Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Shaved/Scalloped Tag Axle Tire. How?

Noticed on my TPMS system that my driver-side tag axle tire was running a little hot the other day. When I examined the tire it is shaved on the outside which could be because the tag axle wasn't aligned correctly (ie Newmar PIB 458).

What I don't understand is how the tire got scalloped. The picture below shows a normal tire. I have 12,700 miles on the tires and the sidewall indents are all about 25 millimeters in length.

The pictures below are of the left and right sides of the driver-side tag axle tire. (The other tag is fine). The larger indents on this tire are about 17mm and the worst one is only 8mm.

This is not an over/under inflation problem. Tire pressures are checked regularly and I have a TPMS as well.

Does anyone understand how this could happen?

AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #2

seems to me like the tag is not locked in place when traveling down the road at higher speeds....tires are wobbling and creating the abnormal wear.....mis aligned tag would create even uneven wear....

but i'm no expert.....

can you feel any abnormal shimmy going down the road in the rear of the coach ?

also, is your VIN on the list for the recall / TSB on the mis aligned tag ?

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

Haven't noticed any shimmy and the VIN is on the PIB 458 list for potential tag axle problem.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Haven't noticed any shimmy and the VIN is on the PIB 458 list for potential tag axle problem.
well, you'll be getting the alignment work done, and some new tires, as well.....

i'd request that all 6 in the back were replaced.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #5

Our 2017 Dutch Star driver side tag went completely bald after 9000 miles. Called Freightliner and ended up having to have the tag axel re-aligned. Freightliner paid for the the readjustment of the axel, an alignment and a new tire. Call Freightliner direct.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had some similar scalloping on the 2nd inside runner on my tag. discussed it at length with the techs at Spartan last month. All I came away with was "...unusual tire wear is an unusual animal on tag axles with a single tire..."

I have tried several times to contact Michelin as recommended, but it is much more difficult to get pictures of mine versus yours and I have about 40k on my tires. I think you would be best talking to a tire expert at one of the truck repair outfits that service passenger buses, as they are the most common single tire tag application. It is hard for me to believe that the techs at Spartan had no idea, but maybe a Freightliner repair facility might have a better idea...or send thew pictures to Michelin...if you can get them to answer the phone:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #7

Called Newmar today. They set up a call with FL. All I can say is GREAT customer service all around! I'm all set up for a tag axle alignment and a new tire. Would have been nice if it wasn't needed, but when it hits the fan, it is nice when companies step up.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Called Newmar today. They set up a call with FL. All I can say is GREAT customer service all around! I'm all set up for a tag axle alignment and a new tire. Would have been nice if it wasn't needed, but when it hits the fan, it is nice when companies step up.

Please let us know what they find. Also, at which Freightliner location did Newmar schedule the appointment? Hope it all works out well!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #9

Just went through the same thing with rear tag tires on our King Aire. We have approx. 50K miles on the rig and no problem until the trip to International last Fall. Drove fine no shimmy, etc. This Spring, noticed the right tag was in terrible shape. Coach Care, KC looked at it and found the rear tag trailer-arm bushings were shot. It became a nightmare that lasted almost 30 days since Spartan didn't know which size bushings were on the coach. Cummins supposedly measured then and obviously mine were the size that were not immediately available....one month to mfg and ship. Then...they were the wrong ones. The other size were immediately available and were received within a couple of days. But the process was, after the bushings were replaced and two tag tires installed, plus two rear shocks, the trailing arms had to be re-welded. Total cost with tires around 5K! Wish there was a moral to the story.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Rd1

This problem had been known to freightliner since very early 2015. Yet they continue producing this defective chassis. The problem with the tag
and alignment, and in many cases even a miss-aligned drive axle existed thru 2016 models, onto 2017 models and according to their own employee, it has not been completely corrected with their 2018 models. see post #17

Passive Steer Freightliner vs. Spartan

The question is, why freightliner is taking chances with the livelihood of their customers? What would have happened if you had not caught the problem and eventually ended up with a blown tire? This problem is very widespread and there are many others who do not know they have this alignment problem. A blown tire at speed can cause a great deal damage to the coach, and a potential for accident. who would be liable for that? Would you have been happy if the blown tire had damaged your coach and you had to waste many weeks at a body shop for repairs?

with all due respect, in place of praising freightliner for fixing a problem they have known for close to 3 years and have been hiding it, we should be encouraging freightliner to come clean and issue a recall for all their defective passive steer tag axle. Just like yourself, there are many other owners who do not know they have this problem and may not be as fortunate as you to notice the issue before it becomes a blown tire. What would happen if an innocent individual were to get hurt from an accident caused by a blown tire?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=212
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Interesting post. I have a Spartan chassis no tire wear, but I have noticed my tire temperature on my tag drivers side and passenger side runs about 5 to 10 degrees hotter per my TPMS than any other tire.

I inquired with Spartan and they had no answer. They did check everything out but nothing surfaced. I am now thinking it is just the TPMS system. I will continue to check for tire wear.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty56 View Post
Interesting post. I have a Spartan chassis no tire wear, but I have noticed my tire temperature on my tag drivers side and passenger side runs about 5 to 10 degrees hotter per my TPMS than any other tire.

I inquired with Spartan and they had no answer. They did check everything out but nothing surfaced. I am now thinking it is just the TPMS system. I will continue to check for tire wear.
It could be less air movement I have noticed that the side that is facing the sun will heat up more. Just a thot
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty56 View Post

Mike, I came away from Spartan with the sure feeling that they know nothing about tire wear (see my post earlier)...about the only thing they could explain was what is called "rivering" which they said was an even type of wear on the inside edge of the tire...and they said (don't know whether to believe it) that there isn't much that can be done about it. Still haven't gotten a Michelin expert on the phone:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just so you know, once a tire develops an issue, like scalloping or edge wear, even if corrected, the wear will continue to advance. The reason.....once a tire has wear issues and doesn't make correct contact with the road, it will start "scuffing". A tire will wear rubber away faster when a portion is scuffing then when it's contacting the pavement properly.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote