Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Question Shock absorbers BAD ?

We are just finishing a month on the road and are on the way home. During the our trip found many states with bad roads with pot holes, bad bridge entry and exits and bridge surface.

It seemed that the motor home would hit these bad road conditions very had.

I do not know how a RV with air bags would act with bad shocks on rough road conditions.

The RV does not bounce like a car with bad shocks does.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks
Dwight
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
As what you mentioned, the shocks are working properly; you might be over inflated on your tires, try to drop them a few pounds, ± 5 lbs, you will feel a nice difference.
The air bags just replace the conventional coil spring suspension or they are addition to; the same over inflated tires will give you a rough ride, air bags or not.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are your air bags inflating? Have you ever had coach weighted for proper tire inflation?
May need new shocks if they are the originals.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #4

If the shocks have fluid running down the shock they are bad. You can also take the bolt out of the bottom of the shock and move the shock up and down and you should feel resistance.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Beowulf2 mentions that the rv does not bounce, so this means that the shocks are good ! Either orverinflated tires or air bags is the cause for the rough ride.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. Finally got home and got the computer up and running. I did call TCI about the tires and they calculated the tire pressure to be 105 to 110 psi. I dropped the front pressures from 120 to 110 and it did make a differance. The tires are one year old Michelins 275 R70 22.5 and if I remember the old tires were 270's. Air bags look fine have not really checked the shocks. However, I lost a front hub cap ( first in four years ) and developed a refrigerant leak in the rear AC unit. "I blaming the bumpy roads for the leak" HA HA The trip was over 4,000 miles and if this is all the trouble if feel lucky.

Thanks,
Dwight
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf2 View Post
Thanks for the comments. Finally got home and got the computer up and running. I did call TCI about the tires and they calculated the tire pressure to be 105 to 110 psi. I dropped the front pressures from 120 to 110 and it did make a differance. The tires are one year old Michelins 275 R70 22.5 and if I remember the old tires were 270's. Air bags look fine have not really checked the shocks. However, I lost a front hub cap ( first in four years ) and developed a refrigerant leak in the rear AC unit. "I blaming the bumpy roads for the leak" HA HA The trip was over 4,000 miles and if this is all the trouble if feel lucky.

Thanks,
Dwight
You really should get the coach weighed and then set the psi to the manufacturer's specifications plus 5% as a safety factor. Individual wheel weights would be best, but even axle weights from a CAT scale are better than nothing.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs