Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Sealevel Tank Monitor Question

Specifically related to installation and use in a new Dutchstar 4369. I believe that the toilets are tied into the tank monitor system that Newmar includes in the unit. This prevents the toilets flushing when the tank is full.

My question is if you change to a tank monitor system like the Sealevel how does that connect to the coach so you get the same functionality that prevents overfilling the black/grey tanks?

Also, when ordering the coach, what can I or should I have Newmar add during the build to make the conversion to the Sealevel system easier to install?

Again, thanks a bunch for all the help as we start to drill down to the little details in defining the build and specials.

Regards,

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Specifically related to installation and use in a new Dutchstar 4369. I believe that the toilets are tied into the tank monitor system that Newmar includes in the unit. This prevents the toilets flushing when the tank is full.

My question is if you change to a tank monitor system like the Sealevel how does that connect to the coach so you get the same functionality that prevents overfilling the black/grey tanks?

Also, when ordering the coach, what can I or should I have Newmar add during the build to make the conversion to the Sealevel system easier to install?

Again, thanks a bunch for all the help as we start to drill down to the little details in defining the build and specials.

Regards,

Jim

On my 2014 DSDP, the toilets have their own monitoring system. There is a float valve installed on the top of the black tank for the toilet shut off. They are not connected to the monitoring system that Newmar installed. I installed the sea level system since I like a little more accuracy than the stock monitoring system which shows 1/3 increments. I can't tell you how to best install the sea level on the 4369 since it's a different floor plan. On the 4018, I was able to install the panel in the 1/2 bath outside wall which is directly above the tanks and access was simple since the tanks are just behind the peg board panel in the compartment just to the front of the passenger rear wheel. I did not modify the stock system and merely left it as installed. I was able to feed the control panel wire up the outside wall and accessing it through the toilet flush panel. I installed the sealevel panel directly above the toilet panel in the half bath. Very simple install. Perhaps Newmar would consider running the wires for you before they caulk the wire opening?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO change, No conflict.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations wa8yx, just noticed you had a blue flame, thanks for your help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

The Sea Level will be stand alone. So after you add it, you'll have 3 sets of tank monitors on your tanks.

Factory Newmar, toilets and the Sea Level.

Our Techma toilets use pads just like the factory tank readouts. Toilets read on the short side (pass. peg board) and the main readout sensors are on the tall (driver) side.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
@campbell36,

Also... I'm pretty sure (don't know exactly because I haven't made the upgrade yet... although it is on my list) that the SeeLevel monitor panel and sensor pads can just connect to the wires that are already in use by the existing Newmar panel and sensors. So... assuming you can identify which set of sensors on the tank is for the readout panel inside the RV (as opposed to the one(s) being used by the Tecma toilets to know when to prevent you from flushing), you should be able to just use them.

I think that SeeLevel even sells inserts that are designed to make their (usually smaller) panel fit in the opening left by removing the (mostly useless) display/monitor panel that Newmar installed.

Of course... you COULD also ask Newmar about a custom install and see if they'll just install the whole thing for you during manufacture! Would save a whole lot of trouble if they just did it for you!

Hope that helps... and good luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

I spent weeks trying to convince Newmar to install the SeeLevel system when we were building-out a DS, in lieu of standard tank Monitoring system and they would simply not even consider it, so I had spare wiring installed - just in case for a post-delivery install. But, it is correct, the existing wiring for the std tank monitoring system will work. However, I have no experience with the toilet sensors.

We ended up with the LA and learned the MA thru KA use a different tank monitoring system that employs a pressure sensor. If that is not accurate I will install the SeeLevel system.

Could never get a reason why Newmar would not install SeeLevel but, a number of forum members have done the install and say it's no big deal. If you elect the factory delivery Newmar Service might do the install for you - they are doing a number of installs for us prior to start of the PDI week.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Hi JCAT first I heard they will do the SeeLevel install. I read the wiring mods to prepare. So special to get wire then service takes it from there? Do you ship the parts?

What are some of your other service installs. I'm always amazed at what people think of and what Newmar will do.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Hi JCAT first I heard they will do the SeeLevel install. I read the wiring mods to prepare. So special to get wire then service takes it from there? Do you ship the parts?

What are some of your other service installs. I'm always amazed at what people think of and what Newmar will do.

Canuck53 - it was back in Sept and Oct that I was working with Ken Williamson and Newmar was clear - would not accept SeeLevel as a Special Request. I would still request it if you want it - doesn't hurt to ask and Newmar is constantly changing things.

Yes, I would request the Production Line do the wiring as a Special Request then ask Service to do the install, but I never asked service about doing a Seelevel install because I don't know the accuracy of the tank monitoring system on the High-line coaches. Again, install is not difficult; so I am told and existing wires can be utilized - but cost to have wiring installed as a Special Request is cheap insurance of good for something else.

Yes, I would then ship the parts to Newmar for the installation if Service agreed to perform the work.

