Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Seeking Advice - Airtight coach

I need to seal all air spaces between the coach and the basement.

The hydrohot has not been run during the past 4 weeks, however, the basement has a strong diesel exhaust odor... and that odor is getting into the coach. I suspect the basement carpet is saturated with the exhaust fumes and there is no hope of cleaning all that carpet.

So, I must seal all places where the plumbing and the wires pass from the basement into the floor of the coach. Should be simple enough... but there is mesh that prevents direct access to these holes. I can see a wire or a pipe pass through the mesh and the interface is sealed with black silicon. I am certain the mesh is not airtight, so I need to cut the mesh, fill any hole in the plywood with some kind of airtight foam, and then fix the mesh with a patch of some kind.

Any wisdom to share before I start slicing and dicing on this mesh?

Mike - 2006 Essex

PS.
The fumes in the coach are strongest from the Clothes washer closet, so I removed the outdoor entertainment center and will start my sealing process there. Lots of pipes and wires in this area.
azSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
go buy some GoodStuff spayfoam insulation at Home Depot or Lowes and seal any suspect openings, it seals well , is waterproof and easy to cut out if needed! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You start cutting the mesh will only increase your problem.
If the carpet smell is your problem I would remove that and place new carpet that you can buy a Wally World in their auto section.
You should check the filters of engine compartment and see why your collecting all the diesel smell if you had a diesel leak that should be the area carpets I would remove first.
Been on this board for 12 years and your the first I have heard of this problem with any diesel coach.
Hydro Hot could have a leak of diesel fuel under unit that should be checked also.
All your plumbing and some wiring is running between the floor mesh, using the sealant mentioned will plug holes with out causing a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

This smell is not a fuel smell, but an exhaust smell. I am pretty sure it is not engine exhaust nor is it generator. The hydrohot is right there and the Previous owner did experience several recent episodes of hyrdohot malfunction of some kind (had receipts).

Replacing the carpet is a huge effort. It runs up the walls of the basement and covers both the flooring underneath the slides and on top of the slide-out trays.

>> All your plumbing and some wiring is running between the floor mesh, using the sealant mentioned will plug holes with out causing a problem.

I very much want to use a sealant, but I want to apply it where the pipe or wire runs through the plywood flooring... which is under the mesh.

Now, maybe baby steps is appropriate here. The mesh is well sealed where wiring passes through near the hydrohot itself. But, the mesh is wide open where plumbing passes through the flooring underneath the washing machine. I can seal several holes there without any cutting of the mesh and then I can patch up and seal the mesh.

I think I will try sealing the holes I already have access to and then sealing the mesh and see how much that helps.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I am also having the exhaust smell in my basement but it is not getting into the coach. My Hydro Hot was in need of service when I got the RV. I changed the nozzle and filter, and now it is operating like it should, but the exhaust smell is still present. I was thinking about trying to clean the carpet.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

1. Would cleaning and a good airing out solve the problem? I'm thinking a week with a given bay or two open and fans placed to circulate air.

2. I would be looking at putting a Carbon Monoxide detector in the area. Nothing should be spewing exhaust fumes down there. They should be venting to the outside. Smell from a former problem is one thing. An ongoing problem needs to be fixed at the source.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

>> Would cleaning and a good airing out solve the problem?

I have had the doors open for 3 days with a steady breeze present. Didn't reduce the odor intensity at all. This is while parked and consuming no diesel whatsoever.

>> I would be looking at putting a Carbon Monoxide detector in the area.

This is one more reason I think I am focusing on making the coach airtight. Foul or not, air should not be moving from the basement into the coach... IMO.

Tags
advice