Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #1

I just wanted to report that I took delivery of my new 2007 DSDP last week. I consider myself very fortunate to have read the advice from everyone on this forum prior to ordering. Got back this afternoon from a short shake down cruise and everything worked without any problems at all. (But I still have lots of booklets to read.) Thanks to everyone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #2

I just wanted to report that I took delivery of my new 2007 DSDP last week. I consider myself very fortunate to have read the advice from everyone on this forum prior to ordering. Got back this afternoon from a short shake down cruise and everything worked without any problems at all. (But I still have lots of booklets to read.) Thanks to everyone.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #3

Great to hear of your positive experience on your first run. This is a more normal thing for Newmars and many other new rigs. I guess many times we hear about the problems encountered as apposed to the non issue units.
Congradulations, and welcome to the forum.

Peter
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #4

Hi Bill! Best of Luck with your new coach. If any questions or problems pop up don't be afraid to ask. Also let us know how you enjoy your coach. Paul
Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats Bill you finally have it many happy and safe miles ahead.

P.S. I added your Karma under your signin.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

Good luck with your new DSDP 4023 Bill. We took delivery of the same model in April '06 and have had a minimal of small problems and no major ones with 9300 miles logged thus far in two cross country trips. We love it and are so glad we moved up from the Beaver. Feel free to contact me with questions you may have.

'07 DSDP 4023
dolsen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #7

I need some help. My brother just (last week) picked up a brand new Mountainaire 4528 which from the surface looks beautiful. The coach was broken into at the dealer before deliver and some TVs were stolen and in the process the front cabinets and the entry door was buggered up badly. They tried but couldn't get the door repainted before deliver. Things went poorly after that.

He was told the LP tank level indicator (lights in the over the driver console) wasn't working right and just to use it as it might shake loose.

Several exterior paint defects. Not huge but obvious.

Interior light switches do not control as they are labeled.

Glove box interior panel fell off (not glued in properly)

Girard awning does not close completely (always a gap showing)

Water tank punctured when the exterior LCD was put in. Two large screws holding the swinging bracket went into the tank and when he filled it past half full, it flooded the complete lower storage bay (soaked). The dealer told him that they had completely filled and pressure tested it. Not possible (they only went half way and of course no pressure test). How this left the factory without being properly tested is beyond me.

He has 3 pages of items that are either defective, not put in, put in wrong or just plain not right. The coach hasn't yet been registered (he is doing that today) but I told him that he should return the coach as this is far past acceptable quality.

When the dealer put new TVs in, one remote will turn on all the TVs and he was told to put his hand over the IR receiver and then turn on/off each TV as needed. The video/audio source switcher does not work (I know something about these things).

The cable hookups do not work.

There is a leak in the small bathroom sink. (it's obvious, again how could this leave the factory like this?)

The list goes on and on but he loves the way the coach looks. I understand the emotional thing but really, at what point does one say it just wasn't built right? That and the dealer obviously never did any prep but sure did take the money. How can you send out a new buyer with a water tank punctured, tell them you tested it when the very first time it got filled it flooded the entire storage bay?

I know Newmar has a good name but this isn't some 30 thousand dollar car and even then I would never put up with this type of performance.

He bought this to be his home, flew out from California to NC to pick it up and now the whole trip has been nothing more than one thing after another. The exterior TV sits in the storage bay in bubble wrap because the walls has to be cut out (water soaked), the whole lower bay carpets and walls are water logged.

I have heard excuse after excuse about how these things happen. Maybe they happen because excuses are accepted? I'm looking at getting a coach or tractor conversion to use as a primary residence too but I sure don't think anyone should have to rebuild something to make it right.

A shakedown is one thing, 3 pages of defects is another. Why is it that the more things cost, the more defects are just the routine?

Is this par for the course for Newmar or are other brands less troublesome or is this just a rarity?

If it were me, I'd head straight up to the Newmar factory and tell them to fix everything. This has ruined 3 weeks worth of hard earned time away from work (he and his wife and me).

What is the best way to deal with this from his position? There is time to run up to Newmar before heading back.
maybesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 AM   #8

No, I don't believe this is normal at all. It is, however very upsetting and of course not acceptable. Yes. A trip to the factory is definately the thing to do. You certainly can.t expect a dealer to be able to correct so many issues or be even capable of such.
The factory visit is a requirement in my opinion to get this righted. In the end, hopefully and probably, the unit will deliver everything it should and be the coach he hoped for.

Peter
Old 05-25-2007, 05:18 AM   #9

Hi! Who was the dealer? Call Newmar High Line and ask them what to do. The best bet at this point will probably be the factory for most of the problems. It will be interesting to see if the factory will step in and help with a poor dealer PDI. Keep us informed. Good Luck with the new coach. Paul
Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 AM   #10

Thanks folks, I'm planning a trip there via MapPoint and I'll present him with a travel plan there instead of heading back home right away. I know this is a holiday weekend but it might take us 2 days to get there anyway and we have an invite to a pig roast on Saturday. Leaving Sunday would put us at Newmar on Tues morning if we take our time.

The coach is beautiful and only seeing how this can be done made me confident to give this a shot myself.

I'm hoping to jump in late this summer if plans go well.

BTW, I've got a lot of experience in mobile Internet, interior panel and accessory fabrications and so on so if anyone needs some info I'd be glad to help out. If you are trying to put a piece of electronic equipment where no one ever thought it should go, I might be able to help you.

Thanks again, it's great to know you don't have to go this alone.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #11

While going to Nappanee certainly seems the better way to get these issues dealt with, from our experience you will need an appointment with Newmar. At least you do for non-highline products. Someone else may have some insight as to who to contact etc.

Sorry to hear about the situation and best of luck.

2005 Dodge Durango
Iowa Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #12

It's a highline product so hopefully they can help a bit.

Finding more things so maybe the length of the list will be some motivation to address the items. I'm pretty confident will deal with the issues and that is probably much better than the dealer.

To avoid some complications with getting service, I'll wait until some final resolutions are in place before saying which dealer, if folks don't mind. I will say that when it comes time for me to get my rig late in the summer, a different dealer will be in order even if my choice is a Newmar vehicle. If someone really needs to know, please email/message me via this forum and I'll tell you, I'd just rather not say right here until my Brother gets some resolutions. I've got my email settings so I can accept contacts.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #13

Newmar's Highline service got the fresh water tank replaced.

Check my other post for some more info, it's on the meeting at Camp Newmar thread.