As for our Service requests:
Raised panel below bedroom mirror (4553) (ordered cabinet doors)
weBoost cellular, 12v plug, roof antenna
WiFi Ranger Elite Antenna, GO2 router, 110v
Main water flow control valve, wireless sensors, opt wall switch
PI Surge Protector (w/ two displays), Huges Autoformer, 50amp receptical
Fully articulating exterior TV mounting bracket - replc the std
SS Baggage door trim
SS full step pkg

Had requested the TotalVision rear camera system but the cost was more than I could justify (the one installed on EX and KA). I shipped everything to service.

The "stuff" in the electrical bay I had all pre-wired with molded plugs so they just had to do the mounting and make one molded 50amp plug from the ATS (not easy in the available space but they did a perfect professional installation)

I can not say enough good things about Newmar's Service prior to the PDI - lots of communication and today they sent me (17) photos which I never even requested - from Nevin Miller.

Bottom line - "ask" the questions.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

That sounds awesome Jcat, please post more photos of what you had added. A lot of those are things I would want to have done as well.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #11

JCAT Thanks for the reply. The more ideas I collect the more my printer get a work out and you definitely have some unique ones.

What is a "Main water flow control valve, wireless sensors, opt wall switch"? and how and why is it used?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
I spent weeks trying to convince Newmar to install the SeeLevel system when we were building-out a DS, in lieu of standard tank Monitoring system and they would simply not even consider it, so I had spare wiring installed - just in case for a post-delivery install.

Could never get a reason why Newmar would not install SeeLevel but, a number of forum members have done the install and say it's no big deal.
JCAT --

I spent a lot of time with Swag on this and he gave me very good advice: If Newmar won't do it, have an experienced dealer or installer do it -- and do not miss this as an option.

The work is really not complicated, but it sure helps to have someone who knows what they're doing make it happen. For us, it was zero problem to have our dealer, Midway RV, do the work. After taking to Scott about this at great length, we ordered the two station SeeLevel monitor system -- one installed in the inside coach panel and one installed in the wet bay panel. The installation is clean and the read outs are terrific.

It is not an expensive option and in the long run is a very smart investment IMHO. This is especially true with the Dometic macerator toilets which, as you know, do not operate like the Thetford units -- the Thetfords give you green, orange and red LED lights to guage the black tank level as you go, with availability of an "emergency" flush if you need it (like at 1:00 a.m. when you really don't want to go outside to dump the black tank), but the Dometic toilets don't. You go from green to red and you are shut off with no "emergency" flush. So having a panel that reads in percentages is a lot better than 1/3, 2/3, Full. I think Newmar should consider making SeeLevel a standard feature as long as they continue to supply the Dometic toilets.

I am very happy that Scott talked me into this option for both monitors and I am glad that I could get Midway to install it professionally and at reasonable cost.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

Hi Deek,

Yes SWAG was very good in supplying details on this option. Not sure I want to tackle it so I was just checking out options. Which model did you get for inside and out? Swag I believe picked the 714 showing all the levels at once.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
JCAT --

I spent a lot of time with Swag on this and he gave me very good advice: If Newmar won't do it, have an experienced dealer or installer do it -- and do not miss this as an option.

The work is really not complicated, but it sure helps to have someone who knows what they're doing make it happen. For us, it was zero problem to have our dealer, Midway RV, do the work. After taking to Scott about this at great length, we ordered the two station SeeLevel monitor system -- one installed in the inside coach panel and one installed in the wet bay panel. The installation is clean and the read outs are terrific.

It is not an expensive option and in the long run is a very smart investment IMHO. This is especially true with the Dometic macerator toilets which, as you know, do not operate like the Thetford units -- the Thetfords give you green, orange and red LED lights to guage the black tank level as you go, with availability of an "emergency" flush if you need it (like at 1:00 a.m. when you really don't want to go outside to dump the black tank), but the Dometic toilets don't. You go from green to red and you are shut off with no "emergency" flush. So having a panel that reads in percentages is a lot better than 1/3, 2/3, Full. I think Newmar should consider making SeeLevel a standard feature as long as they continue to supply the Dometic toilets.

I am very happy that Scott talked me into this option for both monitors and I am glad that I could get Midway to install it professionally and at reasonable cost.

Deek
Hi Deek,

Yes, Scott and I also talked about this and hence my additional wiring was installed. I think you made the best possible choice.

I could never get an answer from Newmar why they would not do the SeeLevel install, at least as a "Special Request". Just wouldn't do it and that made no sense but, when we went to the LA the issue seemed mitigated ( we'll see about that) with the pressure sensor for tanks which is interfaced to the SilverLeaf. When I learned that, I decided to wait and see how accurately the LA tank monitoring system performed because interfacing SeeLevel with SilverLeaf was not something I was prepared to undertake. BUT, just in case I called SilverLeaf to understand if they could do the SeeLevel interface and that was an affirmative. Since SilverLeaf is only 500mi North I figured I had all bases covered.

No question; SeeLevel will out perform the std tank monitoring system and having two displays is the way to go.

Tags
seal, tank