Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Searching for Newmar Coach Answers (to purchase)

Hi All,
Just thought this would be a great place to get your honest opinions on Owning a Newmar.

We are on our second coach and currently own a nice 2010 Tiffin 42.5' Phaeton Bath and Half. We have been pleased with her. But for some reason seem to be drawn to the Newmar Mountaineer or newer Dutch Star Tags. Its been my observation that their interiors are catching up in design and "niceties" with some of their counterparts. Im also taken by the Comfort Drive and IFS. I have seen the videos of the changes for 14.

I think what I would like to know is ....as owners, how has your experience been with this brand and most importantly factory service. Many of you have heard how Bob Tiffin deals with this and I am thinking the Millers stand behind there product as well.
We travel about 10-15k miles per year and work out of it when on the road. Reliability, floor plan and serviceability are important.
I also know that no coach is without problems etc.

It appears Newmars reputation and construction are top notch, but certainly would like to hear from anyone on their opinions as owners especially with say 2009 to now models.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sal
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

We switched from Monaco to Newmar and could not be happier. Had some problems with our first Newmar and the factory was all over it. Tiffin owners love their coaches and Bob Tiffin stands behind his product. Without diving into a lot of discussion over construction techniques, floor plans, and all the Ford vs Chevy stuff. The tie breaker is Comfort Drive, we're on Coach #5, have logged lot's of miles, and the Comfort Drive makes the driving experience as enjoyable as the slide out makes the camping experience.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

I purchased a 5 year old Essex last year, the coach had been fantastic. When ever I have had a question about operation or function the Newmar support team has been fantastic. Always the nicest and most helpful people.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum
You may want to take a look at the Hoot's threads in QT's # 3 and especially PDR John's who is using his coach full time in his line of work.
Another is Pessman's who took allot of pictures of his build and features added during his build.
Good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

Many Newmar owners do not need the trips to the factory that Tiffin's need. Eight years(85,000 miles) and NO factory(except when new) or dealer maintenance. Cummins visit twice(small items). Spartan once for new tires. Two cracked windshields. All other issues fixed by us-mostly minor-did have to replace one slide motor and a freshwater pump/etc..

Picked up coach at factory new, spent two weeks traveling nearby and returned to factory for final issues.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Although we don't have a DP we LOVE our gas Mountain Aire. The wokmanship and materials used are hands down a #1 accomplishment. Good Luck in your search and hope you find the coach that works best for you. Hope to see you down the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BigDogSolo,
Thought you might like to hear from someone who has a 9 year old Newmar DP. The coach was purchased new. It has over 90K miles on it. Many times across the USA. We 1/2 time in the coach. Spend about 7 to 8 months a year in it. The bottom line is as long as I can find the floor plan to meet my needs, a Newmar is the brand I will buy. Nobody is perfect. However, from manufacturing quality to factory service to dealer service, I have been treated well.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The reason we decided to go with Newmar is all the things people had to have fixed and all the trips to Red Bay to have them fixed. If you mean up to speed by the fact they they use roofs that crack and have chosen not to offer comfort steer then I would agree.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
For the previous two years, we had been dealing with two different Newmar dealers on a 43 ft Ventana but for one reason or another, we just couldn't come to $$ terms. We REALLY liked the Comfort Drive, but disliked the smaller ISC engine (380hp, 1050 tq) and also I had a problem with the passenger side overhead cabinets in the living/kitchen area (obstruction running the length of the cabinets). Everything else in the Ventana was, as far as I was concerned, perfect. Unfortunately, the dealers we were dealing with, just seemed to think that I would pay more than I thought the coach was worth. We even tried to deal on a two year old "new" Ventana....again to no avail.

So, we started looking at other makes that was comparable to the Ventana and finally landed at a Tiffin dealer and found that the Phaeton series had a model that was very much like the Ventana, but seemed (at least to us) to be a little better quality with the exception of the lack of Comfort Drive. Plus it had the larger ISL (400hp, 1250 tq) with the two speed engine brake, dishwasher and fireplace. Of course the deciding factor was the price and the willingness of the dealer to deal in earnest. The Phaeton's sticker price was more than the Ventana, but our purchase price was more than 10K less than the lowest price we could get for the Ventana. It was still a little more than what we had really budgeted for, but seemed to be the best we would get for that level of coach.

So it mostly all boiled down to $$, as just about everything else does and engine size. Both coaches seemed to be very good units, but of course, only time will tell. I'm sure that which ever coach you decide on, whether it be Tiffin or Newmar, you will be getting a quality coach that you can be proud of.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #10

BigDogSolo - we're on our 3rd Newmar. Wouldn't have purchased the second one if we weren't pleased with the first and certainly wouldn't have purchased the 3rd if we weren't pleased with the first two.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me thinks Greg Waid just might be a mole! Fact, the OP knows about Tiffin they own a 2010 Phaeton! JMO but well thought out.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your input to the discussion Ron its good to know facts as to why people will buy other brands of coach's.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #13

....For the many Responses

While I don't want to stop anyone from responding, just want to thank those that took the time.

As a MH owner, I know we all like our coaches. And generally speaking (IMHO) given the same year etc and like models, there is probably more alike from brand to brand than there are major differences.
Sometimes it boils down to price, sometimes availability, sometimes a slight difference in floorplans. Interesting that if you look at floorplans how many design "Ideas" come from some other previous model (brand).

We (I) often seem to look for that one extra difference. I have been to the Foretravel factory and they have plenty of things I believe make them different and pretty nice. But your investment is "different" also.

But I also think for the price Newmar is providing a lot of new design and innovation and again between the Comfort drive and IFS, side radiator, floor plans and reputation, I think that's what has my interest.
I like my Tiffin. Its a very livable floor plan. But.... I also think that I shouldn't have to take Bob up on his offer to spend 7 weeks (or whatever time) at Red Bay to fix things that should have come off the line with better quality control. After all we are spending a good some of dough on these rolling homes. Im not knocking my Tiffin and glad the TIffin family stands behind their product. But if I am not mistaken, I think Newmar does also.

Are there any design issues that Newmar has gone back to the drawing board on?

Thanks again for the time.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a few North Star , New Aire , London Aire , London Aire Bus just to name a few.

Tags
newmar, purchase