Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
You said you ordered one, your dealer might help you with that process out of courtesy for buying a new one, mine did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I agree with you.

Some like to brag that they pay cash for everything.

It's not bragging, it's called planning ahead. Sure I would have liked to buy a house at 25, but waited until 35 and paid cash, saved a life time of making interest payments to a bank for something I couldn't afford. I listened and learned from my depression era parents and for me it worked out very well, I never had to worry about making a payment for anything.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Sorry, a lot of us don't have $100,000.00 to buy a rv.

So the solution is to make payments with interest and pay more for the RV? H'mm, reminds me of a dog chasing his tail.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Some like to brag that they pay cash for everything.
Why should you pay cash when you can borrow money cheaper than what you get in interest on your money, then deduct the interest too?
Make 7% and pay 5% and use the 5% interest as a deduction too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

It's not bragging, it's called planning ahead. Sure I would have liked to buy a house at 25, but waited until 35 and paid cash, saved a life time of making interest payments to a bank for something I couldn't afford. I listened and learned from my depression era parents and for me it worked out very well, I never had to worry about making a payment for anything.
You are very lucky to have an income that will allow you to save enough to pay cash for a house in ten years. I applaud you for having the discipline to do so.

Most people out there would not be able to save enough money for a down payment on a house in ten years and it is not because they dont have the ability to plan. They just dont have the income.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
You are very lucky to have an income that will allow you to save enough to pay cash for a house in ten years. I applaud you for having the discipline to do so.

Most people out there would not be able to save enough money for a down payment on a house in ten years and it is not because they dont have the ability to plan. They just dont have the income.
That's what I'm getting at, not many people could save $200,000.00 in ten years to buy a house because they are making $50,000.00 and have to live.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #35

Quote:
That's what I'm getting at, not many people could save $200,000.00 in ten years to buy a house because they are making $50,000.00 and have to live.

Maybe that's the problem, they shouldn't start out with a $200k house. The $$ saved in 10 years should dictate the house you buy. You can either save for the house before or after, but you will end up paying for it eventually.
Borrowing $$ is another form of gambling that hopefully you can still pay for it in the future. I had a co-worker lose his home to foreclosure and it was not pretty but was predictable unfortunately.
As far as saving $$, wife and I had a plan to live on her income and save all my income for 5 years, again plan ahead. Different strokes for different folks, but saving $$ ahead of purchase does work for some people.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
"Sure I would have liked to buy a house at 25, but waited until 35 and paid cash,"

That's half of picture. The other half is you paid rent for those ten years and then had to move. You paid off your house ten years later than others who bought ten years ago. During those ten years you saved and paid rent and did without 20k/yr of income to save 20k/yr to buy a 220k ten years later. Neither plan is much better than the other.

There are tax benefits to financing a home, and a second home. My MH is my second home. The cash I could have paid is doing fine elsewhere.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
"You are very lucky to have an income"

I doubt it's luck, it's likely a bit of talent and a lot of hard work. We watch these freaks of nature called the NFL. A guy who's 6'5" weighing 245, runs a 4.5 40 and can dance like a gazzelle. Some of that is talent on loan from the Almighty, but most of it is hard work, the kind of hard work the rest of us CHOSE not to do. The only LUCK is that he saw his talent soon enough to put in the work in time to make it pay. I actually doubt that with the same religious dedication, I could ever play in the NFL, I don't have the talent and I like beer and couches too much, but I digress. It's the same for all of us. I could have CHOSEN to be a brain surgeon, took on DEBT to invest in my future earning potential, but I didn't want to put in the work. LUCK has little to do with wealth, most of it is hard work on top of talent. Without the hard work, talent is wasted.

And don't believe that only the children of the wealthy go to college. Any truthful college grad will testify college takes alot of effort and a comparatively little money. The effort to go to class for 4-6 hours a day isn't too bad, but the following 6 to 9 hours of studying that follows is a beast. These are 10 -15 hour days for 4 - 5 years to get a bachelors. Oh, you want grad school? The multiplier goes to 2.5; 4 hours of class = 10 hours of study.

Luck; no. Talent; some. Work; yeah there you go.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #38

Bought ours as a private sale. We had the funds in negotiable form. Went into the sellers bank together & sat down with his banker. An escrow acct was opened. Funds went in. Title went into our hands. Bank used funds to bay off balance of the lien. Seller got the balance & transferred it to his acct. Nothing left in escrow acct. Acct closed. Took all of 15 minutes. Painless all round.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell