Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #1

Today when I was under my 2006 Essex installing the air brake line for my M&G braking system I noticed that both shocks on my drive axle had the rods pulled right out of the main body of the shocks. I just bought this coach used a week ago from a private party so I am going thru the step to check it all out and get everything working correctly myself. Spartan says that the coach was most likely over extended on the jacks. Can that really happen? Has anyone ever heard of this? Spartan is going to cover it but I sure wouldn't want it to happen again. Also I wonder how long this coach has been driven this way? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Ric.....
Ric French is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

Today when I was under my 2006 Essex installing the air brake line for my M&G braking system I noticed that both shocks on my drive axle had the rods pulled right out of the main body of the shocks. I just bought this coach used a week ago from a private party so I am going thru the step to check it all out and get everything working correctly myself. Spartan says that the coach was most likely over extended on the jacks. Can that really happen? Has anyone ever heard of this? Spartan is going to cover it but I sure wouldn't want it to happen again. Also I wonder how long this coach has been driven this way? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Ric.....
Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

Hey Rick, Welcome to the forum. Nice to see you on this side of the pond. I've never dealt with any like issues, but Spartan's thoughts sound valid. They really know there chassis. Additionally there are many experienced owners of Essex and like coaches equipped with the K-2 chassis that will pipe in, I'm sure.
Your coach is beutiful and has very few miles on it.

Peter Lot #1
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome Peter, I was pretty sure I would find out what I needed to know about my problem on this forum, I have browsed a lot of the posting over the last week. In fact I enjoyed following along on your trip to the Keys, sounds like a fun group.
One trip to North Trail and $2000.00 fixed all the problems with this coach that I couldn't. It looks like most of the problems were caused by lack of use. Dishwasher motor rusted, entry door awning motor rusted, low water in the batteries. The bedroom Eplex screen was just a contrast issue, but when NT upgraded the program in it they loaded the program for the Oasis heater, which I don't have, so now they have the screen and are fixing the program issue. You are right about using that screen in the bedroom; it is much easier than the overhead screen. As of yesterday everything was working fine and we are really settling in and enjoying this coach, it is such a solid coach it feels more like a home than a motorhome.
We had planned to drive up to watch the shuttle on Weds, in fact we have reservations at The Great Outdoors for two days to do this. Now I'm not sure about driving up with the shocks the way they are. The shocks on the tag are just fine so maybe it won't make that much different. And for all I know this coach could have been driven this way for the last 12,000 miles. Had I not got under the coach yesterday and saw the shocks I would have driven down the road fat, dumb, and happy.
Look forward to hearing what other folks think.

Ric......
Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #5

Rick, As far as driving the coach with the two broken shocks, you might want to call Spartan. Talk to Chris McCord. He can advise best as to the viability of driving it in thst condition.

Peter
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ric,
Welcome to iRV2. Since you are only 17 miles from North Trail, give Rob Sanders a call. I'll bet he can get you an appointment right away to have both of those shocks replaced. Then you can go watch the shuttle. That would be two awsome events in one week (shocks and shuttle).

FYI, I am about 90 miles due East of you, on route 80.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #7

Ric, Don't feel too bad because I had one shock broken[drivers side] after picking up my new essex.Could not tell very easily that the shock was broken until my first service at about 6k.I called spartan and they sent out 2 shocks for the front,had my tech install them and now i know how it feels with all shocks functioning.Good luck with your essex and enjoy the launch.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #8

I thought I saw Rick leaving this morning, hopefully to see the shuttle. I don't know whether he got the shocks replaced yet or not.

Peter
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #9

I did leave and I saw the shuttle launch today. I did not get the shocks fixed yet, will do that Monday AM. I thought I would give it a try and see what I thought of the way it handled. I could not tell that everything wasn't fine, it handled great. Now when I get them fixed I can compare the ride, but I can't imagine that it could ride any better, it was just a great trip up here, of course it is pretty good road.

Ric...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #10

I want to thank everybody who gave advice, I had North Trail replace the shocks on Monday and I think there was a little less bouncing but it was hard to tell for sure it handled very well with and without. I now have everything on the coach working correctly and I am loving everthing about the Essex.

Thanks again.

Ric....