about five holes in the wrap. When you start to notice them again, just swish the bottle again. It seems to last about a month or so. Make sure the holes in the plastic are about half the size of a pencil. I love looking at how many we caught, I never even knew that many were in the room.
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum SUE thanks for the home remedy bet it works everytime.
Hope its a Newmar for your interest just click on this link for model's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
jemma112 (Sue):

HEY!!....thanks for your help!! We're here on the prairies of S. Dakota and dem GNATS!! can get gruesome, so we're sure going to try your remedy. Will let ya know how it works.

Glad to have ya here in iRV2......WELCOME!!! and..again, THANKS for your suggestion.

Steve & Lynette
Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah!! Coax 'em all to come inside. Sorry, couldn't help myself!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #7

Same remedy works for fruit flies in the Fall.

BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote